BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-26-2008, 11:19 PM   #23
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLS View Post
Hate apple for their marketing and the constant push to improve their lines? I call that good business, they found people want it, so they dish it. And they found where and how to sell it for the market.
What have they changed though on their product? They add one new feature and call for a whole new product. The video iPod was pretty much the only decent update to the product line (not including nano and touch). Sure it's good marketing, but it doesn't mean they're not ripping off the consumer hardcore. I've got nothing wrong with a company strongly promoting a product when it's truly innovative. However Apple makes it seem like anyone who has an old iPod is "out of the loop."

Perhaps I should just hate the Apple Addicts who eat it up like hotcakes instead. I've purchased one iPod and personally don't see the need to ever buy another iPod unless it's got some drastically different feature on in that I want. Otherwise pretty much every other decent MP3 player is on par with the iPod. Just not "hip" enough for some people. I really don't see the point in paying for the WAY overpriced "trendier" MP3 when you can a fairly cheap one with just as much storage.

After all, it's just an MP3 player.

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 12:03 AM   #24
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

Well at least this is a little more viable, not trying to bash you for hating on Apple, just hate it when people bash for no reason. But when it does come to advertising, they don't advertise each little update as a whole new product, just when they change it quite a bit. When they upgrade processors or storage capacities and whatnot, they say 'now up to 16gb' or 'now offered in red'.
They advertise it as a new line when they change the look because essentially it is a new product. Every time they changed the look they added something new about the software or the hardware.
History of the iPod:
1st gen: Decent design, huge and supported only macs.
2nd gen: Pretty much same design, instead of scrolling wheel it went to touch sensitive with buttons on perimeter. Also first iPod to be supported on Macs and PCs.
3rd gen: 1st complete redesign, all touch sensitive controls, buttons above the wheel also touch sensitive. Also dropped support of music match and brought in iTunes. Also supports USB for syncing now.
4th gen: First Implementation of the click wheel, now dropping the touch sensitive buttons. Supports USB for syncing and charging now. And a year later introducing color and image support.
5th gen: 2nd Complete redesign of the ipod, now offered in black and white. Also supports video now and has dropped it to firewire for only charging now. Support for games started as well.
6th gen: A minor redesign now in aluminum. And a new software upgrade.

So thats all up to date, each revision having storage upgrades, software upgrades, and display upgrades. When its 'just' a storage upgrade though they advertise it just as that, 'now available in', or a color option 'U2 special edition available'.

So, there you go, get back to me with any other issues you have and I'll gladly respond to your every post.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 03:27 AM   #25
aedeau
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: VE Clubsport R8 LS3 6.2Ltr

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneSkippy View Post
I really don't see the point in paying for the WAY overpriced "trendier" MP3 when you can a fairly cheap one with just as much storage.

After all, it's just an MP3 player.
or you could just buy a 16gb usb stick for $110 and use the USB in ur 1er :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 08:35 AM   #26
imported_Dodgy
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: SG 135i 6M

Wow. The founder of gravity certainly polarises opinion.

Apple product, is generally, far superior to its PC counterparts. I do think that quality and reliability/integration have suffered a little in the last year or so, coinciding with increasing popularity and constant upgrades.

Those of you who criticise for constantly updating their product...... Are you just plain mad?

They are a computer / electronics company. What the hell do you expect them to do? Make something, keep it the same for five years, then go again. Computers / Televisions / DVDs / Cameras / Video cams etc are updated every 6-12 months. Do you hate Sony, Kodak, Canon, HP, Dell, Intel etc etc etc as well.

No one tells you to get every new iPod released! But with faster processing, bigger & faster drives etc, why WOULDN'T a company update constantly.

I really think your argument is quite ridiculous. Say you hate Apple because you hate Apple, but don't formulate lame reasons for your opinions. You just discredit yourself.

No one says you have to like Apple. I don't particularly care if you do or don't. But save ridiculous drivel for the pub after a few beers.
      05-28-2008, 05:30 AM   #27
MMMMM3
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez Black e90 M3 DCT

Even though I use a PC. I've been using Apple Safari to surf the net instead of Microsoft Explorer - seems faster.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 06:22 AM   #28
Carlos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

So how come the 1 addicts forum has turned into a like/dislike apple forum?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2008, 06:23 AM   #29
Sydneysider
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Went to the Applestore in San Diego - a mate bought a Macbook Pro for 30% cheaper than the Oz price. The exchange rate is pretty good at the moment so it's a good time take advantage of that.

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 06:21 AM   #30
imported_Dodgy
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: SG 135i 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
So how come the 1 addicts forum has turned into a like/dislike apple forum?
Why not. We can bitch and argue about anything! We're good at that! :drinking:
      05-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #31
RobLS
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgy View Post
Why not. We can bitch and argue about anything! We're good at that! :drinking:
Yeah...did you not just see the thread that was closed about polarized lenses issues? Theres a reason why there are sub forums.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2008, 12:03 PM   #32
M3WannaBe
Loiterer
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneSkippy View Post
When I bought my iPhone I thought it was the biggest waste of cash ever. It doesn't really do anything a normal phone can't do except has a touch screen. The touch screen gets dirty after about an hour's use too. However, once you unlock the iPhone and can download all the 3rd party apps THEN it's worth the cash IMO.
I don't have an iPhone yet, but my wife has one. After the 3G version is released and my current mobile contract expires, I'll be getting a 3G iPhone. I'm a little surprised by your comments above, though I have to admit that I don't currently use a Smart Phone, so perhaps I'm unfamiliar with all of the features offered by other manufacturers. I have an LG Chocolate, and my friend has a Blackberry, so I've done some side-by-side comparisons of those 3 phones. It seems to me that there are 2 areas where the Blackberry wins: typing e-mails (it's "real" keyboard is easier to use than the virtual keyboard on the iPhone) and call quality (my Chocolate also has better voice quality than the iPhone). For the tasks of surfing the web, viewing pictures and movies, browsing and listening to music, and managing contacts, I feel the iPhone wins hands down. The Youtube and Google Maps integration is also very, very nice, and a good differentiator for the iPhone.

I do agree that the forthcoming 3rd party app support will be cool (I'll be sticking with "authorized" apps).
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 10:23 AM   #33
RobLS
Major
Rep

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/16/...ens-june-19th/ There you go you aussies. Drop by it and see how it is. It looks nice from outside, maybe snap a few good pics with your 1 outside of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 03:28 PM   #34
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

I've been to the Apple Store in New York, it's pretty cool. Good to surf the internet and tinker with all the overpriced white kitchen appliances
Appreciate 0