BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

A I imagining it?

As mentioned here
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=526791,
I had the HPFP replaced and software updated 4-6 weeks ago. I've now had an half engine light and limp mode event, for which the car is going to the dealer tomorrow.

On the weekend, I went out for a "run", and for no obvious reason, the car doesn't seem to have the "egde" it used to. I have nothing to back this up, just 2 years of living with the car as a daily driver. As best as I can describe it, there doesn't seem to be the same "punch" low down in the rev range. It seems to hesitate when first starting off, and doesn't haul out of a corner the way it used to.

Car is completely stock - not even a "Golf tee" mod.

Anyone able to comment on this - felt the same way after the HPFP replacement / software update.

Or am I just being a picky PITA trying to find things wrong - and it's just my imagination?

Any comments or feedback appreciated.

Cheers,
B.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
130iguy
I'm Riley, I'm awesome
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Comp

i dont own a 135 but i have read a few threads and if there was a software upgrade applied to your car when the HPFP was replaced, then you probably arent imagining it, the "new" software mapping apparently changes the "feel" of the car. or that is what i have read in the US section, have a look around there and see if you can find a similar thread/explaination
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #3
OdomPHD
I break for no one
United_States
Rep
Drives: e9o "Vanity 2"

run by the dealership and ask. Don't call, though, they'll give you the run around.

Ask what they did to your car, and to emit no details. You dished out a tens of thousands for this car, take no BS from the dealership. Specifically ask if they "re-mapped" your vehicle when you had it in last, and if they did... raise all kinds of hell.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Does you car have a AT or MT, mate? Could be a combination of the SW update and your transmission having to relearn your driving style if you have an AT.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #5
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
Does you car have a AT or MT, mate? Could be a combination of the SW update and your transmission having to relearn your driving style if you have an AT.
Nah! I'm "do it yourself".

Does the MT need to relearn?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 12:47 AM   #6
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

When my HPFP got replaced - I found a more linear mapping - less lag, but you feel less oomph on your back side. I prefer the new mapping though. The car is as fast - just in a different way.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 01:11 AM   #7
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfi2906 View Post
Nah! I'm "do it yourself".

Does the MT need to relearn?
No. Sparoz is right, it'll be the different map affecting power delivery.

If you're getting power-hungry, crack your wallet out and enter the great world of tuning
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 01:32 AM   #8
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
No. Sparoz is right, it'll be the different map affecting power delivery.

If you're getting power-hungry, crack your wallet out and enter the great world of tuning
Thanks guys - sounds like I'm just seeing the revised way the power's delivered. I have to say, I did like the way it used to "jump out of the blocks" when the operator "got it right". It's ironic - it's still much quicker than 90% of cars, but because I've seen what it can do, I miss it.

Matty - Re tuning. I've been resisting until warranty is up, and someone comes out with a reliable "flash at home" alternative. So I'm watching the COBB thread, and have everything crossed that they get around to doing a version that'll work for our 98 fuel. At that point - I'm in!!

Until then, I'll have to settle with being in the top 10% (or whatever it really is) -- Oh! Poor me.
Appreciate 0