BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-03-2022, 08:38 PM   #1
Chris97277
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i

Angry E82 Rear Disc Wont Come Off!

I am pretty frustrated by now on this, but I am simply just trying to change my rear brake rotors and pads on my e82 but my rear brake rotor does not want to come off! The calipers are off and the rotor screw is already off. When I put down the ebrake, the rotor only moves about a half inch to the right and left and does not budge forward or back. Of course when I put up the ebrake the rotor does not move. I’ve already tried messing with the little mechanism next to the spring inside the rotor but have had no luck. Any ideas on what else I can try? I do not want to keep on hammering away at the rotor because I dont think its stuck because if it was then the rotor would be fully spinning. I think I am missing something to get this rotor off.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 10:17 AM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

You should be able to freely rotate the brake disc with the parking brake off.

Your parking brake shoes may have wear away at the parking drum enough to create a groove keeping you from pulling the brake disc off. You can try adjust the parking brake to fully retract the parking brake shoes.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 12:48 PM   #3
ch4ch
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 Series

My rear rotors would not come off. I tried different tools and hammers. However, a 4 foot piece of 4"x4" timber did the trick. It was like a battering ram and the rotor came right off. 😅
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 11:02 AM   #4
acediac
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M, F30 330i

I also struggled to get my rear rotors off... until I realized the parking brake was on
Appreciate 0