BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-22-2011, 12:09 AM   #1
sturgis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

UUC short shift installed - vibration from carrier bearing?

NEED SOME SERIOUS HELP HERE...

So just put in a UUC SSK last weekend and holy hell was it a PITA. I have access to a lift and tools so I figured 3 hours maybe 4 tops.
I got everything out and back in place fine. I dropped the heat shield and exhaust. didn't want to bend it so I had room to work.

Once I was nearly completely done, I couldn't get the selector rod through the lower end of the shift level that has the bearing and two bearing sleeves which you also attach the yellow plastic washer and c-clip to. It was insanely tight, beyond tight to the point where I had it lubricated and started to loosen the 4x13mm bolts that hold the back of the tranny up to get more room so I could apply more force to get it in. Eventually I got sick and tired of screwing around trying to get it in and dropped the front end of the drive shaft from the guibo. I gently let it hang, got a pair of channel locks in their and was able to press the assembly together. The yellow washer did not fit so I left it out. The assembly was so tight I had to hold the c-clip in place and gently tap it with a hammer to get it on (it was also lubricated to pull this off). At that point I tested the shifter everything felt great although it was leaning to the right slightly (which apparently means it's reversed although the directions say the anti-tamper bolt must face forward which it does)

To make a long story short I button everything back up and I go for a test drive and have vibration under load, feels like its right under my seat. I have to run so the car is driven maybe 10 miles and I return to the shop the next day b/c the vibration is driving me nuts. I drop everything again make sure everything is tight and notice rubber residue around the carrier bearing area on the heat shield. So I start playing with the adjustment on the carrier bushing and probably adjust it 5 different times and keep test driving all the while getting a hard vibration under load. I double check and make sure everything is tight but spend 3-4 hours and made absolutely zero progress.

I can't figure it out is it possible I destroyed that bearing with light driving for just 10 miles?

All help is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 03:05 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Maybe you damaged the driveshaft center bearing when you let it hang?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
The best way to reassemble it is to only up the drive shaft and the tran cross member, then the carrier bearing. I always do it that way and never have an issue. I suppose it's possible the bearing did get damaged in that short of mileage. Are you still under warranty? Take it in if so. They should take care of it. Also, did you do anything else to the car? Loose wheels or something of that nature could do it also.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #4
sturgis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

I did that and then after another test drive, dropped the tranny cross member supporting the transmission, and then jacked it back up into its natural position. I'm wondering if I'll get hassled at all for warranty with the ssk?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 12:40 PM   #5
wantmymoneyincash
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgis View Post
I did that and then after another test drive, dropped the tranny cross member supporting the transmission, and then jacked it back up into its natural position. I'm wondering if I'll get hassled at all for warranty with the ssk?
Back from the dead. You ever figure this out?

Having very similar issues after my install of the uuc ssk. I didn’t have access to a lift so was on jacks in the driveway, was a real PIA. I took the exhaust off from the cat all the way to the springs bolts, dropped the exhaust, dropped the heat shield, and the driveline so I could get access the the shifter carrier and bushings. Replaced the carrier bushings with Teflon. The AKG DSSR did not fit, kept the oem. Also did RE transmission mounts and a Wagner catted DP while I was down there.

So I’m now having vibration issues in first gear under hard acceleration from about 3k rpms. This only happens in first gear and very slightly in second gear low rpms. Every other gear is fine.

It feels like it’s coming from the center of the car so I’m thinking driveline, maybe the center support bearing from the research I have been doing. The guibo is aluminum so it is certainly fine. I’m also worried I messed up the reinstall of the guibo/Driveline for some reason. Would the driveline be out of balance or off center ? Is it possible for the guibo to be installed the wrong way or if the driveline wasn’t put exactly in the same bolt hole on the guibo ?
Appreciate 0