BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-10-2015, 09:20 AM   #89
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
just paste the video link, nothign else. It will automatically embed the video

Car sounds good, it's very mellow
Thanks, fixed it.
      09-10-2015, 01:20 PM   #90
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
BMW Performance Aero Kit

Picked the car up from the body shop today, and couldn't be happier with the result. The car looks fantastic. I feel like it finally has the looks to match it's personality, and think everything really accentuates each other nicely - the color, the body kit, the Euro headlamps and black line tail lamps - the car really does look good from every angle now. Pictures hardly do it justice, but here you go:

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 2192
Size:  599.1 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 2102
Size:  418.8 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 2119
Size:  488.6 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 2069
Size:  446.8 KB

I'd say the car is more or less done cosmetically. Maybe some of the carbon fiber bits later on down the line, we'll see. I'm very happy with the current look just as it is, though.

In other good news, got my Simon 3 cable from the good people at Active today, so I'll be reading the ECU and sending the file out this afternoon. Crossing fingers for a quick turnaround.
      09-10-2015, 02:01 PM   #91
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Picked the car up from the body shop today, and couldn't be happier with the result. The car looks fantastic. I feel like it finally has the looks to match it's personality, and think everything really accentuates each other nicely - the color, the body kit, the Euro headlamps and black line tail lamps - the car really does look good from every angle now. Pictures hardly do it justice, but here you go:

I'd say the car is more or less done cosmetically. Maybe some of the carbon fiber bits later on down the line, we'll see. I'm very happy with the current look just as it is, though.

In other good news, got my Simon 3 cable from the good people at Active today, so I'll be reading the ECU and sending the file out this afternoon. Crossing fingers for a quick turnaround.
Dyno?!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 02:15 PM   #92
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Lol, Axiom has dyno fever. But yea, please see if you can do a before and after dyno!!! Moar dyno!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 02:16 PM   #93
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Car looks great BTW! Looks really "finished"....BMW should've done it this way from the start
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 02:21 PM   #94
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:

Car looks incredible dude! The aero kit is so rare on these cars
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 03:32 PM   #95
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Dyno?!
I'm thinking the body kit is worth at least 50 whp.
      09-10-2015, 03:33 PM   #96
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Car looks great BTW! Looks really "finished"....BMW should've done it this way from the start
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris82 View Post
Car looks incredible dude! The aero kit is so rare on these cars
Thanks guys! I'm really digging it! Just want to tune...
      09-10-2015, 06:14 PM   #97
Fume
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS

Wow your car looks good! What camber are you running on your car in the pictures above? I like how it looks aggressive without looking like stancenation.

Edit: I just noticed you also took off the fog lights. How hard was that to do? Maybe I missed one of your earlier posts where you mentioned it?

New Car: 2019 Porsche 718 Cayman GTS | Stock for now
Old Car: 2013 BMW 128i | 6MT | BMW Performance Grills | CDV Delete | SSK | Performance Exhaust | M3 RSFB | TCKR DA

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 07:31 PM   #98
honestzergtea
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

I noticed you had the fixed 128i headlight washers on your old bumper..did you simply delete them on the new bumper or is the retractable one functional as well?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 08:12 PM   #99
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fume View Post
Wow your car looks good!
Thanks!
Quote:
What camber are you running on your car in the pictures above? I like how it looks aggressive without looking like stancenation.
I should be somewhere between -2.5 or -3.0.
Quote:
Edit: I just noticed you also took off the fog lights. How hard was that to do? Maybe I missed one of your earlier posts where you mentioned it?
I just recently went from the standard Pre-LCI 128i bumper to the BMW Performance bumper, which deletes the foglights. I believe the wiring is just tied back. I still need to have the car coded, though, so i stop getting a bulb error on the instrument cluster.
      09-10-2015, 08:15 PM   #100
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by honestzergtea View Post
I noticed you had the fixed 128i headlight washers on your old bumper..did you simply delete them on the new bumper or is the retractable one functional as well?
The Performance bumper includes the parts necessary to convert the fixed washers to retractable ones (assuming you order the bumper for headlamp-washer-equipped cars, that is - there is also a version with no cutouts for cars without the headlamp cleaning system).
      09-11-2015, 02:48 AM   #101
RedRanger
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i Sedona Red

Dropping some cash there Bob! Car looks really clean.

I am trying to catch up to you and Stig as fast as possible, but it looks like you had xmas in July.

Stage 3 up next, along with the perf brakes and AA tune.

The magnaflow exhaust does have a nice growl to it. When reading about it on the forum people were saying the BMWPE was deeper and more aggressive. Besides the pops, what really the difference?

Ive only had the stock and magnaflow.

