BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-16-2011, 01:36 AM   #1
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Request Front Bumper Removal/Headlight Install

Title says it. If you could post that would be sweet

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 03:21 AM   #2
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

removal bumper

1. take off the black rubber stripes in the hood where bumper sit top.
2. take off bolts there I guess there are 4 of them....
3. take out 3 screws each from inside each wheel wall.
4. take off 8-10 screws underneath the bumper.
5. THIS IS TRICKY PART - use flat tool and slide it at the edge of the bumper where fender meets, and by doing so, the tab will be unclip.
6. Pull the bumper forward.... if they are little stuck... hitting will help

as for headlight,
straight forward.. you will see screws.. just unscrew them.
you will need long driver....like 10" long.... from my experience.
Have good one! are you getting new headlight?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Thanks! I believe I found a step by step guide on here from awhile ago that just popped up on my searching.

Yes, I will be getting new headlights from Sam (DEPOs that are modified with HID/LED rings)

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...t+bumper+cover

Last edited by Satalite; 01-16-2011 at 07:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
akel
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw 120d m sport 2010

hello

can you get me headlights from sam? depo's modified? cheers
i really like your headlights 'SATALITE' they look awesome,
i wish i could get the same,
is it possible?
i have depo's with angel eyes they look terrible they're white but not as bright, plus the light is un even so at day time they look whack if seen, on ebay when purchased they looked good in pictured but when received, they ween't as nice as expected.
anyhow i'm in the process of fitting UMNITZA V4's AE's in the Depo so will be removing the DEPO AE's and installing UMNITZA V4's,
but if i can get the headlights with LED/SMD angel eye rings, it will save alot hassle and time.
thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
Title says it. If you could post that would be sweet

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 09:08 AM   #5
aaronrem
Registered
Rep

I know this was from awhile ago, but I just had to remove my bumper to change the headlights and I ended up struggling for about 45 minutes trying to figure out how to get the bumper to unclip. So I thought that I would just elaborate a tiny bit on step 5 in case anyone needs it in the future.

So once all the other screws holding the bumper on are removed, all that is left are 2 tabs on either side of the bumper that connect it by slotting themselves up into a black piece of plastic that you can see in the crack between the fender and the bumper. Both of the tabs are on the front facing portion of the bumper right outside of the headlight (sorry, its really hard to verbally describe the bumper shape haha).

Anyways, I didn't have any sort of plastic wedge so I took a knife (probably not the best idea), and you will have to insert it UNDER the black plastic piece you see between the bumper and fender. It took quite a bit of effort for me since the plastic piece didn't really want to lift away from the bumper, but after working at it for a bit I was able to push it under the plastic, I aimed for between the two tabs. At that point I lifted up on the black plastic and tugged on the bumper and finally it let go.

Once I got the one side and saw how it was held on it made alot more sense and I was able to get the second side no problem. But hopefully this will help so people in the future wont have as much of a struggle as I did.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 04:45 PM   #6
KAR
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Monaco Blau 135i Coupe

Thanks aaronrem!

I'm about to take on this exact DIY... yup, Genuine Euro BMW clear headlights and all. I greatly appreciate your clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronrem View Post
I know this was from awhile ago, but I just had to remove my bumper to change the headlights and I ended up struggling for about 45 minutes trying to figure out how to get the bumper to unclip. So I thought that I would just elaborate a tiny bit on step 5 in case anyone needs it in the future.

So once all the other screws holding the bumper on are removed, all that is left are 2 tabs on either side of the bumper that connect it by slotting themselves up into a black piece of plastic that you can see in the crack between the fender and the bumper. Both of the tabs are on the front facing portion of the bumper right outside of the headlight (sorry, its really hard to verbally describe the bumper shape haha).

Anyways, I didn't have any sort of plastic wedge so I took a knife (probably not the best idea), and you will have to insert it UNDER the black plastic piece you see between the bumper and fender. It took quite a bit of effort for me since the plastic piece didn't really want to lift away from the bumper, but after working at it for a bit I was able to push it under the plastic, I aimed for between the two tabs. At that point I lifted up on the black plastic and tugged on the bumper and finally it let go.

Once I got the one side and saw how it was held on it made alot more sense and I was able to get the second side no problem. But hopefully this will help so people in the future wont have as much of a struggle as I did.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 12:42 AM   #7
aaronrem
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAR View Post
Thanks aaronrem!

I'm about to take on this exact DIY... yup, Genuine Euro BMW clear headlights and all. I greatly appreciate your clarification.
No problem, glad I could help! I ended up having to take the bumper off a second time and it gets easier each time. This time I knew where the tabs were and was able to pop them out one at a time starting from the outside with only a light tugging/peeling motion from the bumper corner in the wheel well... but I really hope for your sake you only have to do all that work once

Last edited by aaronrem; 07-02-2016 at 12:48 AM..
Appreciate 0