BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #45
BMWPower06
A^M=G is nothing w/o the Power of ///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 & ///M3

My question is why does the OBD port even have power without the key in the ignition? The OBD port should be dead without any key present...seems like a simple fix to the problem
      07-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #46
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
So... has anyone tried pulling the fuse for the OBD-II port? I think in that other thread it was fuse #74 if I am not mistaken. ???
And it takes seconds to put a fuse back in.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #47
CSL335i
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep
Drives: M2 and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolen1m View Post
My BMW 1M stolen without keys in 3 minutes! This is a video of a £43,000 BMW 1M Stolen at 3am in 3 minutes. The thieves accomplished this by accessing the BMW OBD port in the footwell by breaking the glass, reaching in and using a device to reprogram a blank key fob. The car was simply then unlocked and pushed off the drive and driven away.

BMW doesn't seem to want to admit they have a problem, even though over 300 cars have been stolen in March 2012 in a single UK county.

May i ask you to confirm the software version of your car? This keyless/key codeing car thefting is exist almost one and half year ago. As much as i know, BMW made some changes in the newer software versions (from febr or march, but not confirmed offically), which means in this case it is not possible to code a new key to the car with this method. But it is always just a question of time, maybe there is a newer version of this method as well.

On my BMWs i am using an anti-theft system, which was developed and manufactured by my friend a few yeras ago here at Hungary. More than 2.000 car is protected by this system (Porsche, BMW, Audi, and other vendors).

This system uses a two-factor authentication methid to unlock the protection system. First you have to authenticate yourself with a special coded key transponder. During this first level authentication, a one-time-use password is used between the transponder and the central-system to authenticate each other. The key transponder has a three cm efficent range, so you realy should put it close the the reader.

If the first authentication was ok, than you can open the doors without alarming and start the car/engine, but after the car moves away you have to authenticate yourself again. During this second authentication, you have to give your personal code, mainly on the steering wheel buttons. For example: turn audio level up x 2 and then push BC. It is your choice, what iwill be your personal key combination, which is programmed during the installation. If one of the authentication fails, the engine isnt starting or will shut down and the system alarms.
If you would like to open the engine boot, you also have to provide the two factor auth. Without these, you cannot open the engine boot.
Engine bay should be kept closed, as the central system located in the engne bay, therefore needs to be protected.

If the theft stole your BMW key and your key transponder, than they can ope your car, they can start the engine and drive your car for a few meters as the second authentication also should be raised. But the theft does not know, what is your personal code, therefore the engine will shut down and the car will alarm.

If the theft try to lift up your car, it alarms as well.

In Hungary BMW is using a switch, which is hidden and interrupt the ODB port. This is not the best option as maybe easily can be found.

Laszlo
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #48
WULFFZA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MSport / 2012 X5 35d

"BMW is doing nothing about it" Not BMWs problem that the UK can't combat its car theft problem with law enforcement. How do the cars magically disappear from the island anyway? Do they get chopped? Do they not have automated databases of VIN numbers, insurance records, police reports etc?

Reading the BMWCar UK magazine monthly is good education. The US remains the place to be for car fanatics. Everywhere else seems worse off with respect to one or all of the following - Purchase cost, inventory selection, delivery lag time, sales taxes, service and parts cost and availability, insurance cost, emissions taxes, specialty plates cost, finance rates etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #49
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

i imagine that any recent BMW 2009+ is being affected by this ....

and it can happen anywhere, anytime you turn your back away ...

BMW better release a software that does not allow people to access those kind of information transfer !

How come my PS3 HD is even more harder to access (IMPOSSIBLE) than my 2012 F30 ??
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #50
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Guys there is probably only one ground and ONE power wire in the OBD-II socket. It can't be that hard to wire in a switch.
It's not apprentley. A guy on Pistonheads posted about doing such a thing, took him 20 mins to wire in two seperate hidden micro switches to the OBD port..... and this succeeded in preventing the theft of his sisters 335d when she came out of work to find the side window smashed, a removed OBD port cover, but crucially the car still there.
      07-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #51
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
Apparently www.garrisonlocks.co.uk will be releasing an OBD port clamp to prevent this form of attack shortly.

I've sent them an email enquiry and will let you know what I hear back.
That's great Chris, I'll certainley be interested to see what they come up with.
      07-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #52
Hakonbk
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 320d

Heard of many incidents like this in Norway lately too!
Several E60 530/535d who have been jacked.
They belive they have been waiting for the owner to come home, interupted the RF transmit from the key so the car didnt lock. And reprogrammed the OBD too a key they had. Drove the car onto a trailer and shipped them to Poland or Lithuania like everything else that is stolen in our country. :/
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #53
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

You know the movie Taken? If I had a 1M and someone stole it I would be very similar too that.

