BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

View Poll Results: Which Wheel?
Rota Torque 4 14.81%
Rota P45R 5 18.52%
Rota G-Force 18 66.67%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

05-24-2009, 04:51 PM   #45
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmxomar View Post
you sir are retarded... heres 11's with way less than a 62 offset

my "shitty performing" 10.5 wheels will be a whole lot better than your STOCK setup
I have a set of wheels being made right now... Sorry custom wheels require time to be made to my specifications

Look at that wheel you posted... Even with that shitty angle you posted it is easy to see they stick out like a 4x4 truck with retarded wheels... Try fitting a tire on that wheel, or even post a side view of it... It will look retarded and stick out of the fender well with that offset or hit the strut/ inner part of the wheel well with high offset. Have you even taken the time to think of why Evolution racewerks runs a 10" wheel when they could have any setup because they went custom? They would have ran a wider wheel if it helped performance, you can believe that...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 05:14 PM   #46
r_seng
End Game
United_States
Rep
Drives: Devil's Chariot

I'll just leave this here

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 05:23 PM   #47
fmxomar
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer_tx View Post
I have a set of wheels being made right now... Sorry custom wheels require time to be made to my specifications

Look at that wheel you posted... Even with that shitty angle you posted it is easy to see they stick out like a 4x4 truck with retarded wheels... Try fitting a tire on that wheel, or even post a side view of it... It will look retarded and stick out of the fender well with that offset or hit the strut/ inner part of the wheel well with high offset. Have you even taken the time to think of why Evolution racewerks runs a 10" wheel when they could have any setup because they went custom? They would have ran a wider wheel if it helped performance, you can believe that...
man you must not have a brain in that head of yours. do you not know how to comprehend anything ? the wheels are 11's with the wrong offset i didnt say the offset was right jackass, they are custom cut and widened csl's for a e46 m3, it was used for measurement purposes. and why dont you prove to me that a 10.5 inch rim ruins performance. evolution isnt running a bigger wheel because what they have is sufficient for the power they are making right now with fat 285s on it and stock unmodified fenders. i already have gone though this i want a flush setup, i know what fits, and a 10.5 will fit so go lick the skin between your you know what and
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #48
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmxomar View Post
man you must not have a brain in that head of yours. do you not know how to comprehend anything ? the wheels are 11's with the wrong offset i didnt say the offset was right jackass, they are custom cut and widened csl's for a e46 m3, it was used for measurement purposes. and why dont you prove to me that a 10.5 inch rim ruins performance. evolution isnt running a bigger wheel because what they have is sufficient for the power they are making right now with fat 285s on it and stock unmodified fenders. i already have gone though this i want a flush setup, i know what fits, and a 10.5 will fit so go lick the skin between your you know what and
The point was that you will have to bastardize your fenders to get a 10.5" wheel to fit... Almost nobody will do that when you can run the same width on a skinnier wheel that would reduce unsprung weight, thus performing better.

It seems you are oblivious to the importance of wheel weight... Here's an intro by tire rack on the way unsprung weight effects a vehicle...

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/....jsp?techid=98

If the wheel you showed had the right offsets to tuck into the fender it would be hitting the strut side of the wheel well. If you are so confident that a 10.5" wheel would be better for performance on a 135i, then publicly denounce Evolution Racewerks decision on wheel size, and say that you know more than a team that works on the car, races the car competitively, and makes parts for the car. I'm not sure if you actually believe the shit that is coming out of your mouth, but if you do, you should share your infinite knowledge on suspension dynamics and wheel choice with the race team and see their reaction
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #49
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_seng View Post
I'll just leave this here

yep, Rota is known for being shit... I don't know anyone that has had a good experience with these wheels
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2009, 11:50 PM   #50
Zoeb@WheelDude.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (e92), X5 (E70), 428i (F32)

Garage List
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
Quote:
yep, Rota is known for being shit... I don't know anyone that has had a good experience with these wheels
really?

I have thousands of customers with good experiences.

Yes. Thousands.

Try getting the story from the person who actually cracked the wheel, you'll find that it happened due to him running into a curb and going into a ditch at a very high speed.

I'd be amazed if your OEM wheel made it through that
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 12:06 AM   #51
Motorsports_3
E30 Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135, 1988 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Hell yes. BMWeber is correct, and knows what he is talking about.

