BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-28-2007, 01:07 PM   #23
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by woj View Post
Good write up. This explains why EVO and CAR have never had any glowing comments about the car.
If you look at an article that was at the Car Lounge last year reviewing their driving experiences when comparing the new GTI, A3 and 130i, the comments appear to be consistent.
We all hope that BMW has more in mind that a body makeover, or else the new vehicle will be a dud for them.
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...i_m_sport.html

Quote:
The 96 911 is quite reliable, but parts are pricey (not too different from BMW). It's a very nice car though. I'm actually considering selling it with the possible replacement being the 135i (deposit in). Can't decide what to do:iono:
I guess we will all have to wait a bit longer. :mad:
      07-28-2007, 01:13 PM   #24
bats
Chilly Willy.
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
Actually, 40,000km is 24k miles (he did the conversion wrong) and I'm sure he followed the strict timetable in the manual or whenever the onboard computer (which determines service intervals based on how the car is used, not just how many miles it travels) told him when to service the car.

He was not negligent, I assure you (and as far as can be from "pitiful", "ignorant", "a retard", or "a true idiot").

Perhaps you need to examine why you're so defensive about this issue?
Eh? 24k is way beyond normal for me. I'm surprised only one other person spotted this.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 01:29 PM   #25
The Stig
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp, 2021 X7

Garage List
Quote:
Actually, 40,000km is 24k miles (he did the conversion wrong) and I'm sure he followed the strict timetable in the manual or whenever the onboard computer (which determines service intervals based on how the car is used, not just how many miles it travels) told him when to service the car.

He was not negligent, I assure you (and as far as can be from "pitiful", "ignorant", "a retard", or "a true idiot").

Perhaps you need to examine why you're so defensive about this issue?
OH YES. Because 24,000 miles is SOOOOO MUCH BETTER THAN 30,000. AND NO HE DIDNT FOLLOW A STRICT TIMETABLE, the manual says to change it WAY more often than that.

Tell me something honestly. how often do you change your oil. And DONT tell me when the computer says so. I want to know the mileage.

And i only said 30k because thats what he said. Once again proving my point that he is a little slow.

And i am defensive about this because this asshole will probably sell this car someday as being "properly maintained" when it was really maintained like shit.
      07-28-2007, 02:13 PM   #26
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH007 View Post
OH YES. Because 24,000 miles is SOOOOO MUCH BETTER THAN 30,000. AND NO HE DIDNT FOLLOW A STRICT TIMETABLE, the manual says to change it WAY more often than that.
Please illumionate us idiots what the manual states then for a 120i in Australia. I'll be anxiously waiting for this information.

As for my cars, none of them has a computer. I change the oil every 3 months on my racecar and annually on my street car (driven 5-6k/yr).

Also, I'd appreciate it if you'd stop calling my friend names. Calling someone an a$$hole whom you've never met is pretty silly (and this is a wonderful guy). If you have no use for his review then ignore it and go away - no need to slander him.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 02:20 PM   #27
The Stig
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Please illumionate us idiots what the manual states then for a 120i in Australia. I'll be anxiously waiting for this information.

As for my cars, none of them has a computer. I change the oil monthly on my racecar and annually on my street car (driven 6k/yr).
Well, I havent seen it, but one would mostly assume THAT ITS NOT 24,000 MILES.

Im sure its 12 or MAYBE 15k.

And the only reason they wait that long is because they offer free maintenance for 50k and they dont want to be doing oil changes on every car ever 5 or 6k.

Why the fuck are you arguing with me about this.

You JUST SAID IT YOURSELF, you change it ever 6k....
ME, I do it every 5k......
Idiots, they do it every 24k.

END OF STORY
      07-28-2007, 02:28 PM   #28
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Im sure its 12 or MAYBE 15k.

Why the fuck are you arguing with me about this.
How can you be SURE when you say it's either 12k or 15k. I think you have no idea. I'm still waiting for the official answer. My guess is that there is no rigid timetable and that you are supposed to obey the computer. I'll happily concede you're right when you PROVE it instead of just being a blow-hard.

My cars are a minimum of 11 years old and are both aircooled. A 4cyl water-cooled MODERN BMW may (and almost certainly does) have different service intervals.

I am arguing with you, because I think your treatment of my friend is unfair and inappropriate. I'd expect you to defend your friends too when someone makes outrageous remarks about them in a public forum.

I posted his review, so that people could take away anything they found there of value. Several posters seemed to appreciate it. If you don't that's fine. No need to piss in the pool that others are enjoying though...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 02:29 PM   #29
The Stig
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
How can you be SURE when you say it's either 12k or 15k. I think you have no idea. I'm still waiting for the official answer. My guess is that there is no rigid timetable and that you are supposed to obey the computer. I'll happily concede you're right when you PROVE it instead of just being a blow-hard.

I am arguing with you, because I think your treatment of my friend is unfair an inappropriate. I'd expect you to defend your friends too when someone makes outrageous remarks about them in a public forum.