Jokes aside. I would be sick if that happened to me. And I really hope that you get your car back without any damages.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #54
Park828
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 535i msprt e60 550i msprt

I guess its time to move the obd port to a secret area... and leave the original port in there with random half wires with 12v and other half to ground to destroy the tool when they do try...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #55
hybris4u
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 1-serie M Coupé and BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WULFFZA View Post
"BMW is doing nothing about it" Not BMWs problem that the UK can't combat its car theft problem with law enforcement. How do the cars magically disappear from the island anyway? Do they get chopped? Do they not have automated databases of VIN numbers, insurance records, police reports etc?

Reading the BMWCar UK magazine monthly is good education. The US remains the place to be for car fanatics. Everywhere else seems worse off with respect to one or all of the following - Purchase cost, inventory selection, delivery lag time, sales taxes, service and parts cost and availability, insurance cost, emissions taxes, specialty plates cost, finance rates etc.
True. On the other hand our roads are so much more fun to drive on! In general that is. Probably are a lot of great roads in the US also but in general around the large cities the roads sucks. Straight lines and heavy traffic. Been in a bunch of cities and driven around and in general it sucks bigtime! ;-)Nothing compares to some of the great and windy roads we have over here where the 1M can really show what it was made for... ;-)
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #56
bnombe
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 E92M3 6MT/ZCP/JetBlkFoxRed

Quote:
It is a problem for both LHD and RHD bmw's. Both configurations have a blind spot for the alarm system - down the A pillar and to the OBD-II port. And that is even IF your car has a factory alarm!
So this alarm system motion sensor blind spot is specific the the E82 and E88 then?

So fawking scary to know that they can program a blank so easily and quickly
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #57
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotth944 View Post
We need to figure out how to move the OBDII port next to a motion sensor. I don't understand why BMW can't disable certain operations while the alarm code has been enabled in their networked systems??
Exactly. . . if the car is locked and the motion sensor is on, why can't the OBD port itself trigger an alarm? Would an honest mechanic ever ever have a legitimate reason to access the OBD and read codes with the car doors closed and locked? I doubt it. It would seem that this whole mess could be corrected with a firmware update.

300 BMW's in 1 county in 1 month? OUCH.

This situation is begging for a sting operation.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #58
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park828 View Post
I guess its time to move the obd port to a secret area... and leave the original port in there with random half wires with 12v and other half to ground to destroy the tool when they do try...
+1

My suggestion for effectively hitting back at these devilish tools: Mirror all power related lines and crank up the other pins (with an dc/dc converter) to over 100V. Engineers from Munchen feel free to chime in here ...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #59
wsafire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m3

Sorry about your loss, thankfully you and your family were not harmed. Sadly, this is not just a U.K. problem, nor is it just a BMW problem.
I have zero tolerance for car thieves--its just as violating as a home robbery. Its too bad a 12-gauge wasn't on hand to help resolve the issue...

One big happy family!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #60
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park828 View Post

Fantastic idea! How much voltage would it take to fry the circuitry in there 8k Euro tool? That would be very satisfying. I will be waiting for security camera footage of a pissed off thief cussing as his precious tool smokes in his hand. <-- wow, just re-read that . . . no off topic humor was intended.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #61
bmw_za
Registered
South Africa
Rep
Drives: X5 3.0d Sport

Damn!

I take it UK cars don't have satellite tracking as in South Africa then?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #62
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Fantastic idea! How much voltage would it take to fry the circuitry in there 8k Euro tool? That would be very satisfying. I will be waiting for security camera footage of a pissed off thief cussing as his precious tool smokes in his hand. <-- wow, just re-read that . . . no off topic humor was intended.
EVEN if you could wire up something like that... you would just blow the guys fuse in his "device". All electronic tools have fuses don't you know!?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #63
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
EVEN if you could wire up something like that... you would just blow the guys fuse in his "device". All electronic tools have fuses don't you know!?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #64
Shahdog
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i mSport Sedan E90 N55

Garage List
2011 335i  [8.66]
I leave a Rottweiler in my car overnight

Usually leave him hungry
Lux H8 , HID Fog lights 5k
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #65
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahdog View Post
I leave a Rottweiler in my car overnight

Usually leave him hungry
Definitely a fail safe method.
      07-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #66
Bond5M5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 316i

There's simple solution to this problem. Simply don't allow any OBD port modifications if there's no original or spare key present. If you lose both keys then you should follow standard procedure in that situation and wait until BMW sends you another key. During that period OBD port doesn't work and NO ONE can make any changes. I think every owner would agree to wait for the car until new key arrives from BMW in case he loses both keys. This way it doesn't matter where the OBD port is located since it requires original (or spare) key to function in the first place.
Appreciate 0