I'm dropped, running 41 offset 9" wide wheels with 245's up front and needed a 5mm spacer to get it away from the strut. A 43-45 offset will cause you to need an even larger spacer.
I dunno what happened Larry, I guess it is because you had a 9 inch wide wheel. But with an 8.5 in front a et+45 would work fine. Hell, Shervin just put 19x8.5 et+46 on his front with no rubbing issues. My last setup with 19x8.5 et+43 had about half an inch or so clearence with the strut, and I was even with the fender on a 235 falken which is knoewn to run thin. If I was to have a 40 or lower number the wheel would stick out and the tire would rub like crazy
      05-27-2009, 12:07 AM   #52
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoeb@WheelDude.com View Post
really?

I have thousands of customers with good experiences.

Yes. Thousands.

Try getting the story from the person who actually cracked the wheel, you'll find that it happened due to him running into a curb and going into a ditch at a very high speed.

I'd be amazed if your OEM wheel made it through that
My group is more track junkies than ricers...for a slow DD/ ricer POS these wheels would be fine.

I'm not doubting you have had people with good experiences, but most people who buy wheels have no idea what to look for in a wheel. Look at the marketplace, it is filled with poorly constructed, heavy, weak, and atrocious looking wheels. I'm guessing most people would swear by HRE's junk, even though they are not allowed at many tracks because of how weak they are.

I've seen people break them on the track before... You get what you pay for, and rotas are cheap knockoffs of a well constructed wheel...

Anybody serious about performance would not buy these wheels...They would save up and buy the real thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 12:22 AM   #53
Zoeb@WheelDude.com
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
Quote:
I'm not doubting you have had people with good experiences, but most people who buy wheels have no idea what to look for in a wheel. Look at the marketplace, it is filled with poorly constructed, heavy, weak, and atrocious looking wheels. I'm guessing most people would swear by HRE's junk, even though they are not allowed at many tracks because of how weak they are.

I've seen people break them on the track before... You get what you pay for, and rotas are cheap knockoffs of a well constructed wheel...

Anybody serious about performance would not buy these wheels...They would save up and buy the real thing.
Actually I am very happy you mentioned track conditions and people who are serious about performance.

See this car right here?

It has been running Rotas for over 3 years and I can assure you if the driver of the car, Gary Sheehan, who has been racing cars for 17+ years was not comfortable with them, then the owner of the car and shop, Mike Warfield, would not be running them.

Also, that car has been put through and will continue to get put through more abuse than pretty much any of the cars here.

If that car can handle it, all the E82's on this forum can as well.

By the way, guess how many Rotas the GST car has bend / cracked? ZERO!

oh but of course you do have to keep in mind that the driver has never ran into a curb trying to avoid a deer

Zoeb
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 12:42 AM   #54
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoeb@WheelDude.com View Post
Actually I am very happy you mentioned track conditions and people who are serious about performance.

See this car right here?

It has been running Rotas for over 3 years and I can assure you if the driver of the car, Gary Sheehan, who has been racing cars for 17+ years was not comfortable with them, then the owner of the car and shop, Mike Warfield, would not be running them.

Also, that car has been put through and will continue to get put through more abuse than pretty much any of the cars here.

If that car can handle it, all the E82's on this forum can as well.

By the way, guess how many Rotas the GST car has bend / cracked? ZERO!

oh but of course you do have to keep in mind that the driver has never ran into a curb trying to avoid a deer

Zoeb
Glad your having good luck with them. Maybe your style of rota wheel is holding. Just curious...If you are running cheap wheels, why not get a wheel like enkei rpf1 or similar?

Just for reference, rotas breaking is a pretty common....

put power put through the wheels the wheels:

before:

After:

Some more:

I don't feel like posting more, but their is definitely a trend with Rota's wheels...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 01:20 AM   #55
e82vette
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

you get what you pay for.....
you can't blame cheap pocketers.....
btw, I dont mind putting rota wheels on my bmw.... proceed the GB
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 02:23 AM   #56
fmxomar
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

those pictures dont mean anything and im sure someone jumped a curb or something ridiculous to do that damage. rotas are fine wheels. i have seen many many WORK wheels BBS you name it break and bend in the same way... just sayin
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 03:11 AM   #57
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

The pictures alone are nothing, what did you do just google broken rota wheels? In the first set of before and after picture, the after picture seems like a very obvious photoshop. These wheels are not powder coated, so any flex like that would cause the paint to chip, yet you dont see any paint chip. hmmm.

