BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Yesterday, 04:18 PM   #8031
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

I believe MotorIQ has a time attack Model3 and it can only do 1 lap at full power. That's what happens when you power cars with electric women's toys.
      Yesterday, 04:37 PM   #8032
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
I still find it difficult to understand why one would choose a battery electric sporty car over an ICE equivalent, you know, a car that you may not be driving every day to walmart every time you run out of condoms. But okay, Cammisa, if a little controversial in his opinions*, can drive and he's a respected person in this regard.

*emphasis on opinions...
I think he was spot on when he said he would rather have an EV than a 4 cylinder turbo ICE vehicle with an automatic transmission and fake engine noise... or something along those lines.

Most modern "sports sedans" do absolutely nothing for me from a driving enthusiast perspective. Give me a naturally aspirated, 2 seater with a manual transmission and a loud exhaust or give me a fucking EV. That's basically where I'm at these days.
Appreciate 1
TboneS541043.00
      Yesterday, 06:19 PM   #8033
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, G22 M440, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
I believe MotorIQ has a time attack Model3 and it can only do 1 lap at full power. That's what happens when you power cars with electric women's toys.
I also wonder what kind of side effects will do to multiple times fast charging and fast discharge on the battery for a track day.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:24 PM   #8034
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I think he was spot on when he said he would rather have an EV than a 4 cylinder turbo ICE vehicle with an automatic transmission and fake engine noise... or something along those lines.

Most modern "sports sedans" do absolutely nothing for me from a driving enthusiast perspective. Give me a naturally aspirated, 2 seater with a manual transmission and a loud exhaust or give me a fucking EV. That's basically where I'm at these days.
When I drove my first EV, I quickly realized that while being an automatic, because the torque curve is essentially flat, it is always in the correct "gear". EV are really just one-speed manuals. I'm a die hard manual transmission guy, but if forced, I could live with a single-speed EV. I say "forced" because the battery-power architecture just sucks and is stupid because of limited range, long recharge cycle and weight. Fix the battery (by using an ICE-generator), then I'm on it like stink on poop.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:05 PM   #8035
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenebmw View Post
I also wonder what kind of side effects will do to multiple times fast charging and fast discharge on the battery for a track day.
Battery wears down fast. And there is an issue I don’t hear anyone talk about - the harmful EMF radiation these cars give off. 5G is bad - but these cars are literally a tower under you seat.

We are talking lower sperm count, headaches, cancer or worse.
      Yesterday, 09:06 PM   #8036
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
When I drove my first EV, I quickly realized that while being an automatic, because the torque curve is essentially flat, it is always in the correct "gear". EV are really just one-speed manuals. I'm a die hard manual transmission guy, but if forced, I could live with a single-speed EV. I say "forced" because the battery-power architecture just sucks and is stupid because of limited range, long recharge cycle and weight. Fix the battery (by using an ICE-generator), then I'm on it like stink on poop.
The correct answer is to use smaller motors with gearing and find a way to turn gasoline or oil directly into energy without burning it.

Could also do a nuclear powered car- since that radiation isn’t really a thing.
      Yesterday, 10:36 PM   #8037
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Battery wears down fast. And there is an issue I don’t hear anyone talk about - the harmful EMF radiation these cars give off. 5G is bad - but these cars are literally a tower under you seat.

We are talking lower sperm count, headaches, cancer or worse.
Paranoid much? A hyundai EV ran with us all day at autoX last weekend.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:20 PM   #8038
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post

Well, I've got an F80 alongside a diesel G21 and I also don't really crave an G80 or the new C 63. I've driven all kinds of G8x cars and they've left me cold... so I kind of understand. Zero desire.

But, for me, still BEV = daily commuter only