BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

03-25-2008, 09:24 AM   #67
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

I'll chime in! I'm not gonna say I'm for or against street racing though...I'm just gonna add my .02. When racing on or off a track...a little common sense goes a long way. and yes, I realize I am merely stating the obvious
      03-30-2008, 01:57 AM   #68
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

It's good to be honest about how we will drive this car. There will be many moments when we will test the car's abilities with a little challenge here and there.

Let's face it... The 135i is a car that could easily seduce it's driver into having a little irresponsible fun once in a while. The temptation will be plentiful. The question is what will all of us do when tempted? Will we ever face a challenge at a red light? Will we give in to blowing the doors off of a challenging vehicle? The 135i will always be begging us for more. What will we do when challenged?
      03-30-2008, 10:25 AM   #69
brakefade
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaMind View Post
The mods moved a thread with "race" in the title to the track/autocross/dragstrip/performance driving forum. How is that burying the thread?
I hope the admins/mods discuss this a bit further. Ignoring that some owners will engage in street racing will not discourage it at all...and it means over-moderating to stamp-out street racing threads. I always shake my head at forums that refuse to allow kill stories because they think they are discouraging street racing.

And dispite that some folks think it's dump/dangerous/not worthy...it's going to happen and some folks enjoy that activity.

BUT...track/autocross folks generally don't like kill or drag racing threads in their forums.

Bimmerforums is a good model...they have a place for kill stories, and a separate place "organized" racing. Although, I'd recommend having an "Track/Autocross" forum and a "Drag Racing/Street Encounters" forum. Give everyone someplace to post what interests them. :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2008, 09:46 PM   #70
To Sink Or Swim
Bringin the VAG
Rep
Drives: VW MKV GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebuzzsaw View Post
LoL, I'm 20 in college. I think my mind is skewed because one of my close friend died street racing at UCI in his M3. I could've stopped him from street racing, but I didn't want to sound like a "parent." I now live my live in regret.

The road curved and the guy got too close to him and "pit maneuvered" him by accident. My friend's M3 flipped and he died 4 hrs later. Yes, that was drivers errors, but his life could have been saved if he opted out of street racing. In the end, if he survived and won.. what has he gained? A boosted ego? He gained nothing. RIP 2006.

Once you know or witness someone dying because of street racing, you open up your eyes. Be safe out there.
damn im sorry bro.
i was in a near death experience one week from tonight. We were on this crazy back road in the tampa area. there was s turns that were tight. then 2 mile straightaways. We were in my friends vw gti vr6. We were on a straight away going 115 and we saw a turn ahead and it came to quickly. We hit it at 80 roughly and we would have been fine but he braked in the apex of the curve and we lost total control and flew off the road and almost wrapped around a pole. Im young and that opened my eyes. I could never drive like that after that night. i dont oppose "fun" off a red light if its safe out and you keep it under 100 but after 100 its just crazy.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 06:54 PM   #71
Aries932
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebuzzsaw View Post
There is a reason why street racing is ILLEGAL. It's endangers the lives of other people driving, yourself, people walking on the street and so fourth. There's no such thing as "safe" street racing. You guys need to grow up and consider the danger you put everyone else in. You prove NOTHING when street racing other than the fact you are "cool." I just hope you don't hit and kill me when you lose control of your car at 100mph on the freeway.

Keep it on the track, that's is what it's for.
Ok, that is the greatest misconception of why any laws are put into place...the reason why it is illegal is not because every single person cannot do it safely. It is because it just takes one person who thinks they know how to drive to kill themselves or someone else (note how i did not say family for all you idiots going for the sympathy plee)...

anyways my point being is the law does not say that street racing is unsafe...it is there because it is in place for the good of society. It is making a statement that there are people that take things too far and that is what puts people's life in danger...

There is nothing wrong with putting two cars on either end of a road and making sure no cars are coming and then racing.

So please guys no more strict generalizations
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 07:17 PM   #72
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries932 View Post
Ok, that is the greatest misconception of why any laws are put into place...the reason why it is illegal is not because every single person cannot do it safely. It is because it just takes one person who thinks they know how to drive to kill themselves or someone else (note how i did not say family for all you idiots going for the sympathy plee)...
No matter how you spin it, street racing is POINTLESS. What exactly do you have to prove by doing it? Please don't just say "It's fun" or "I want to see what the car can do"
Quote:
anyways my point being is the law does not say that street racing is unsafe...it is there because it is in place for the good of society. It is making a statement that there are people that take things too far and that is what puts people's life in danger...
Street racing IS unsafe. You cannot deny the amount of deaths caused by street racing. If you try to ignore the statistics then you're not looking at both sides of the argument. What happens when you're doing 90 on some back road and your tire blows out? No, I'm not just saying that's the only dangerous thing that could happen. There are a MULTITUDE of factors that could go wrong and end up in someone dying or being seriously injured. Just because someone has watched the Fast and the Furious box set doesn't mean they can street race. Some will say they know how to drive and can "handle" street racing. The truth is, if they REALLY knew how to drive, they wouldn't be racing illegally.[/quote]
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with putting two cars on either end of a road and making sure no cars are coming and then racing.
I don't even know where to start with this one. Speeding tickets, car getting impounded, trip to jail, massive fines, loss of license, insurance rates being hiked, someone getting hurt, criminal record.

