BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-23-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
msos
always been a BMW fan.........
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Porsche 997

Smile 2011 135i w/DCT..1st DE Track outing!

Yesterday spent the day at track in a NASA Drivers Ed program checking out this cars capabilities in stock Msport set up with the only mod (Toyo R888's on Breyton GTS rims).

In the run group (solo drivers......but not racing) there were all kinds of metal out there but most notably a 2009 997 Porsche Carrera (no engine mods) and Roush Mustang on track tires were cars that I had no problem keeping up with on continuous laps so I am quite confident that as my comfort level increases the car in stock engine and suspension format is something most will be happy with.

Although the Toyo's gripped really well I was having a tough time getting the temp's right in the front tires and after the day they showed lots more wear than the rears on the edge of the tread, but overall I was VERY impressed with their performance. I started the day with about 37 cold.....but after 20 minute sessions ended up as high as 45 and even after taking air out throughout the day always seemed to end my sessions with front tire temps about 42.

Engine pulled very well all the way to about 6,000 rpms and then although its very willing to go to redline the benefits of holding any given gear from 6,500-7,000 was questionable so at various times I was playing around with upshifting anywhere from 6,000 all the way to redline (depending on how many cars were ahead of me or if there was open track).............One downside I found was that unlike some other cars I own/or have tracked the engine is relatively quiet at "redline" so the natural engine speed sound most of us look for to instinctively know when to upshift is something that will take more getting used to (maybe a function of my first time really pushing this motor).

DCT performance (with sport button on, and DCT activated)...I enjoyed the fact that car will "downshift" for you in M/S "mode" if you floor the throttle and your gear is too high for max. performance. For example a few times I came out of some (slower) twisty part of the course and did not realize I was in 3rd and floored it........and saw car downshift for me to 2nd......(NICE)! I was also amazed again that on some slower parts of the track I was actually able to (by mistake) downshift to 1st! It appears that as long as you dont push the engine beyond "redline" the DCT will shift to whatever gear you want. To confirm an earlier report the DCT will "upshift" for you at "redline" which I noticed it to for me a couple of time (again a function of the quiet engine vs. other cars I have tracked). Another observation for all of us who are on the fence about DCT vs. 6 speed manual is that when you shift in a manual gearbox you "always" know what gear you are in, whereas with DCT as you are not physically moving a lever into a set position for each individual gear I found it a little weird not always being aware of the specific gear I was in. I am sure this may be a function of the fact that I was driving to get comfortable with the car (rather than win a prize for fastest lap). What I mean is as this is the first "7-speed" tranny I have driven, on this track, previously I always knew what gear I should be in to take certain corners/turns and for the end of a straightaway but the gearing for the DCT is not directly comparable to either 6-speed gearing I have on my other 2 prior track cars (Ferrari 360F1 and Audi RS4 and before that previous generation M3).

On a final note.........oil temps were always extremely well controlled (never got over the 260 degree level (admittedly only 25 minute sessions with 1+ hour cool down in between) & brakes on this car were excellent (zero fade) after repeated braking from 110-120 mph several times per lap.

Considering my last 3 track cars have all been quite a bit more costly and higher performers.....I expect to hold on to this gem for many years to come and after my first 6 weeks, rate it a 9.5 out of 10!

PS enjoy the pics (good company in the garage space at the track, friends Exige S240 and 997 Carrera S, and for those obsessed with MPG postings........I registered an official 12.9mpg average after 2000 miles including my track day.......was 19.7 prior to track day)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Oh man great review. I am on the fence for DCT or Manual, but I have time till M1/1M

I can see how you might forget which gear you are at, it becomes habit when you are shifting and matching what gear you are at on certain part of the track. How was the rev matching ? I know the car doesn't do it, but dual clutch does it, were the down-shifts smooth enough? Did you find it hard to stop your right foot doing heel and toe? anssswerrss plz
      05-23-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

msos, Thanks for the details. Perhaps you can answer some questions?

Can you elaborate on why your not in the 360F1 or M3?
Have you considered a used 911?
How does 135 compare to e46 M3?
What tire/wheel sizes?
Did you reset your avg mpg at start of track day. When do you reset?

Special thanks to you for helping me make a decision to keep my original order and not switch to a 6MT. Had the option to change my order at any time and glad I didn't.

The final test will be long term reliability of the DCT, especially on the track. All of my Bimmers have gone over 200k with low cost repairs I can do my self.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
bluemoon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Good write up! Nice to see the oil temp holding at 260º. What was the approx ambient temp that day?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
msos
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb to answer the questions:

Can you elaborate on why your not in the 360F1 or M3?

My [B]360F1[/B] is simply something I "worship" and only take it out on the track once per year max.......as its so awesome but trying to not beat it up too badly (which we all know track use does). Its also bone stock.....no track rubber and last but not least, so friggin expensive to fix if something bad does happen as I have seen with F cars on track when you get too over confident (as the car is simply awesome in stock format).