By the look of things, anyone who has ran rotas on the track should have stories about broken rotas, man that is a lot of stories. I wonder why these numerous stories have no surfaced on the world wide web. Maybe because the idiots who took those pictures didn't want to publicly denounce their stupidity, and chose instead to bad mouth a company through these photoshops and pictures that prove nothing. And you seem to think that all owners of rota wheels are ricers and such. I dont know what rock you've been under, maybe your just living with a buncha hick wannabe ricers in texas, but up here in cali, rota wheels are very poplar among a very diverse group of owners.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 08:48 AM   #58
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

I've been running the same set of rotas on my DD for 6+ years without issue. It doesn't put down the same level of power as my 135, but I've not had any issues thus far. I even curbed one once, and it's still holding up.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 09:47 AM   #59
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Plus the wheels Rota is copying (Volk TE, Advan RS) don't come in sizes to fit our Ones. So you can't buy the real thing if you want to anyways. Also most track junkies will have a track setup and daily driving setup.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 11:09 AM   #60
DTR
1 day...
United_States
Rep
Drives: The "OTHER" German

for what its worth. rotas are big in the Subie community... rims are rims... theres no such thing as super indestructable rim... if you like the shows rock em... if youve got the $$$ to buy 10 pairs of the nicer more expensive shoes, then kudos to you. but ill tell u this much, ur balls are gonna hurt waaaaayyyyy less when u curb/crack a rota than when u do it to an ADVAN or HRE....

the ADVAN RS REPS get my vote
      05-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #61
Zoeb@WheelDude.com
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
Quote:
Glad your having good luck with them. Maybe your style of rota wheel is holding. Just curious...If you are running cheap wheels, why not get a wheel like enkei rpf1 or similar?

Just for reference, rotas breaking is a pretty common....

put power put through the wheels the wheels:

Some more:

I don't feel like posting more, but their is definitely a trend with Rota's wheels...
lol, why not get an Enkei RPF1?

Think it can't happen to an Enkei RPF1 as well?

think again.

Do you really think that in any of the above pictures you posted the person was just driving and that happened all of a sudden? Yea right, lol.

Do you even know any of those people personally or did you just do a quick google search?

If I want to find pictures of broken wheels, I can also

Check out this OEM subaru wheel, made by Rays:

or this OEM Acura Type R wheel:

or how about this Volk?

ADR? lol

The fact is that on impact cast wheels and even forged wheels sometimes will break.

It's not going to happen on regular day to day driving though...and it won't break on the track either unless you run off course and impact them somehow.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #62
rcracer_tx
Banned
United_States
Rep

Your not getting the point.... Rota has a bad rep for a reason. I know very well that any wheel can be broken/ deformed, as I have broken them before. The point is that Rota are generally weak wheels, and you get what you pay for... Most that just wasn't a cheap knockoff for looks on their car, which these wheels are for...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 12:11 PM   #63
ronnyek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Evo MR Touring

rotas are junk always have been... the only reason I think they were ever super popular was because they wre the discount wheel... they were throwaways
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #64
Zoeb@WheelDude.com
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
Quote:
Your not getting the point.... Rota has a bad rep for a reason. I know very well that any wheel can be broken/ deformed, as I have broken them before. The point is that Rota are generally weak wheels, and you get what you pay for... Most that just wasn't a cheap knockoff for looks on their car, which these wheels are for...
You aren't getting my point.

The wheels are NOT weak.

I have NEVER even bent one, let alone break one, and I've had multiple sets on multiple different cars, including my 335i.

That GST motorsports car hasn't even bent one and it gets put through more abuse than a lot of the cars out there.

They are JWL and VIA certified...how would they pass the vigorous testing standards of those 2 certifications if the wheels were "weak"

You are just posting pictures you have found on the internet by googling for broken rotas...I'm in the business, you think I haven't seen any of these before? I've seen them all and it's always the same group of people who post them. It's people who have an agenda against rota for no apparent reason.

It's fine, it doesn't really bother me, I understand that some people like them and a small group of people dislike them.

The only reason I am posting in here is so people are not misinformed about the product.

Zoeb
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 01:45 PM   #65
e82vette
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

how can you break the wheels....how do you drive????
if rota wheels are to be broken that easy, it wouldn't be approved to come out for market anyways......
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #66
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

yup, i've curbed my rota grids at 20 mph and only the lip bent slightly, it still held air and had no vibrations. and rcracer, why dont you go back to racing rc cars and leave the big toys to us. freaking idiot.
Appreciate 0