I posted his review, so that people could take anything they found there of value. Several poster seemed to appreciate it. If you don't that's fine. No need to piss in the pool that others are enjoying though...
How can i be sure...BECAUSE IM NOT A FUCKING MORON THATS HOW.

BUT OK, i will find out for you and post it up.

Im done arguing with you about simple car maintenance.

If you dont already know how stupid this is, you arent ever going to know.
      07-28-2007, 02:43 PM   #30
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

There's lots of surly in this thread.

24k-30k is pretty high, but no need to get that upset about it since it's not your car.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 03:07 PM   #31
The Stig
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaMind View Post
There's lots of surly in this thread.

24k-30k is pretty high, but no need to get that upset about it since it's not your car.
I dont care what the guy does to his car. Short of him selling it used and screwing someone else.

But im not going to take an automotive opinion about anything from someone who treats a car like that.

Especially a BMW.

Im sorry I am getting heated, if you look at my posts around here I am not like this at all. But this really erks me.
      07-28-2007, 03:27 PM   #32
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But im not going to take an automotive opinion about anything from someone who treats a car like that.
Well, my strong reaction to your post was two-fold:

First, it did bother me that you were throwing so many strong insults at a great and intelligent guy who is a very skilled and perceptive driver. Sure, maybe you or I would change our oil sooner, but I really think that's not the point. [And I still think it's entirely likely that he was accurately following the service interval of the onboard computer. I know the service interval of a modern 4cyl water-cooled BMW in a foreign market certainly can't be closely compared to the intervals of my old air-cooled 911's.]

Second, your total dismissal of his review based on the fact that you thought he waited too long to change his oil (which may or may not be the case) seemed to be a desperate attempt to discount any opinion that threatened to undermine your choice of automobile.

You really did seem entirely too sensitive to any sort of criticism of the 1er. We're all just trying to learn as much as possible about an unknown car here (pro and con). I think it's important not to let our egos get too closely tied to the car we drive.

If my friend changed his oil every 3k miles, do you really think you would've had huge respect for his driving notes and taken them to heart? If so, that reasoning is just as silly as what you're saying now.

Let's just agree to move past this. I expect to share this forum with you for the foreseeable future and there's no reason not to be civil.

Cheers,
Grant
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 04:12 PM   #33
murdoc158
Private
Rep
Drives:

I'm not really that concerned with the steering or throttle blip issue. The Mini has wonderful electric steering and I am able to blip the throttle after a slight learning curve. I'm not really a fan of drive by wire for this reason. On my M3 the throttle blip is so easy. The Mini takes a bit longer so you have to hold the throttle longer, or stab at it quickly giving more input than you would think is necessary.

As for the oil change intervals, oils have come quite a long way technology wise. 15,000 mile intervals are not that uncommon with full synthetic oils. However, the first oil change should be done much sooner. I did the Mini's first oil change at 3,000 miles just to get the metal shavings out of the motor. I know a lot of people recommend first oil change at 1,000 miles. I have 35,000 miles on the Mini at the moment. BMW paid for only 2 oil changes. That averages out to about 16,000 miles between the oil changes. However, since BMW is not covering oil changes past that on the Mini, I will be changing it every 5,000 miles, with transmission fluid and coolant every 30,000 miles.
      07-28-2007, 04:15 PM   #34
The Stig
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Let's just agree to move past this. I expect to share this forum with you for the foreseeable future and there's no reason not to be civil.

Cheers,
Grant
That is fine with me. I will be on this forum for quite a while probably, no use wasting bandwidth or time arguing.

Thanks,

Stig
      07-28-2007, 04:17 PM   #35
The Stig
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdoc158 View Post
I'm not really that concerned with the steering or throttle blip issue. The Mini has wonderful electric steering and I am able to blip the throttle after a slight learning curve. I'm not really a fan of drive by wire for this reason. On my M3 the throttle blip is so easy. The Mini takes a bit longer so you have to hold the throttle longer, or stab at it quickly giving more input than you would think is necessary.

As for the oil change intervals, oils have come quite a long way technology wise. 15,000 mile intervals are not that uncommon with full synthetic oils. However, the first oil change should be done much sooner. I did the Mini's first oil change at 3,000 miles just to get the metal shavings out of the motor. I know a lot of people recommend first oil change at 1,000 miles. I have 35,000 miles on the Mini at the moment. BMW paid for only 2 oil changes. That averages out to about 16,000 miles between the oil changes. However, since BMW is not covering oil changes past that on the Mini, I will be changing it every 5,000 miles, with transmission fluid and coolant every 30,000 miles.
I will totally agree with the fact that OIL has come along way.

But FILTERS have not, and neither have alot of the other components that depend on good clean fresh oil.

Im just saying to ME, anything over 6k is way too long.

But i am off of this topic now.

On a side note, this guy talking about the numb unresponsive steering kinda bothers me. I dont like that at all.
      07-28-2007, 04:34 PM   #36
murdoc158
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I will totally agree with the fact that OIL has come along way.

