BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-15-2008, 03:04 AM   #45
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xa-coupe View Post
170 is about what I expected and for a little car, that's fantastic.
Dynos are a tuning tool, they aren't a definitive measure but it is fun to compare figures.
Exactly...they are for tuning and comparison..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 03:07 AM   #46
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauno View Post
Yep nice solid results doesn't mean much though as has been said but will be a good base figure to work off for future mods.

Id like to know does anybody have a link to some good information on the engine like has it got forged pistons etc etc. I already no that the direct injection and close spacing between injector and spark is good news for higher boost applications. Only limiting factor will be the flow rating of the small turbos. Wonder when we'll see the first turbo swaps lol
Have you looked under the bonnet? I don't think there is room for a replacement turbo!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 04:18 AM   #47
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

Smile

Quote:
Yep nice solid results doesn't mean much though as has been said but will be a good base figure to work off for future mods.

Id like to know does anybody have a link to some good information on the engine like has it got forged pistons etc etc. I already no that the direct injection and close spacing between injector and spark is good news for higher boost applications. Only limiting factor will be the flow rating of the small turbos. Wonder when we'll see the first turbo swaps lol
Perhaps this link will help you..

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38856
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 05:22 AM   #48
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Wraith, don't read into the results too much. Like I said, dyno's vary so much it's not funny. Our operator asked us what figured we wanted at the wheels - he could easily give us 200kw atw if we wanted - it's all in the dyno setup and operator.

I'm sure if we took our car around the corner to another dyno we might see a completely different result.

I'll post dyno charts of my stock car when I do a chip tune - as that's when the charts will be useful.

FYI though, AFR starts out at about 14.4 and drops all the way to around 12.6 when the car is doing around 6800rpm or 180km/hr. Car is putting out on this dyno, around 165 to 170kw, 12.6 AFR @ 6800rpm. Torque is 400NM
Thanks for the extra info Kris :smile:

And yes, I'm all to well aware dyno numbers can be fudged...these seem to be on the money though :wink: AFR readings are a little rich, but it's on the safer side rather than being a little too lean...

I must say I'm absolutely impressed by the torque - 400nm ATW's - that's AWESOME as it's meant to have 400nm at the flywheel !!!

Little wonder why these things go as well as they do and little wonder to the torque numbers I'm seeing with mods being as high as 570nm ATW's...

I think BMW have played down the power output numbers of N54 powered cars so as not to upstage their more expensive stable mates, including those with M badges...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 05:55 AM   #49
shauno
Rep
Drives:

ATW torque numbers don't relate to flywheel as they are multiplied by the gearbox and diff.

Dyno dynamics dynos have a setting called shoot out mode which basically is a standardised setup that other operators use to get a generalised power figure. This can be used to compare with other power figures with the same setup. Car for car in the same gear will give compareable readouts.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 06:00 AM   #50
shauno
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post

Cheers :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 06:04 AM   #51
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Thanks for the extra info Kris :smile:

And yes, I'm all to well aware dyno numbers can be fudged...these seem to be on the money though :wink: AFR readings are a little rich, but it's on the safer side rather than being a little too lean...

I must say I'm absolutely impressed by the torque - 400nm ATW's - that's AWESOME as it's meant to have 400nm at the flywheel !!!

Little wonder why these things go as well as they do and little wonder to the torque numbers I'm seeing with mods being as high as 570nm ATW's...

I think BMW have played down the power output numbers of N54 powered cars so as not to upstage their more expensive stable mates, including those with M badges...
My pleasure! Yep 400NM at the wheels - I saw it for my own eyes. Hopefully the dyno operator will send us the txt files and screenshots which details far more info then the curves...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 06:22 AM   #52
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

An AFR of 12.6 sounds perfect actually! Well that said, I am assuming that stoichiometric ratio for the fuel is 14.7.

For most high performance tunes (where you give a rolling two finger salute to the environment) aim for a lambda value of somewhere between 0.87 - 0.92. So for a 14.7 ratio, best performance would be achieved with an AFR between 12.7 - 13.5.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 06:53 AM   #53
shauno
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieRacer View Post
An AFR of 12.6 sounds perfect actually! Well that said, I am assuming that stoichiometric ratio for the fuel is 14.7.

For most high performance tunes (where you give a rolling two finger salute to the environment) aim for a lambda value of somewhere between 0.87 - 0.92. So for a 14.7 ratio, best performance would be achieved with an AFR between 12.7 - 13.5.
I think with direct injection you can safely go leaner then what is generally regarded as on the risky side for detonation
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2008, 08:33 PM   #54
Wraith
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I think with direct injection you can safely go leaner then what is generally regarded as on the risky side for detonation
Most definitely...

An AFR of 11.0 is what I would consider optimum for a modern DI force inducted engine, but as stated keeping it a little rich is a safegaurd, so no complaints :smile:
Appreciate 0