03-12-2012, 01:44 AM   #45
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
I would love to read a story and watch videos of a Nurburgring battle between these 3: a 1M, a Cayman R manual without the carbon ceramic brakes kit option and a TT RS (plus or not) also manual; all stock, same driver same day, even better if they could be fitted with the same brand and category tires in order to prevent future whining. Three different cars, one battle, winner takes it all, at least a lot of respect. Optional competitor: put a Lotus Evora S also in the battle. That would be a story.
++1.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 03:27 AM   #46
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
Is it faster with better suspension compared to stock?
No, imho it's not. No offence to Andre and he knows I respect his opinion and his skills anyway. I actually tried it on a track day last year and I was 30 seconds off HvS supertest laptime. Granted it was not one of my best days on track and my brakes where dead, but I doubt you can do HvS laptime on a stock setup without driving at a very high risk. I am sure Andre could do it, simply because he has an amazing car control, but that doesn't make the 1M as fast as or faster than the CSL. A (non-stock) CSL followed and filmed me on my fastest lap and you can hear him short shifting where I was really pushing. Actually the stock setup is pretty dangerous in three places on the Nordschleife, if you really push the car.
      03-12-2012, 03:43 AM   #47
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post

I would love to read a story and watch videos of a Nurburgring battle between these 3: a 1M, a Cayman R manual without the carbon ceramic brakes kit option and a TT RS (plus or not) also manual; all stock, same driver same day, even better if they could be fitted with the same brand and category tires in order to prevent future whining. Three different cars, one battle, winner takes it all, at least a lot of respect. Optional competitor: put a Lotus Evora S also in the battle. That would be a story.
would prefer to have BMW historical legends join to compete (like E30 M3 and CSL, even current M3 GTS) more than the current contemporaries. (of which cayman R seems most interesting)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 04:10 AM   #48
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

I have the 1M and the Cayman R (manual without PCB), now what would it cost to take them home to Germany for a Ring Race?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #49
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

I be at the ring 19th march with my 1m track day car with toyo r888 hope i can make some movies and time a some laps.

Peter you are right. But put on some pilot sport cup tires like the csl ones. Those tires have huge grip compared to ps2
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #50
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
I be at the ring 19th march with my 1m track day car with toyo r888 hope i can make some movies and time a some laps.

Peter you are right. But put on some pilot sport cup tires like the csl ones. Those tires have huge grip compared to ps2
Looking fwd to watch that one
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 03:03 AM   #51
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
It's a pity I can't make it Andre, I'd have loved to stop by for a few words. I look forward to the videos though. I'll be there this Saturday (17th), testing the race setup on the 325 for the 2012 season. Damn I look forward to racing again!
      03-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #52
1M SUSI
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 //1M Alpine White

Quote:
I guess we can get the rest of that 90K from 1M SUSI
Sorry boys been out for a couple of days. ozinaldo just saw this this morning. Ha! Do I look like Ms. Moneybags? I can squeeze $100 out of my race fund but $90k hilarious. I'd have to say that the ring is on my bucket list and I'm jealous of anyone who gets to drive it. If I ever go I'm going to hang out with the queen she's awesome. Till than I'll be circling limerock dreaming of the green hell.

Susi
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #53
mm1
Private
Rep
Drives: exE90 M3/ now1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmDrei View Post
It's a pity I can't make it Andre, I'd have loved to stop by for a few words. I look forward to the videos though. I'll be there this Saturday (17th), testing the race setup on the 325 for the 2012 season. Damn I look forward to racing again!
Which series are you going to race and with which team? I`m also considering options about VLN or RCN, not sure which and what program
I`m going to 24h race to speak on site with some teams.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #54
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1 View Post
Which series are you going to race and with which team? I`m also considering options about VLN or RCN, not sure which and what program
I`m going to 24h race to speak on site with some teams.
I have my own car (325 e36 "V4" - Stock class).

The car is prepared by a small team at the ring, Team Hoffmann Motorsport. They also do the race preparation and maintenance for these guys: http://nexd-racing.com/

I did four VLN Seasons (2006-2009 in V2 and V4 incl. the 24h race 2008), paused and will run a full season in the RCN in 2012.

There are a number of teams that offer entry packages for pay drivers for the VLN, usually through and via the RCN. NexD Racing and the guys that prepare my car are two of them. I can personally recommend both as being honest and trustworthy (unfortunately not something that can be taken for granted in racing).

Imho the most important thing is knowing the track, before you attack your first Nordschleife race. The speed in both series is very high and in the VLN the top cars take absolutely no prisoners, when overtaking. You either get out of their way or they make room. In order to be able to handle that oncoming high-speed traffic (you will experience speed differences of almost 100 km/h in some sections of the track, when you are driving in one of the "smaller" stock classes), you need to be able to know the track well enough to know when to look into which mirror. Imho the smaller (VLN Serienwagen) stock classes are the ideal entry level. You learn to drive the track fluidly and that makes you fast. If you can squeeze the maximum out of a 325, then you can drive faster cars fast. If you learn the track in a fast car with aerodynamics, chances are, you will never reach the limit and are most likely to create "destinctly second hand looking" race machinery.

As far as talking to people at the 24-hour-race. I wouldn't recommend it. The race is a zoo! And usually people have their hands and heads full. If you have appointments, yes. Maybe, anyway. If you don't, you'll never get a chance to speak to the people you need to talk to.

If you have questions, just pm me, I'll try to answer if I can. If you need people to contact, same thing.