BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-25-2018, 12:36 PM   #375
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Here's my cluster now:
Name:  DSC_3575.jpg
Views: 1643
Size:  98.7 KB

It is a 135i cluster that came off a car with 89k miles. I think it was an '08, but I'm not sure, it was $99.

After tearing into it, I found that the EEPROM was the same model (080D0WQ) as was on my 128i's cluster. I then thought, heck, I'll just swap the EEPROMs around since they're the same model, they must communicate and work the same way. They did, and everything worked right off the bat; odometer, tacho, speedo, fuel, but the oil temp needle was indicating the instant MPG.

I then delved into Google, and found a few E90 threads about people wanting to change the MPG gauge into an oil temp gauge. I followed the coding instructions, using Tool32, and ended up with a successful code, and it was all done.

Here's a link to a Google Doc I was typing up for my DIY (which I pretty much just wrote here): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
Tuxedo1398.50
519.E82243.00
      06-25-2018, 02:43 PM   #376
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzollo93 View Post
that's interesting, my 09 128 has a ton of stuff displayed in the bottom left.. must be an option?
Say wha? There was no option that added a temp gauge (or any other gauge). I suppose it's possible that early cars had the gauge and then the car was decontented, but I kind of doubt it, as this subject has come up many, many times before.

And what do you mean by "tons of information?" Can you post a pic?
      06-25-2018, 03:27 PM   #377
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Say wha? There was no option that added a temp gauge (or any other gauge). I suppose it's possible that early cars had the gauge and then the car was decontented, but I kind of doubt it, as this subject has come up many, many times before.

And what do you mean by "tons of information?" Can you post a pic?
I think the later Euro 1's all got MPG gauges, unless they were 135i's or some 130i's that got oil temp gauges.
      06-25-2018, 04:15 PM   #378
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
The 128i gauges don't even display MPG like the 328i gauges do - that space on the lower left is just completely blank on our cars.

interesting, I did not know that.

Anyway, the sensor at least is the same, the data is already there. I wonder how many cents BMW saved by deleting the gage on the 128i, lol..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 07:44 PM   #379
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post

Anyway, the sensor at least is the same, the data is already there. I wonder how many cents BMW saved by deleting the gage on the 128i, lol..
They gained money by sending the "performance-minded" buyers to the 135i, which has all the goodies (8k tach, oil temp, 6-pot brakes, etc.). Unfortunate? For us, yes. Deal breaker? Hell no.
      06-25-2018, 10:46 PM   #380
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Quote:

They gained money by sending the "performance-minded" buyers to the 135i, which has all the goodies (8k tach, oil temp, 6-pot brakes, etc.). Unfortunate? For us, yes. Deal breaker? Hell no.
I didn't realize the 135i tach went up to 8K, but I see it in your pic now. Keep da cool, but also what's the point of 500 more RPM past redline. I guess some of us with tunes have increased redlines.
      06-26-2018, 10:58 AM   #381
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I didn't realize the 135i tach went up to 8K, but I see it in your pic now. Keep da cool, but also what's the point of 500 more RPM past redline. I guess some of us with tunes have increased redlines.
I think it's to give the car a "sportier" feel by having a higher number on the tach. I swapped the tach face back to the 128i face because I know my car doesn't spin past 7000.

Here it is now:
Attached Images

06-26-2018, 12:23 PM   #382
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think it's to give the car a "sportier" feel by having a higher number on the tach. I swapped the tach face back to the 128i face because I know my car doesn't spin past 7000.

Here it is now:
Were the revs otherwise accurate on the 135i tach? If so, I might just keep the 8K tach on there myself when I do the swap.

First I need to figure out Toolset32. I used it last year to register my battery, but now I can’t find the MSV80.prg file. INPA doesn’t seem to be recognizing my car, either, and NCSExpert is only opening in German, so I don’t know WTF is going on. I haven’t made any changes to the ECU or the laptop (that I can recall) so I’m kind of at a loss.

I guess I can try reinstalling the entire software suite, but I’m afraid of losing something - I remember having to find and download the latest DATEN files a couple of years ago after the car was reflashed by the dealer, and that was kind of a PITA.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 01:23 PM   #383
crowtrobot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Were the revs otherwise accurate on the 135i tach? If so, I might just keep the 8K tach on there myself when I do the swap.

