BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-10-2016, 06:41 PM   #1
nzskater
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Turbo

Question 135i Desirable Options

I'm new to the forums, due to looking into buying a used 135i, either a 2008/9 auto N54 or 2010 DCT N55. I've tried to find some info on what options I should look out for or make mandatory, but can't find a clear list to go by. Have searched the forums but haven't seen anything definitive. From what I've seen ALL 135i are considered "M Sport" as standard? NZ is limited to new cars sold here and imports from Japan, so could be limited to our market.

These are the cars I'm considering:
2008 N54 M Sport
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...?id=1197638662

2010 N54 M Sport inc "BMW Performance Parts" (suspect this may be marketing noise?)
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...?id=1192586114

2010 N55 DCT
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...?id=1195910891

Two of the cars have relatively high km's, but with cheap mechanical warranties available in NZ ($1300 for 3 years unlimited km's) I don't see this as an issue.

I'd really appreciate a steer on what I need to look for in one of these cars. I've test driven the N55 and really enjoyed it. Not quite as aggressive or focused as my weekend weapon, but I think a 135i would make a great daily/practical companion to the 911.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 07:28 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzskater View Post
I'm new to the forums...

These are the cars I'm considering:
#1 2008 N54 M Sport
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...?id=1197638662

#2 2010 N54 M Sport inc "BMW Performance Parts" (suspect this may be marketing noise?)
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...?id=1192586114

#3 2010 N55 DCT
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...?id=1195910891
There wasn't really a face lift for any of the 135i coupes. 2008 & 2009 models had the small slender mirrors. Starting from 2010 the mirrors changed to the larger so called: "Dumbo" ones. I like both. Speaking of face lift BMW did change/add eyebrows to the headlights in 2011 models - starting with the 1M. Also the tail light design changed. But you can upgrade the tail lights fairly easy for $400 for LCI's or Blackline(factory tinted units).

Basic mechanical differences are minor. Mid way in 2010 BMW switched the engines from the bi-turbo N54 unit to the single(twin scroll)turbo N55 engine. With the N55's BMW also introduced the DCT trans instead of the 6 speed ZF automatic. 2011 models also had linear rear suspension springs instead of the progressive springs. This tends to make the rear of the car feel more planted.

You could buy/order factory accessories from BMW under the name of "Performance". BMW offer things like carbon rear spoiler, mirror caps, stripes, exhaust(also called PE for Performance Exhaust), an engine tune +20PS called PPK(Performance Power Kit it was SW and a hardware upgrade) and yellow brake calipers(quite pricey at $2.5K) not any larger just the color was different!

Out of the cars you posted... #3 looks the nicest & cleanest to me.

Good Luck,
Dackel

PS: Check out the "sticky" section under 1Addicts for more info on our cars.

Like here... under each subforum are stickys for each topic...
here is the engine sub-forum...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=229

or here...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=226
Appreciate 1
Esteban43592.00
      11-10-2016, 09:52 PM   #3
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

You have a 911 so make sure the car has the increased top speed limiter and oil cooler.

The rest is up to your preference. The idrive is not necessary but very popular and if you want to use bluetooth for music I think you need the idrive.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 10:16 PM   #4
Dat Aus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

The "BMW Performance" parts on the white car isn't just marketing.

They were desirable factory options. Going by the photos, the BMW Performance parts it looks to have are the carbon fibre spoiler and the yellow break callipers. Judging by the black sticker on the valve cover, it also appears to have the Performance Power Kit (tune that adds 10 kw I think).

Other options (not fitted to the white car) included things like a slightly louder and better sounding exhaust, carbon fibre mirror covers and a rear diffuser that looks like this instead of the grey plastic.

So yes, those things on the white car are genuine BMW Performance factory options that the other cars don't have.

Personally, my car doesn't have iDrive or a sunroof. If I were to buy another 135, I would make sure it had those options. The car just feels a bit spartan without them, however, there are plenty of people on this forum whom wish their car DIDN'T have those options. It's all really about personal preference. Heated seats were also optional if that's something you might like to consider. You can also look out for the comfort access option (keyless).

You can peruse the brochures for each year here.
http://www.auto-brochures.com/bmw.html

Keep in mind, however, that they may be brochures from different markets that had different options and standard equipment.

