BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-28-2016, 10:58 AM   #1
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

Remove Road Paint

Hi guys.

My F-I-L picked up a bunch of white goop a couple weeks ago, and thinks he ran over some fresh road paint. He got the car washed last week and it didn't make a dent.

This morning, I:
Sprayed with water,
Washed with ONR,
Rinsed with water,
Rubbed with Gum Spirits Turpentine,
Rinsed with water,
Rubbed with Mequiar's Mirror Glaze,
Waxed with Optimum Spray Wax.

And,
Nothing.

It's all still there.

I did chip one piece off with my thumbnail.

What should I try next? Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover? Goof Off? Is there something better?
Obviously I'll clay bar, polish and wax to restore the luster and protect the finish, but that'll be after I get the goop off.
I don't want to damage the paint, and the splatter spreads from the middle of the car all the way to the trailing edge of the fender.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 07:13 AM   #2
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Road paint is a beast... especially if it has sat for weeks. This is something that needs to be treated immediately if you want to be successful.

There are specialized products out there (google road paint removal), however they come with mixed reviews. Ultimately you will need to try a strong solvent to try to strip the road paint without damaging the paint on the vehicle. If that does not work, the only way would be to scrape or sand it off and then compound & polish the surface back to a glossy finish. The risk here is very high as the road paint is likely splattered, not spread nice and even, so you would be sanding the vehicle's finish as well as the road paint and could potentially sand through the clear coat in your attempt to remove the road paint.

Good luck!

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 08:31 AM   #3
one 35i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSM/terra

road paint

got some on my Jeep and it was still there 13 years later when I sold it. I tried everything except having a body shop sand/refinish the area. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 09:11 AM   #4
crankestein
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

I am just saying, my neighbor got owned when he parked near a multi-level parking lot under construction. Bunch of concrete drops, spray over his hood. He went ballistic when he saw the car. It was a battle for compensation, tracking down the company plus his busy schedule made it impossible to recoop with their insurance company.

Then one day when he took it to one of the paint shops for an estimate, one of the employees gave him a recommendation and for a fraction of what he was been charged, would get it off. He used diesel fuel, mixed with wax/rubbing compound and a little of Armor All. He first tried on a small spot/area just in case. A few hours, and some elbow grease, and all the concrete spots were gone.

This is just a suggestion, attempt as a last resort.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 09:51 AM   #5
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

We had a similar issue with a car here. It was so thick on the car you could not tell where the mudflaps were. Ended up having to sand and repaint the entire side of the car and replace any unpainted plastic.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 11:23 AM   #6
tjswarbrick
<(O0=[][]=0O)>
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 N55 E88

Thanks guys...
Here I thought I could help him out.
Actually, I found in his (now our mutual) garage a 40 year old bottle of bug & tar remover that smells like diesel fuel - so perhaps that'll be my next thing to try. It worked when he rubbed his front fender against the refrigerator...
I'm not gonna touch the tire, mudflap or inner fender - I'll let time and use take care of that nonsense. If I can get it off the door and upper rear of fender I think we'll both be happy. Neither of us is interested in sanding and refinishing.
Appreciate 0