E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > n52 low rpm hesitation *solved*

06-30-2018, 08:16 AM   #1
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 325i 6spd

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
n52 low rpm hesitation *solved*

*solved*
read below

Hey guys i have a 2006 325i n52 and it started to develop a low rpm hesitation. The car sat for 2 weeks, before that the car was running fine but i noticed its fuel economy was dropping. I thought maybe because its hot outside and i run the a/c everytime i turn the car on.

Yesterday when i started it up for the first time in 2 weeks, it idles fine but under heavy load it will hesitate between 1200-2500 rpm. Now it feels like it lost power. at part throttle it feels like its choking. at WOT seems to run fine??

Its not throwing miss fire codes. I replaced the spark plugs a few months ago. Also noticed 3 out of the 6 ignition coils where replaced by previous owner. The "new" ones doesnt look OEM. But the car idles fine and at wot no hesitation???

Has this happened to anyone? If so what did you do to fix it? thanks in advance.

:update 7/8/18
solved the issue, its was 3 bad spark plugs. No more jumping idle no more hesitation its just baby smooth now. The power has returned, no more sluggishness.

After finding oil in my intake manifold which was probably the reason what ruined 3 of my spark plugs, i replaced the entire ccv system hopefully that will fix it. If it doesn't, ill keep updating.

I also bought 6 new ignition coils from fcp euro part # DEL-GN10571 My car started mis firing like crazy. Long story short 2 arrived dead and you have to notch the center tab under the connector to seat coil wire. I threw on my old bosch coils car is running perfect. My car does not like the new delphi coils.
Attached Images

Last edited by gT-BMW; 07-08-2018 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 07:59 PM   #2
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

TELL ME MORE!

I've got that same low RPM hesitation, AND quite a bit of oil in my intake.

I've got your exact problem description, except replacing the plugs didn't fix it. I also had to replace a verifiably broken DISA valve, which is why I know there's oil in the intake. But that also didn't fix it.
      08-08-2018, 03:40 AM   #3
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Alex, what is your mileage? And is the engine an N54?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 11:11 AM   #4
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 325i 6spd

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
TELL ME MORE!

I've got that same low RPM hesitation, AND quite a bit of oil in my intake.

I've got your exact problem description, except replacing the plugs didn't fix it. I also had to replace a verifiably broken DISA valve, which is why I know there's oil in the intake. But that also didn't fix it.
do you have pictures of your spark plugs? knowing how to read your plugs can tell you a story about your engine. such as running lean, rich, oil burning, leaky fuel injectors, bad coil, cam timing off etc

do you have excessive black soot at the rear of your bumper?

when you do a cold start does it idle rough then levels out? could be a small vacuum leak. thats usually one of the ccv hoses or the diaphram is stuck open on the pcv. if you have plastic valve cover, that pcv is apart of the valve cover. or could be the valve cover itself is warped.

since replacing my ccv, the oil consumption has reduced but its still burning oil.

i pulled out my intake manifold the past weekend and notice a little bit of oil in the intake manifold. im starting to think that a little bit of oil is normal but excessive oil is not and thats a ccv issue.

ive also started running a mixture of half 87 octane and e85. I do this because e85 cleans the engine, my car seems to like this doesnt hesitate and throttle response seems snappy
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 11:52 AM   #5
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gT-BMW View Post
do you have pictures of your spark plugs? knowing how to read your plugs can tell you a story about your engine. such as running lean, rich, oil burning, leaky fuel injectors, bad coil, cam timing off etc
I don't, but they're still sitting in my garage - I'll try to post them tomorrow.

Quote:
do you have excessive black soot at the rear of your bumper?
Nope. Nothing untoward about the exhaust other than the secondary air system code, suggesting it's off-nominal.

Quote:
when you do a cold start does it idle rough then levels out? could be a small vacuum leak. thats usually one of the ccv hoses or the diaphram is stuck open on the pcv. if you have plastic valve cover, that pcv is apart of the valve cover. or could be the valve cover itself is warped.
The valve cover WAS leaking, but they replaced the VCG about a year ago and I've seen no indication that it's leaking anymore. No, idle has been A-OK this whole time. Occasionally it sounds a little more rumbly than I think it should, but that's very probably me listening for problems, rather than a problem actually existing. It's ONLY under load that things fall apart.

Quote:
i pulled out my intake manifold the past weekend and notice a little bit of oil in the intake manifold. im starting to think that a little bit of oil is normal but excessive oil is not and thats a ccv issue.
That's where I'm at - it seems to me that the oil in my intake IS excessive, but I don't really know.
      09-13-2018, 03:59 PM   #6
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Update: The transmission fluid was replaced (drain and fill 3x with driving in between, since a proper flush is all but impossible), as was the differential oil. The problem is absolutely GONE now. Can't be totally sure which did the trick, but the symptoms fit torque converter shudder pretty well, so that's where my money is.

Well, my money is also in the diff, since I paid for all of it. But DGAF it's fixed now
      09-14-2018, 10:02 PM   #7
KD33
Rep
Drives: F30

Lol this exactly did happen to me
Appreciate 0