Last edited by Dat Aus; 11-10-2016 at 10:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10531.50
      11-10-2016, 10:38 PM   #5
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Sport seats and the M steering wheel are must haves imo. They are part of the Sport and M Sport package and not all 135s come with those packages out here. Not sure what comes on the cars in your neck of the woods though.
      11-10-2016, 10:39 PM   #6
Dat Aus
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Sport seats and the M steering wheel are must haves imo. They are part of the Sport and M Sport package and not all 135s come with those packages out here. Not sure what comes on the cars in your neck of the woods though.
I'm 99% certain NZ receives the same specification cars as Australia. If that is the case, all 135s have the M Sport pack as standard, which includes the wheel and seats.
Appreciate 1
Esteban43592.00
      11-10-2016, 10:44 PM   #7
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dat Aus View Post
I'm 99% certain NZ receives the same specification cars as Australia. If that is the case, all 135s have the M Sport pack as standard, which includes the wheel and seats.
Well you guys are lucky because those items are cool.
      11-11-2016, 08:35 AM   #8
greenthumb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 135i ///M-Sport

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dat Aus View Post
The "BMW Performance" parts on the white car isn't just marketing.

They were desirable factory options.
They're not factory options. They're dealer installed accessories. Anyone can add whatever Performance parts they want anytime after taking delivery.
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10531.50
Esteban43592.00
      11-11-2016, 10:19 AM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumb View Post
They're not factory options. They're dealer installed accessories. Anyone can add whatever Performance parts they want anytime after taking delivery.
Actually for the US market... yeah they were part's options. BUT... IF you ordered them with your new 135i, when the car got to BMW's VPC, those parts were installed and carried a 4 year warranty - just like everything else on US spec cars. IF you bought the perf parts thru the parts dept, you only got a two year warranty. So your kind of right and wrong.
Appreciate 2
Esteban43592.00
      11-13-2016, 02:04 PM   #10
nzskater
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Turbo

Thanks for the details everyone, is much appreciated. Regarding iDrive/Bluetooth - is it worth looking for a car with Bluetooth for hands free and streaming music optioned in, or is the factory option better ignored and an after market kit installed instead?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 04:19 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the details everyone, is much appreciated. Regarding iDrive/Bluetooth - is it worth looking for a car with Bluetooth for hands free and streaming music optioned in, or is the factory option better ignored and an after market kit installed instead?
Blue tooth is a common option. But if you find a car with just the USB and AUX audio inputs(under the center arm rest)... you can add blue tooth this way...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008AGQMQC...I32M7FNH1UU0KC

I don't have blue tooth on my car. I don't stream music. Instead I just put my fav music on a USB stick and insert it under my arm rest. Just make sure the car you are looking at has the 6FL option(code). All cars have the AUX input but the USB port was an option on the early cars(I believe?).
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2016, 04:19 PM   #12
Dat Aus
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that all 135s came with bluetooth standard, however, it is only for phone calls. You can't stream music through it unless you have iDrive.

All 1ers have an aux input under the armrest though so playing music is easy. Most people buy one of these which plugs into that aux input and allows you to stream music through it via bluetooth. So it's an easy fix. If bluetooth music is a must have for you, I wouldn't make no iDrive a deal breaker if the car is otherwise perfect because you can always get one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 05:10 PM   #13
jemfff
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i l F20 118i

Quote:
Just be aware that some of the Japanese to English conversion may be buggy, with the menu text that may not appear sometimes and makes navigation of the menu virtually impossible.

There is one with parking sensor which is quite useful, particularly in Auckland but rarely optioned in Japan...not sure why. Retrofitting it would not be ideal...

Check the shadow trim, for some reason most of the Japanese 135i have badly oxidised shadow trim around the windows (I suspect acid rain and other harsh environmental reasons). I cannot tell by the photos but I am sure you will see it clearly in person.

Check the tires, may be related to road salt in some areas of Japan which tends to result in premature cracks on the threads etc.

But I think given the price and the aspects to consider, I would personally go with: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...?id=1200554697 (new listing)

Loving my 135i on the back roads around Hunua!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 12:22 PM   #14
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Most desirable option:
6MT
Appreciate 0