That performance bumper tho
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 06:35 AM   #102
Swimjim
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

what is the part # for the magna flow muffler?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 07:27 AM   #103
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimjim View Post
what is the part # for the magna flow muffler?
#16525. If you decide to buy, I'd recommend Hottxhaust.com. They're an official MagnaFlow dealer and will ship free to US & CAN. Make sure to ask for a coupon code and they'll give you a smoking hot deal (I got ~$200 off).
      09-11-2015, 07:57 AM   #104
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester105 View Post
Dropping some cash there Bob! Car looks really clean.

I am trying to catch up to you and Stig as fast as possible, but it looks like you had xmas in July.
Thanks! I didn't spend any money on my car for almost a year before this, so I had time to save up a little bit.

Quote:
Stage 3 up next, along with the perf brakes and AA tune.
Both good mods, although the brakes are pretty expensive. I still remember when Turner was selling the kit for $995! Wish I'd jumped on it then. A lot of people will tell you that they're not up to extended tracking sessions, and that may be true, but I find them to be excellent for street driving as well as autocross. I do have a track day coming up next month, so we'll see how they do. I'm on stock pads, and it seems like all of the 6-piston caliper failures I've seen have been in conjunction with aftermarket pads of a slightly different shape than OEM.

The Stage 3 intake manifold is really good with a tune. See if you can pick one up used, though. I found an excellent example for under $300. Just be patient! There are a ton of BMW's that came from the factory with that manifold, and more and more of them are being wrecked every year. [/QUOTE]

Quote:
That magnaflow exhaust does have a nice growl to it. When reading about it on the forum people were saying the BMWPE was deeper and more aggressive. Besides the pops, what really the difference?
I can't really make an apples-to-apples comparison, because I went from stock catted headers & Performance exhaust to catless headers & MagnaFlow cat-back. However, I went with the MF because I had heard it was a little quieter than the BMWPE, which I heard was very loud with headers. I can believe that, because the MF with headers is often not much louder (if at all) than just the BMWPE was. The tone is definitely deeper, I would compare it almost to a muscle car, where the BMWPE has a slightly higher, almost exotic (and admittedly more Euro) tone. But honestly, at certain RPM's (under load) they sound almost indistinguishable. Really, to me, the biggest difference is with the BMWPE the instant you take your foot off of the throttle you're getting all these pops and burbles, literally at will. It's like a switch. I'm actually surprised BMW tuned their exhaust to sound so aggressive. The overrun on the MF is more subdued in comparison.

Quote:
That performance bumper tho
I know. I had only ever seen it in pictures before (almost always in white) and was sort of on the fence about it - sometimes I liked, sometimes I thought it looked a little goofy. But seeing it in the flesh, in Crimson, and on my car - I'm sold on it.
      09-11-2015, 10:56 AM   #105
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Both good mods, although the brakes are pretty expensive. I still remember when Turner was selling the kit for $995! Wish I'd jumped on it then. A lot of people will tell you that they're not up to extended tracking sessions, and that may be true, but I find them to be excellent for street driving as well as autocross. I do have a track day coming up next month, so we'll see how they do. I'm on stock pads, and it seems like all of the 6-piston caliper failures I've seen have been in conjunction with aftermarket pads of a slightly different shape than OEM.

...snip...

I know. I had only ever seen it in pictures before (almost always in white) and was sort of on the fence about it - sometimes I liked, sometimes I thought it looked a little goofy. But seeing it in the flesh, in Crimson, and on my car - I'm sold on it.
From all I've read, I agree with you with a few additional thoughts. Very aggressive track pads really crank up the heat on the stock brakes....and repeated heavy usage of these on a track is what kills off the factory seals and cracks the ceramic inserts. Given our cars are lighter (and slower), and if you use a street or street sport type pad (like HPS or Stoptech Street), I think the brakes will hold up just fine. You now have that wicked aero front bumper, which also means you're getting good airflow to the brakes. not sure if you have ducting or the F30 backing plates, but put all that together and you'll have a pretty decent setup for the occasional track day....

On the bumper, agreed - it looks way better in red than the white....

Last edited by asbrr; 09-11-2015 at 11:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 11:15 AM   #106
kobeballer96
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6SPD E82

Quote:
Almost forgot - finally got to get out to an autocross again a couple of weekends ago! It was a two day event, which is good because I was feeling rusty as hell. I hadn't even driven my car for 7 months while deployed, and before that I was so busy with the move from CA and then pre-deployment training that I only got to do 2 events all year. So really, it's been since 2013 since I was autocrossing regularly, and that was my novice season. Unfortunately, it can be tough to be consistent about getting seat team when your life is full of irregularity.

Anyway, the first day I sucked. I DNF'ed most of my runs, but finally turned in decent (or at least not very embarrassing) times at the very end. The second day I felt WAY better - no DNF's, and times were pretty consistent and respectable all day. The only problem was my second run was the best, and then I felt like I was chasing it all day, and could never top it. It seems like I should've been able to improve a little on my afternoon runs, but no such luck. I finished middle of the pack in class (but would've finished second in Novice, which is where I sort of felt like I belonged sometimes, lol).

