BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-10-2016, 11:04 AM   #1
flensborg
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i DCT N55

Tail light LED repair

Sorry, but i can't find out how to insert pictures in the post, so they are attached. It is my first post on the forum.

Picture 1:
Make a cut in the back of the light.
Picture 2:
Open up, but bee a bit careful.
Picture 3:
Carefully take up the circuit board. Pull of the connector and cut the wires at the connector.
Picture 4:
Clean the connectionarea and sold on the wires as on the picture.
Picture 5:
Replace circuit board and add a little glue on the two pinns.
Picture 6:
Add silicone to glue the back of the light together.
Picture 7:
Let it dry before mounting in the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 01:21 PM   #2
Eazy-e
Dope-like a pound or a key
Rep
Drives: 09 e82 135i

My tail light stopped working and the shop quoted me 195 for the replacement. I'm going to give this a try soon. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 12:17 AM   #3
nyak
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: wrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy-e View Post
My tail light stopped working and the shop quoted me 195 for the replacement. I'm going to give this a try soon. Thanks.

Which side tail went out. I had one of mine go out. I just put on some blacklines instead. So I have an extra laying around
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 10:49 AM   #4
Eazy-e
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyak View Post
Which side tail went out. I had one of mine go out. I just put on some blacklines instead. So I have an extra laying around
My right side is out.

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2016, 01:18 PM   #5
Eazy-e
Rep

I tried this DIY and was it pretty hard for me

It seemed like all my tools were over sized including the soldering iron.
That plastic is thick as hell too. Long story short I basically fried the mother board so I ordered and installed LCI black lines the next week.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 05:15 PM   #6
Blueherb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i AW 09'

Just an FYI to anyone with LCI (Black Lines) tail lights, the circuit board is MUCH bigger than the old style lights. I was hoping for something similar to above. To my surprise the new board sort of wraps along side the housing. Not only that, there are two torx screws holding everything in place so it is near impossible to get a clean cut without the risk of sawing thru or cracking the board upon removal.

I was victim to a failing LED strip (went dim) and was hoping to give it a shot at re-soldering myself. I never even made it to that step unfortunately and ended up ordering a brand new light instead.

Damn you BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 05:21 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueherb View Post
Just an FYI to anyone with LCI (Black Lines) tail lights, the circuit board is MUCH bigger than the old style lights. I was hoping for something similar to above. To my surprise the new board sort of wraps along side the housing. Not only that, there are two torx screws holding everything in place so it is near impossible to get a clean cut without the risk of sawing thru or cracking the board upon removal.

I was victim to a failing LED strip (went dim) and was hoping to give it a shot at re-soldering myself. I never even made it to that step unfortunately and ended up ordering a brand new light instead.

Damn you BMW.

Name:  LED tail light out service campaign.jpg
Views: 3531
Size:  101.7 KB

ALL 1er LED tail lights built before November 2011 will fail. You have to look at the DIN build date stamped into the tail lights. You can see this when you open the trunk and look at the black strip area.

ALL Blacklines were built after this date of Nov 2011.

Dackel
Appreciate 1
Esteban42187.00
      10-29-2018, 10:24 PM   #8
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

ALL 1er LED tail lights built before November 2011 will fail. You have to look at the DIN build date stamped into the tail lights. You can see this when you open the trunk and look at the black strip area.

ALL Blacklines were built after this date of Nov 2011.

Dackel
Nice to know about the blacklines, Dack.
      01-04-2023, 06:35 PM   #9
BaronTR
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 123d

EDIT:
For LCI 2 strip LED tail lights (High version);
there is a small circuit board inside the tail light. In case of any water leak, it could easily be damaged. So it is better to check that board first before attempting to access the LEDs. You can simply try by inserting the other side's board.

I realized that there was a discolored part on the small circuit board and I checked every single resistor on the board with a multimeter. They were all fine, but after checking the copper lines between I found a break! After connecting the ends with a cable, it started to work. There should be some better ways repair this kind of line breaks though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueherb View Post

Damn you BMW.
I am actually planning to cut the plastic on the top of my dimmed LCI lights to access to the board. Do you have any suggestion/photo that could help?

It might be a disappointment but the light is useless without the LED strips anyways.

Last edited by BaronTR; 01-06-2023 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 10:34 AM   #10
brandon harris
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by flensborg View Post
Sorry, but i can't find out how to insert pictures in the post, so they are attached. It is my first post on the forum.
Picture 1:
Make a cut in the back of the light.
Picture 2:
Open up, but bee a bit careful.
Picture 3:
Carefully take up the circuit board. Pull of the connector and cut the wires at the connector.
Picture 4:
Clean the connectionarea and sold on the wires as on the picture.
Picture 5:
Replace circuit board and add a little glue on the two pinns.
Picture 6:
Add silicone to glue the back of the light together.
Picture 7:
Let it dry before mounting in the car.
That was helpful ! thanks for sharing

Last edited by brandon harris; 01-14-2023 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0