BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-10-2016, 07:37 PM   #23
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I have the OEM battery tender, which I think is a re-branded Deltran. I use it whenever I'm not going to be driving the car for a couple weeks or longer (sometimes much longer, like a 7-month deployment).

Is the CTEK any better?

I should probably use it more regularly, now that the car is being driven a lot less. Do you keep open all the time when you use yours? That's honestly what keeps me from using it every day. That, and the garage at the place I'm living now is sort of inconvenient in terms of outlets.

What do you mean by OPEN ? As in the car open? I leave the hood up inside my garage(private) as it charges and conditions the battery. You could also use the direct cable links and charge the battery with a closed engine hood or directly at the battery terminals. But I always just use the large alligator battery clamps to charge the car.

I have noticed when I charge my e82 or even my e39... when ever I hook up the CTEK not all the lights will come on - as if the battery is not fully charged. Normally only the first three lights will come one at first hookup. Then after a day all five lights - will be on and the unit is trickle charging the battery.

Here is the CTEK unit I use. I bought it for around ~60 euros. Does your unit look like this one ?
Name:  CTEK-MXS-5.0-Batterieladegerät-Auto.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  118.5 KB
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 08:09 PM   #24
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
What do you mean by OPEN ? As in the car open? I leave the hood up inside my garage(private) as it charges and conditions the battery. You could also use the direct cable links and charge the battery with a closed engine hood or directly at the battery terminals. But I always just use the large alligator battery clamps to charge the car.

I have noticed when I charge my e82 or even my e39... when ever I hook up the CTEK not all the lights will come on - as if the battery is not fully charged. Normally only the first three lights will come one at first hookup. Then after a day all five lights - will be on and the unit is trickle charging the battery.

Here is the CTEK unit I use. I bought it for around ~60 euros. Does your unit look like this one ?
Attachment 1524698
Yes, I meant leave the hood open. Sorry about the typo.

I have the BMW charger mentioned in this article (a rebranded Deltran Battery Tender, like I mentioned). Looking here, it looks like BMW just replaced it with a rebranded CTEK.
      11-10-2016, 10:16 PM   #25
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I have a similar CTEK (Model 0.8) and I use it every day.

Even after a long drive, not all of the LEDs on the charger come on (only two when first turned on), but after a couple of hours, the CTEK indicates that the battery is fully charged (green LED).

11-11-2016, 05:09 PM   #26
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

I just don't want to do this myself, I'm tired of taking cars apart and honestly am a bit concerned about access to the starter. Local Indie doesn't have the bandwidth to do this in the time I need it done, and so I schlepped the car to the dealer this morning. Ferman BMW in Palm Harbor, FL. The experience there is exceptional, very clean and new, very professional. I'm driving some YUGE 4dr Dodge as a loaner (they also own a Dodge dealership, I asked if there were any BMW loaners there and got laughed at).

It's the starter cable, $510 (presumably including the YUGE Dodge) for a $77 part. Part isn't available locally, so they're hoping the car will be ready on Tuesday. I have never in my life taken my car to somebody for a repair I could have done myself, never. It's very odd getting old.
      11-11-2016, 11:11 PM   #27
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fabulous View Post
It's the starter cable, $510 (presumably including the YUGE Dodge) for a $77 part. Part isn't available locally, so they're hoping the car will be ready on Tuesday. I have never in my life taken my car to somebody for a repair I could have done myself, never. It's very odd getting old.
Dude, I can sympathize... This is what today's autos have come to unfortunately.
      11-13-2016, 04:03 PM   #28
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Unhappy

Wow! I haven't gone to the dealer for anything - haven't gone to anybody for anything - other than the initial "free" service. I like to do stuff myself too but I find it a little challenging to locate things. Stuff is not always in the location I am used to for other cars. But that is a LOT for a cable replacement. But it can be a major pain and the battery is in the trunk...
      11-14-2016, 02:40 PM   #29
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

Car is back from the dealer (Ferman BMW, Palm Harbor, FL... very clean, very professional, always an outstanding experience). $581 for a $77 part (incl tax and a loaner at no cost to me, three nights). My goodness... in as much as I no longer enjoy working on cars, I could do a lot with that extra $500. Not sure what an indie would have cost, but this is my only car and so I would have eaten a rental and the inconvenience of dealing with that, and so perhaps that's a wash.

And my goodness, does she crank fast now! This cable has been bad/failing for as long as I've owned the car.

And now I have an itch, and expect to look at a local '01 M54 2.5l Z3 roadster later this week (49K miles)... I'm feeling old and needing something familiar (plus I'm told the 2.5l cars have a 3.64 Torsen diff and are mighty zippy while still getting 25-30mph)... *that* will be interesting to compare, I will post that.
      11-14-2016, 10:44 PM   #30
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.fabulous View Post
$581 for a $77 part (incl tax and a loaner at no cost to me, three nights).
Yeowch.