First I need to figure out Toolset32. I used it last year to register my battery, but now I can’t find the MSV80.prg file. INPA doesn’t seem to be recognizing my car, either, and NCSExpert is only opening in German, so I don’t know WTF is going on. I haven’t made any changes to the ECU or the laptop (that I can recall) so I’m kind of at a loss.

I guess I can try reinstalling the entire software suite, but I’m afraid of losing something - I remember having to find and download the latest DATEN files a couple of years ago after the car was reflashed by the dealer, and that was kind of a PITA.
I just used "Mikes Easy BMW Tools Package" (search with google, not sure what linking rules are around here for these things), it was really easy. Installed on a Windows 10 laptop and amazon KDCAN cable, and everything pretty much just worked out of the box, no messing with old laptops or VMs.

Good to know about the 135i cluster, this seems like good mod for track-oriented people.
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2018, 03:54 PM   #384
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
The tach was not accurate with the 135i cluster, you'd have to recode the thing to read for the 135i's rev range, which I never found out how to do...
      06-26-2018, 03:57 PM   #385
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
The tach was not accurate with the 135i cluster, you'd have to recode the thing to read for the 135i's rev range, which I never found out how to do...
are you sure about that? they're both inline 6's. And it's a digital RPM signal via CAN - it's not the individual tach pulses like the old analog gauges. I don't see why it wouldn't be accurate, especially since MSV80 and MSD80 are pretty much the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 05:02 PM   #386
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
are you sure about that? they're both inline 6's. And it's a digital RPM signal via CAN - it's not the individual tach pulses like the old analog gauges. I don't see why it wouldn't be accurate, especially since MSV80 and MSD80 are pretty much the same thing.
The EEPROM (thing I talked about swapping between clusters) contains programming that tells it what the displayed ranges are for the given needle. Swapping the 128 EEPROM into the 135 cluster, it'll still control the tach needle like it goes to 7.5k, hence me splicing the gauge face...
      06-27-2018, 08:38 AM   #387
mzollo93
Rep
Drives: 128i

I take back the statement that it was lower left.. its center. but it DOES display my MPG average, rolling MPG, distance to empty etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 01:42 PM   #388
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzollo93 View Post
I take back the statement that it was lower left.. its center. but it DOES display my MPG average, rolling MPG, distance to empty etc.
Yeah, you're talking about the OBC. We're discussing the actual oil temp gauge that the 128i lacks.
      06-30-2018, 10:33 AM   #389
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixracer View Post
I have been tempted to get a 135 cluster and get it coded just for the temp gauge. Another thing that was temping was to add an oil cooler for extra heat displacement. After Mid Ohio with 80+ temp and high humidity and no limp mode issues I decided to sell my oil cooler set up.
I agree that an oil cooler is probably unnecessary, especially for the kind of driving that my car sees lately. Although one wonders why BMW put it on the high-output N52s in the first place - they're obviously concerned enough about cost to delete a temp gauge, they must've seen some benefit of providing the heat exchanger. Theoretically, in addition to dissipating heat in a hot engine, in a cold engine the warm coolant should bring the oil up to temp more quickly - of course, it's impossible to say how much more quickly without a temp gauge before and after.

At the end of the day, I did it mainly because I like to tinker, and I was going to have the oil filter housing removed and the coolant drained anyway. And, of course, having an OE oil cooler retrofit just sounds cool.
      06-30-2018, 10:35 AM   #390
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=crowtrobot;23379745]I just used "Mikes Easy BMW Tools Package" (search with google, not sure what linking rules are around here for these things), it was really easy. Installed on a Windows 10 laptop and amazon KDCAN cable, and everything pretty much just worked out of the box, no messing with old laptops or VMs.[QUOTE]

Thanks for this info. Will check it out as soon as I'm able.
      06-30-2018, 12:14 PM   #391
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixracer View Post
I have been tempted to get a 135 cluster and get it coded just for the temp gauge. Another thing that was temping was to add an oil cooler for extra heat displacement. After Mid Ohio with 80+ temp and high humidity and no limp mode issues I decided to sell my oil cooler set up.
I agree that an oil cooler is probably unnecessary, especially for the kind of driving that my car sees lately. Although one wonders why BMW put it on the high-output N52s in the first place - they're obviously concerned enough about cost to delete a temp gauge, they must've seen some benefit of providing the heat exchanger. Theoretically, in addition to dissipating heat in a hot engine, in a cold engine the warm coolant should bring the oil up to temp more quickly - of course, it's impossible to say how much more quickly without a temp gauge before and after.