But FILTERS have not, and neither have alot of the other components that depend on good clean fresh oil.

Im just saying to ME, anything over 6k is way too long.

But i am off of this topic now.

On a side note, this guy talking about the numb unresponsive steering kinda bothers me. I dont like that at all.

Yep I agree that filters have not made the same advancements as oil has. Regardless of what kind of interval you use to change your oil, the filter should be changed around 5,000 - 6,000 miles. When I take my M3 to the track it gets an oil and filter change before and after the race. Some people may call this obsessive, but it's my car and it has to last a few more years at least. :respekt:
      07-28-2007, 06:58 PM   #37
woj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

In looking at reviews of the 130i, I went back and looked at Top Gear's take on the car and offer it for consideration....

But however you spec it, the 130i is never a truly inspired drive, not like that original M3 was. Its edges are too polished and it's too good: too refined, too comfortable. In the old car you were mainlining the experience. In the new one, you are merely partaking in it.

Which got me thinking, last month I was driving a new 325i Touring. It cost about the same as this 130i. It rode better and looked a whole lot better, outside and in. Yet it didn't deprive you of any interaction or communication, even if it wasn't quite so urgent on the acceleration front. Of course it had a whole heap more space - a proper boot, estate versatility and a rear seat worth sitting in.

Anyone of adult size in the back of a 1-Series has to be a contortionist, willing to look deep vein thrombosis in the eye. That's the trouble. It isn't a proper hatchback because it's too cramped. But you can't file it under coupés because it's so ordinary looking. And if you try to forget all that and think of it as a sports car, you'll be disappointed because the driving experience isn't quite set-up that way.

So the 130i never quite lit my candle. Big-engine/small-car hot- rods are usually unbalanced, but occasionally they're brilliant: still bursting with such fireworks that you'll eventually forgive them. With the 130i, BMW has tried so hard to avoid the lash-up end of the spectrum that it has missed out on the magic. If only by a whisker.

Paul Horrell (Top Gear)

Just a concern on my end, I would hpoe that BMW US has sorted out those nasty details to make their advertisement more on the money then the earlier versions of the 1 series have been.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 07:04 PM   #38
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Hi Way - I recognize you from Rennteam board. Thanks for the info.
Yes I knew it was you. You and I are the only ones on Rennteam who wants a 135i. :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 07:29 PM   #39
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

On the issue of the oil change, BMW 120i has an onboard indicator that tells you when to service. If his car is used to ferry his kids around etc, mainly freeway miles and never really revved up beyond 3-4k RPM, I see no major issue with changing the oil at 40,000 km. It's not going to ruin anything in the short or long term.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 07:48 PM   #40
The Stig
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
On the issue of the oil change, BMW 120i has an onboard indicator that tells you when to service. If his car is used to ferry his kids around etc, mainly freeway miles and never really revved up beyond 3-4k RPM, I see no major issue with changing the oil at 40,000 km. It's not going to ruin anything in the short or long term.
Lets please drop the oil argument.

Its not smart, its not a good idea. Im sorry if some of us wont agree on this. This is a main reason why i dont buy used cars, there is to much risk because alot of people dont properly maintain anything.

But anyway. Back on topic.
      07-28-2007, 10:28 PM   #41
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is fine with me. I will be on this forum for quite a while probably, no use wasting bandwidth or time arguing.

Thanks,

Stig
Thanks - glad to see you agree!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 01:56 AM   #42
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Lets please drop the oil argument.
Sounds good to me. Just for the record, I actually agree with you that it isn't a good idea to not change your oil either, but an auto engineer friend of mine was telling me how good synthetic oils are now and the precision in engine manufacturing mean that oil change on a unstressed car is not crucial like it used to be.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 12:09 AM   #43
morgenmuffel
Rep
Drives:

I change my oil every 90,000 miles.

How often should I be changing the cargo net?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 04:11 AM   #44
aesthetect
form follows function
United_States
Rep
Drives: GC impreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant's homeboy View Post
A more powerful engine would be nice, but I'm not sure this car is really set up for performance oriented driving. The brakes are far softer feeling and power assisted than Porsche, so much so that ankle rolling to throttle blip while braking is impossible. Just impossible - give up on the idea. Also, for emissions reasons, the throttle just wont blip while the clutch is down. "Vy vould you vont to do dis?" And, because the throttle is highly detuned when your foot is on the clutch, getting the car going in first is tricky. And this reminds me of another gripe I have - the car does not give complete control to the driver. There's this throttle thing, where the throttle is just dead when the clutch is in. Then, you have to press the button on the remote twice to open the passenger doors or the trunk lid. There's other things that I can't remember just now, but they give me the shits when they happen. !

that really sucks to hear. kind of what i was afraid of, with respect to soft/heaviness. lets hope for better rigidity and balance in the coupe, and a substantial change in the 130/135 suspension tunings from the lower models. still a very very useful and honest review, thank you
Appreciate 0