I didn't not intend to take this out on you, however I think a lot of people on here are being ignorant. There's NOTHING to gain by racing on the streets. There IS no positive. If you want to prove something or actually RACE then take it to a track. Whether it be a drag strip or an auto cross track.

I always see people bragging about what car they beat from a roll, or from light to light. The truth is, if you really wanted to brag about something, take it to a place where everything is fair and designed to be a competition.

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 07:42 PM   #73
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneSkippy View Post
No matter how you spin it, street racing is POINTLESS. What exactly do you have to prove by doing it? Please don't just say "It's fun" or "I want to see what the car can do"

Street racing IS unsafe. You cannot deny the amount of deaths caused by street racing. If you try to ignore the statistics then you're not looking at both sides of the argument. What happens when you're doing 90 on some back road and your tire blows out? No, I'm not just saying that's the only dangerous thing that could happen. There are a MULTITUDE of factors that could go wrong and end up in someone dying or being seriously injured. Just because someone has watched the Fast and the Furious box set doesn't mean they can street race. Some will say they know how to drive and can "handle" street racing. The truth is, if they REALLY knew how to drive, they wouldn't be racing illegally.

I don't even know where to start with this one. Speeding tickets, car getting impounded, trip to jail, massive fines, loss of license, insurance rates being hiked, someone getting hurt, criminal record.

I didn't not intend to take this out on you, however I think a lot of people on here are being ignorant. There's NOTHING to gain by racing on the streets. There IS no positive. If you want to prove something or actually RACE then take it to a track. Whether it be a drag strip or an auto cross track.

I always see people bragging about what car they beat from a roll, or from light to light. The truth is, if you really wanted to brag about something, take it to a place where everything is fair and designed to be a competition.
Perfect. Well said.

At a BMW 1'er drive event I attended yesterday I over heard some clown talking about how his son raced his 330ci against his friends M3 from the West Side of Vancouver to Downtown and how surprised the friend was that the 330 could keep up. When I asked the dad if he realized how dangerous that was he says "they do it all the time, they know what they are doing".
The stupid F*#k was actually proud of the kid. I wonder how proud he'll be if he has to bury his son one day.
The fact that the slower car could keep up on city streets meant nothing more than the 330 driver took more chances and/or was just plain lucky.
Take it to the track if you wanna prove something.

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 08:05 PM   #74
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringinthewolf View Post
Perfect. Well said.

At a BMW 1'er drive event I attended yesterday I over heard some clown talking about how his son raced his 330ci against his friends M3 from the West Side of Vancouver to Downtown and how surprised the friend was that the 330 could keep up. When I asked the dad if he realized how dangerous that was he says "they do it all the time, they know what they are doing".
The stupid F*#k was actually proud of the kid. I wonder how proud he'll be if he has to bury his son one day.
The fact that the slower car could keep up on city streets meant nothing more than the 330 driver took more chances and/or was just plain lucky.
Take it to the track if you wanna prove something.
That's horrible, that dad clearly doesn't care about the potential for his kid to get seriously injured. Sounds like Hulk and Nick Hogan

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 08:15 PM   #75
bmwzone
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black 5.0 (ordered), 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
I'll keep it under 120mph. Budgeted a 2-3 tickets / yr.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 08:41 PM   #76
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TagMan View Post
It's good to be honest about how we will drive this car. There will be many moments when we will test the car's abilities with a little challenge here and there.

Let's face it... The 135i is a car that could easily seduce it's driver into having a little irresponsible fun once in a while. The temptation will be plentiful. The question is what will all of us do when tempted? Will we ever face a challenge at a red light? Will we give in to blowing the doors off of a challenging vehicle? The 135i will always be begging us for more. What will we do when challenged?
I can be honest that I may do some right foot exercise only alone and where conditions permit, but I would never zip in and out of traffic, or engage in anything that would force me to race anybody... especially through an area that I don't know what or who is ahead of me.

I do track events (DEs), carting, and run (and instruct) the chapter's autox series for my high performance fix, where I learn what my car, and more importantly, I am capable of. This is done in a safe environment, while I better my driving skills, in case I do happen to need to do emergency maneuvers off the track. I know I'm a much safer driver because of that, and I learn something new every event.

I had a friend (good friend at the time) who got a 12 year sentence with no chance for parole for manslaughter, due to killing somebody behind the wheel of his car in a high speed crash in New Hampshire. I don't know if the punishment was nearly enough. If I were the victim's family, I would be convinced it was not nearly enough. He got out a few years ago... Street racers are potential killers; either themselves or some innocent person(s) who just happen to be going about their way.

I think we've gotten to the point where there are stories in here that might encourage (even one person) somebody to street race. This site cannot condone that. I'm closing this, and ask that there not be any "kill stories" posted here.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread