BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-04-2015, 10:30 PM   #1
SixBanger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

issues and post clutch install issue

hey guys,
Last month I had my clutch swapped out for a new one (f10 and ebay DMFW). I had this noise whenever I pulled out my clutch from a dead stop, with or without gas to launch the car from a dead stop. Yeah, I know, I'm not the greatest driver. AFter the clutch install it went away for about 3 weeks and now it's back. Attached to this post are some samples of the noise.

I'm not happy about the suspension (steering) and throttle acceleration. Is it due from my PPK1 flash? All I've done to the suspension is add a m front sway bar and place Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on the car. The car feels and handles ok when its cold, weird I know. What can I do? Car has 88k on it. I hate to say this but I hate to drive it every now and then.
Attached Files
File Type: zip New Recording 5 (2).zip (59.4 KB, 89 views)
File Type: zip New Recording 6.zip (71.2 KB, 93 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 11:12 PM   #2
SixBanger
Captain
Rep

bump
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 02:27 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

What parts did you replace when you did your clutch? I hope you replaced your clutch release bearing. It sounds like the grease is no longer on it and its making noise. You did not drive thru some high standing water recently? Doing so can also allow water into the clutch area and wash away the grease from the clutch release bearing.

Make a video(with audio) and post it on YouTube. That is the easiest way for us to listen to your noise. I couldn't open your files.

You need to give us more info about how your suspension handles. Its hard to help you when you say your not happy with it. Same for your tune or DME level.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2015, 02:27 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

What parts did you replace when you did your clutch? I hope you replaced your clutch release bearing. It sounds like the grease is no longer on it and its making noise. You did not drive thru some high standing water recently? Doing so can also allow water into the clutch area and wash away the grease from the clutch release bearing.

Make a video(with audio) and post it on YouTube. That is the easiest way for us to listen to your noise. I couldn't open your files.

You need to give us more info about how your suspension handles. Its hard to help you when you say your not happy with it. Same for your tune or DME level.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 10:07 PM   #5
SixBanger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

Dackel
I replaced the clutch, throw-out bearin, pressure plate and ebay flywheel. Small parts were the flywheel bolts and gaskets. Dealership said some gaskets had to be replaced so I had them replace them.

Its funny you say that about high water and the grease. It rains in South Florida almost everyday and the parking lot where I park gets backed up really bad. I did get stuck one day after work but I dont think the car got any water, because I wouldve hydrolocked. I will bring it to my dealer for sure and act stupid.

My suspension is stock except for the front M sway bar and rear sub frame bushings. I also have Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The car is very floatie, sways and the steering isn't direct like I'd want it to be.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 05:34 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post

Its funny you say that about high water and the grease. It rains in South Florida almost everyday and the parking lot where I park gets backed up really bad. I did get stuck one day after work but I dont think the car got any water, because I would've hydro-locked. I will bring it to my dealer for sure and act stupid.
No.

The water level only has to be high enough to get to the clutch release arm & throw out bearing. The engine's air intake is a lot higher than the clutch area. So it sounds like this was the cause of your clutch's death.

When they go back in - they will know for sure bc there will be rust everywhere along the clutch bearing and release arm.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 12:37 PM   #7
i_love_cars
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6mt

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
yeah if you look under the car, there are decently sized openings at the bottom of where the bell housing for the transmission bolts up to the engine block. There are several reasons for this, one being the ability to assess a rear main seal leak without having to tear the car apart. That's only several inches off the ground. So if you were sitting in any sort of body of water that is 6-8" high, you're going to have that body of water making contact with your release arm/bearing, flywheel, etc.

It isn't a sealed chamber, is what I'm trying to say.
      08-14-2015, 04:46 PM   #8
SixBanger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
No.

The water level only has to be high enough to get to the clutch release arm & throw out bearing. The engine's air intake is a lot higher than the clutch area. So it sounds like this was the cause of your clutch's death.

When they go back in - they will know for sure bc there will be rust everywhere along the clutch bearing and release arm.

Dackel
I spoke to my Service Advisor yesterday and he said if the throw out bearing is causing trouble we can fix the issue, because the new clutch that was installed back in July still has a warranty on it. We'll see what happens.
Appreciate 1