05-13-2014, 04:40 PM   #23
css008
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
I'd have to disagree on this. A custom tune is always going to be more 'tuned' to an individual vehicle than an off the shelf tune such as Dinan, Cobb OTS, Evolve etc.

The logs with my Cobb OTS maps was definitely not perfect, but hand it over to a tuner like PTF custom and they iron out all the bumps.

Dinan is just very good at selling the idea of a 'Safe' tune. It is their marketing niche and they achieve it very well. Selling a product at a high price that is on par with many cheaper alternatives. I suppose you are paying for the Dinan warranty, although I don't know of any JB4 or Cobb cars 'exploding' because they were unsafe

I think that you could equate 'SAFE' as being backed by Dinan warranty. That's what you paying for, not a better, worse or safer tune.
I'm considering a tune and I agree the Cobb w/ a PTF custom would be a more tailored tune, but the warranty is a big selling point to me. It's the main thing that attracts me to Dinan. My BMW dealer is Dinan authorized so the fact that they would never have hassle me w/ warranty issues is a huge plus.

I have never heard of any cars exploding bc of tunes either lol, but if a more conservative tune helps preserve the longevity of the vehicle than maybe that's the way to go; since most of us plan to keep our 1M's for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 05:11 PM   #24
Berra
Private
Rep
Drives: at warp speed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narek View Post
In terms of safe, I personally think no tunes are as safe as the factory settings, however if you want a tune im guessing thats an "extra factor" you're considering rather than a priority.

Sure, if you have the option to go for a Dinan tune and have accessibility for them to do repairs under warranty, thats a good choice.

I would assume that despite being able to remove JB4, and reset cobb to stage 0 before service, if the dealership goes through the logs Im sure they will be able to find a higher than stock boost at some point or another.
This is because most engines are optimized to about 75-85%, leaving the last 15-25% to be able to handle bad gas, etc etc!

A tune will take the engine up a notch, to itīs "real" performance. Beeing optimized at 100% requires nice and healthy gas but all pumps donīt have it, and that can hurt the car in the long run. People should also remember that not every tuner is good enough, some are better then others. Pick wisely!

Having that said, Iīve never seen a car blow up because of a tune.
Appreciate 0