At the end of the day, I did it mainly because I like to tinker, and I was going to have the oil filter housing removed and the coolant drained anyway. And, of course, having an OE oil cooler retrofit just sounds cool.
The cool thing, is that if you need even more cooling, you can then fit a 135i air-oil cooler, or go for an upgraded one for the 135i. The benefits of modularity!

The high-load N52's got the cooler (X3, X5, 5'er), probably because they're heavier cars and BMW knows that the drivers won't wait for oil temp to climb before pushing the car...
      07-07-2018, 12:34 PM   #392
E30ROB
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35i M Sport AW3

Garage List
I recently swapped my 128i cluster as well for the 1M cluster. Plugged in without changing eeprom or any coding and works great. I will re-visit eeprom another day, in the meantime ill deal with the tamper dot.

Having the oil temp is key. Next I will be putting an OEM oil cooler on the car to help keep temps down and a catch can to keep residual out of the intake manifold. When I swapped to the N54 manifold the N52 manifold had a poooool of oil inside of it right before the throttle body outlet.

Looking good Bob!
Appreciate 2
      07-08-2018, 03:33 AM   #393
Zombie_Head
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: E30 325i 4-Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30ROB View Post
I recently swapped my 128i cluster as well for the 1M cluster. Plugged in without changing eeprom or any coding and works great. I will re-visit eeprom another day, in the meantime ill deal with the tamper dot.

Having the oil temp is key. Next I will be putting an OEM oil cooler on the car to help keep temps down and a catch can to keep residual out of the intake manifold. When I swapped to the N54 manifold the N52 manifold had a poooool of oil inside of it right before the throttle body outlet.

Looking good Bob!
I am running 5w-40 castrol oil, engine only has a software tune.

Mending airfield track day was seriously hot, maybe 43c+ on track. It was so hot that the Merc C63 AMG, two 991.1 911 turbos and a newer F80 M3 were forced to pit in after 3-5 laps.

Oil temp on my 125i were just a smudge over 120c (fitted a 135i cluster and coded). Remember, this is redlining 3rd gear on 2 corners and reaching 170-ish kph on the long straight, whole track is 3rd gear and never dropping below 4,000 rpm and sitting constantly at 5,000-6,000 rpms.

I always do some cooldowns and warmups before starting and ending my session, which is also key. 99% of everyone just blasts off the moment they get on track and not enough cooldown.

These cars do not run hot unless the weather is really beating down, traffic or seriously pushed. I always go on track with AC off, which also helps.

I know some people run a thinner oil, 0w-40/0w-35/0w-30 which are just too think IMO. I still still believe there is no need to run a 0w oil in these cars unless you live in Alaska/Greenland/Antarctica but again that is MY opinion.

Just checked some intake boots on my car yesterday, bone dry no oil films at all, maybe you need to check the factory AOS and connections in your car? NA engines rarely leave a film of oil.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 07:06 PM   #394
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowtrobot View Post
I just used "Mikes Easy BMW Tools Package" (search with google, not sure what linking rules are around here for these things), it was really easy. Installed on a Windows 10 laptop and amazon KDCAN cable, and everything pretty much just worked out of the box, no messing with old laptops or VMs.
Thanks for the tip! Worked out perfectly and was super easy. I'm already familiar with most of the software, but having it all installed in an idiot-proof package sure beat spending hours searching the internet for the correct DATEN files (don't ask me how I know).
      08-03-2018, 01:32 PM   #395
rho123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i - sold, 2007 Z4C

Quote:
Here's my cluster now:
Attachment 1849727

It is a 135i cluster that came off a car with 89k miles. I think it was an '08, but I'm not sure, it was $99.

After tearing into it, I found that the EEPROM was the same model (080D0WQ) as was on my 128i's cluster. I then thought, heck, I'll just swap the EEPROMs around since they're the same model, they must communicate and work the same way. They did, and everything worked right off the bat; odometer, tacho, speedo, fuel, but the oil temp needle was indicating the instant MPG.

I then delved into Google, and found a few E90 threads about people wanting to change the MPG gauge into an oil temp gauge. I followed the coding instructions, using Tool32, and ended up with a successful code, and it was all done.

Here's a link to a Google Doc I was typing up for my DIY (which I pretty much just wrote here): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
Great write up. Hope to find a low price cluster and duplicate what you did.
      12-02-2018, 01:17 PM   #396
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coal Roller

great build.
Appreciate 1