Oh well. It felt good to get back out there, at least. And there are still 4 more events this season that I should be able to make, so hopefully I can knock some of the cobwebs off.

Anyway, someone snapped a pic of one of my runs and put it on FB, so I snagged it for this thread:

Are you in NC????? Was this cherry point?? Haha I go to these events man. You went to the one I didn't go since I didn't have tires at the time lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 11:33 AM   #107
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
You now have that wicked aero front bumper, which also means you're getting good airflow to the brakes. not sure if you have ducting or the F30 backing plates, but put all that together and you'll have a pretty decent setup for the occasional track day....
Trying to sort out brake ducting now - see this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobeballer96 View Post
Are you in NC????? Was this cherry point?? Haha I go to these events man. You went to the one I didn't go since I didn't have tires at the time lol.
Yeah, this was at Cherry Point. You go to the ones in Wilmington, too?

Last edited by Bimmer-Bob; 09-11-2015 at 07:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 10:56 PM   #108
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
So nice - Aero & Euro LCI. My dream.
How much lower is the front bumper vs 128i ? Are you more careful now

For the ducting, just use the 135i brake ducts for Aero bumper and cut holes where the duct joins the wheel liner. Its the most elegant clean solution outside of making e39 style pot light shrouds/sink drain mod on the 128i Aero brake duct blanks.

The large bottom Left 128i Aero side duct can also be used to run a hose from he top to the Airbox = like Dinan e90 intake n52
The large bottom Right 128i Aero duct can be replaced with the 135i part for the n54/5 oil filter housing & cooler mod

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is

Last edited by andrey_gta; 09-11-2015 at 11:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 08:48 PM   #109
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
So nice - Aero & Euro LCI. My dream.
How much lower is the front bumper vs 128i ? Are you more careful now
Yes, it is noticeably lower up front, and I am being more careful. I'm generally very careful with the front bumper anyhow, after scraping the old one once on a curb stop while parking. The new one doesn't seem low enough to scrape on normal speed bumps of moderate inclines, though, so as long as I don't pull up too far when parking I think I should be good. Just having this bumper makes it really tempting to go with the carbon fiber splitters (just because you can), but maybe that's flirting with disaster, I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta View Post
For the ducting, just use the 135i brake ducts for Aero bumper and cut holes where the duct joins the wheel liner. Its the most elegant clean solution outside of making e39 style pot light shrouds/sink drain mod on the 128i Aero brake duct blanks.
That's what I'm looking at doing right now. I don't want to mess with some custom-fabbed yet unsightly ductwork on my daily driver. I think if I use the air inlets designed for the Performance bumper plus retrofit the brake ducting from the 135i, I should be okay. I will have to either cut my wheel well liners or retrofit the 135i ones as well. I think this setup will provide adequate airflow to the wheel wells, and then F30 backing plates will direct some of that airflow to the brakes. At least, that's the idea.

In other news, I got the LED eyebrows working today:

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1803
Size:  356.7 KB

See here for the how and why, if interested.

Last night I also flashed the ECU with the new tune from Active. This morning I took the car out and it felt pretty darn good. I wasn't sure if the off-road tune did much more than clear the SES light, but I know it at least contains new throttle mapping, per the tech that did my tune file. It may modify the fueling as well (just a guess) but either way, it felt pretty snappy and responsive, even if it's just a throttle remap, and the headers definitely make power.

So if the car is more or less done cosmetically, I think I'm getting closer as far as performance mods go. I've got a few suspension tweaks to make, but the only other really big thing is an LSD. I want to live with the headers for a while before I decide, but I'm strongly leaning towards doing a more aggressive final drive at the same time. The torque multiplication just seems too good to pass up, especially at the lower end, which is sort of this car's Achilles' Heel, IMO.

Of course, I will probably never be done modding this car, but the only performance stuff after an LSD is sort of the crazy stuff: stroker kits (I'd love to stroke this thing to a 3.2L...too bad the Noelle Motors kit doesn't seem to be around anymore, although IIRC it was stupid expensive) and superchargers (the ESS kit is somewhat tempting, but besides being spendy is sort of anathema to the spirit of this car, I think...but then again...).
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2015, 10:40 PM   #110
Marc08EX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Wow! Those LCI headlights look so nice with the eyebrows lit up. Great job!

Of course, the performance aero kit looks badass too!

Great build! Love the color of your car as well.
2011 135i 6MT | Alpine White | Terracotta Boston Leather | M-Sport | BMW Performance Exhaust Resonator Delete | Active Autowerke Signature Exhaust | BMW Performance Suspension | Blackline LCI Taillights | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | CF Rear Diffuser | PPK | E92 M3 FSB | Matte Black Kidney Grilles | VMR V710 Jet Anthracite | Michelin PSS | BMW SS Pedals
Appreciate 1