Sold my 2002 M3 after 5 solid years on daily driving/track use (almost 60K total mileage) and got Audi RS4 which I drove as daily driver/track toy for past 3 years. M3 was simply a brilliant all rounder. On stock rubber its handling was no better than the 135i with track rubber and the accelration and braking no better either (although I am still talking from only my days on use and I have not driven the M3 for 3+ years, so some of that memory may have faded). Overall a much tighter package in the 135i, whereas the M3 always felt kinda large on track.......(I prefer small cars)

Have you considered a used 911? Yes at first my #1 thought was to get a used 911. I have 2 close friends with 997's, but after driving them for extended periods around town and my memories of my own personal 911SC (1980) not that distanced from the cockpit layout of the 997 combined with the cost factors (p cars are quite costly to use as a daily driver) I starting thinking no. Then also to use a 911 and drive 18K miles per year (this is my daily driver too) was simply going to kill whatever kind of value may be left in even a decent used car. That killed the 911 idea.......

What tire/wheel sizes? Stock rim sizes I got on the Breyton's so I would not have to change any suspension from street to track. Toyo fronts are however 225's (vs. 215 stock rubber) and thankfully no rubbing

Did you reset your avg mpg at start of track day. No I reset the MPG about a week ago at 1650 miles, now I have almost 2050 miles. Dropped like a rock from almost 20mpg to 12.9 at the end of the day yesterday.....

As far as DCT maintenance is concerned I like you am concerned so I purchased the 6yr 100K BMW maintanence warranty which unless I missed something covers clutch wear and tear..........(please let me know if I am wrong on this)......

Bluemoon........ambient temp was about 88 degrees so I was impressed that the oil did not heat up as when I spoke a few months back to local Dinan dealer he told me a MUST have was oil cooler for track use, but I think somebody mentioned on 1addicts that an added oil cooler was added for MSport pack buyers.......(once again please confirm if any one disagrees). Thanks,

Last edited by msos; 05-23-2010 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: forgot to answer a question.....
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
Evice
Major
Rep

forgot my questions

j/k
      05-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
msos
United_States
Rep

sorry evice

To be honest I had no idea the car had rev matching capabilities but from everything else I know what you say makes sense as never did the car change gear and not be hitting a good spot in the rpm's, especially on downshifting. I never found that when I downshifted the DCT ever stopped me from engaging the next gear down and in fact as I said earlier when stomping on it the tranny downshifted sometimes an extra gear. Rev matching appears to be an added benefit of the brain in the DCT!

On the heel toe front.........never learned it believe it or not so not an issue moving from clutch to clutchless (which I guess also made me more comfortable taking my 360 on track as that is F1 tranny too).

Last edited by msos; 05-23-2010 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: adding to my response
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2010, 04:12 PM   #8
Evice
Major
Rep

thanks man. Seems like I really have to test drive a DCT car without the CA in the car )
      05-23-2010, 10:18 PM   #9
msos
United_States
Rep

DCT vs 6 speed?

Must admit I love the DCT, but still think the 6 speed is a great choice. There is no right answer, its that simple but for those wanting to enjoy the newest and most technologically advanced tranny that is out there you will get some serious kicks from the flexibility of this system. I agree with the concern over long term maintanence costs being a concern but if that is a big concern the best you can do is to either "lease" and give it back before the warranty runs out, or do as I did and go for the added 6yr 100K maintenance warranty for extra piece of mind.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 09:10 PM   #10
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Hello everyone. I took my new 135 i to the track(Thunderbolt in new jersey) a few days ago and i am impressed as well. The car is:2011 135i coupe. Dct, m sport package. A few other things but no premium pkg. Mods:m3 control arms front and rear, front antiroll bar from e92 m3, ht-10 brake pads, srf racing brake fluid and apex weels with michelin ps2 245 front, 265 rear. Front strut pins removed, front fenders rolled.Thats it for now. I was running in the intermidiate run group. There were different cars in this group:a few corvettes z06, e90 m3, two porsche gt3s and some less powerful cars.The only car that passed me was one of gt3 s that was fully race prepped with a roll cage. I wont repeat what msos said about dct and the engine because i agree with most of it. I can compare this car to e46 m3 which i tracked a few times and i must say that 135 i pulls stronger coming out of corners but not as stable during hard braking probably due to soft suspension and bushings. Coilovers and rear subframe bushings will be my next mod and the car should be even better.Probably next year. I will keep you posted when i test the car with new mods.

Last edited by Groundpilot; 06-29-2010 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #11
tgxmike
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT, '21 Charger Scat

Garage List
2021 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by msos View Post
Must admit I love the DCT, but still think the 6 speed is a great choice. There is no right answer, its that simple but for those wanting to enjoy the newest and most technologically advanced tranny that is out there you will get some serious kicks from the flexibility of this system. I agree with the concern over long term maintanence costs being a concern but if that is a big concern the best you can do is to either "lease" and give it back before the warranty runs out, or do as I did and go for the added 6yr 100K maintenance warranty for extra piece of mind.
^+1 I'm still going with the 6MT next time, DCT is great, but I'm minimalist, so I tend to buy no options and then fit my own performance parts later. (You have to have a Sport/M Sport package with the DCT. Adds a min of ~$2.6k for the DCT over base price)
Appreciate 0