griz31
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M #553

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
OEM Brake Pads?

Hey All,

Just got some PFC08's installed on the 1M in preparation for my first HPDE! I did however quickly realize I wouldn't be able to tolerate the squeal for normal street driving.

I searched for OEM pads for the 1M, and couldn't find an exact brand and in some cases only the Front Pads were offered (being described as OEM). My question is, what is the OEM pad for the 1M and where are both Front and Rear available? Alternatively, if anyone has suggestions on inexpensive street (LOW NOISE) brakes that aren't necessarily OEM, it would be much appreciated.

BMW CCA Member -- NCC Chapter
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 06:59 PM   #2
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

I believe OEM is Textar.

Other OEM-ish pads would be PFC Z-rated (I found them to be slightly more heat tolerant but reduced cold bite), Stoptech Street Performance (no experience) or Ferodo DS2500 (hybrid pad, a bit squeaky on street), and Akebono ceramic (felt by many to have the least conspicuous dust).

Incidentally I might have a very lightly used set of OEMs sitting in the garage if you are interested, drop me a PM.
Appreciate 2
griz31120.50

02-27-2018, 07:44 PM   #3
mtl88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz31 View Post
Hey All,

Just got some PFC08's installed on the 1M in preparation for my first HPDE! I did however quickly realize I wouldn't be able to tolerate the squeal for normal street driving.

I searched for OEM pads for the 1M, and couldn't find an exact brand and in some cases only the Front Pads were offered (being described as OEM). My question is, what is the OEM pad for the 1M and where are both Front and Rear available? Alternatively, if anyone has suggestions on inexpensive street (LOW NOISE) brakes that aren't necessarily OEM, it would be much appreciated.
I am currently using StopTech Sport brake pads (prefix 309) and are great for street and track use. They do not squeal and stopping power is better than stock pads.
Appreciate 1
griz31120.50

02-28-2018, 04:27 PM   #4
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 2003 330i ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl88 View Post
Quote:
Hey All,

I am currently using StopTech Sport brake pads (prefix 309) and are great for street and track use. They do not squeal and stopping power is better than stock pads.
If you don't want to buy BMW pads I recommend TEXTAR. I love their cold bite but they can also squeal a bit sometimes. I have played with many types on BMWs and TEXTAR is my favorite. Jurid tend to be quieter but have less cold bite usually. I have not used 1M version though but have switched often on e46 and expect close
To the same.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 05:13 PM   #5
1&done
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

Garage List
2005 Ariel Atom 2  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [5.00]
2015 T4R TRD-Pro  [0.00]
2008 135i SOLD  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to 1&done
I run PFC street pads and have no complaints
///1M #643 of #740
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 06:09 PM   #6
griz31
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Hoping ayao will be able to dig up the OEM pads, but appreciate the other options.

Do the less mechanically inclined find this to be an easy DIY?

BMW CCA Member -- NCC Chapter
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2018, 07:26 PM   #7
NorthernDancer
Major
Rep
Drives: 325iX & 128

There are lots of very good DIY's available. I'd start with Bav Auto and Pelican Parts. Also, since you are a CCA member, check in your club. Members are usually more than willing to guide/assist.
I was invited by NCC to join them in a BMW Performance Driving School year and a half ago. Great people.
BMWCCA 408014.
Appreciate 1
griz31120.50

02-28-2018, 08:29 PM   #8
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Hoping ayao will be able to dig up the OEM pads, but appreciate the other options.

Do the less mechanically inclined find this to be an easy DIY?
It does not require any specialized tools and is a reasonably straightforward DIY.

If you're a visual learner:

This one is a little more detailed:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246116
Appreciate 2
griz31120.50

03-05-2018, 09:51 PM   #9
CarJunkie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1-series M, X5 xDrive40e

Garage List
A few observations . . .

It really is that easy. It takes me an hour to switch to track pads from pulling into the bay to backing out of the bay. I also change the front rotors. It takes about 2 hours to go back to street pads because I clean all of the guide surfaces, remove and clean the guide pins, etc...

Pushing the caliper piston back forces fluid into the MC reservoir. His calipers retracted so quickly and easily that he probably had loosened the master cylinder reservoir cap, which makes a world of difference, but he didn't mention it.

Lastly, if you are going to have any part of your body under a car, use a jack stand. That guy was 1 hydraulic failure away from never walking again. Even if walking isn't important to you, getting a car with less than 4 tires off the ground without damage is no small task.
      03-06-2018, 10:10 PM   #10
gmx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

If your MC is at the max level, wrap it up otherwise you'll push some out of the cap relief when you retract the pistons.
Probably one of the easiest cars to switch pads on. Front clips might annoy you until you figure out a way that works for you.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2018, 03:07 PM   #11
griz31
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
So ended up going with the PFC Z rated for the street. They’ve been great so far, and for my current skill level, are probably more than adequate on the track.

As a side note(might create separate thread) how long can brakes sit before they become less effective? The PFC 08 are odviously in great condition but probably won’t need to get them back on until I improve driver skill or get some more mechanical skill and space to do the swaps myself. How long can they sit? Does it make more sense to sell them and pick them up again at a later date?
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2018, 04:41 PM   #12
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

If the pads are kept out of the sun/elements I think they'd have a very, very long lifespan.
I have original brake pads on a 15 year old car daily driver (I drive like a granny) that seem to function just fine. And that is with daily exposure to rain/cold/baking sun/etc.
The only reason to sell them is if you don't think you'll use them again or if you need the space.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 09:56 PM   #13
M3 Adjuster
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
So ended up going with the PFC Z rated for the street. They’ve been great so far, and for my current skill level, are probably more than adequate on the track.

As a side note(might create separate thread) how long can brakes sit before they become less effective? The PFC 08 are odviously in great condition but probably won’t need to get them back on until I improve driver skill or get some more mechanical skill and space to do the swaps myself. How long can they sit? Does it make more sense to sell them and pick them up again at a later date?
PFC Z rated are a great low dust pad that are going to be compatible with the heavier duty PFC track pads. Excellent choice.

Brake pads not on a vehicle will last forever... as long as they are in a dry environment.

OEM BMW pad is Textar... I think I have a few spares lying around also.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 07:20 AM   #14
griz31
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
PFC Z rated are a great low dust pad that are going to be compatible with the heavier duty PFC track pads. Excellent choice.

Brake pads not on a vehicle will last forever... as long as they are in a dry environment.

OEM BMW pad is Textar... I think I have a few spares lying around also.
PFC Z have been great thus far and are plenty for right now. Also nice and quiet for daily use!

Have a feeling the 08 might sit for a bit, atleast until I get enough wrench experience to do the swaps myself.

Side note: new tires going on today
Appreciate 1