02-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

What shocks- 1M with H& springs

Hello,
I have a 1M with H&R springs and after about 20k miles on the stock shocks I feel that they are going. It wanders a little bit in high speed compressions and small bumps have little shock absorption, it feels the chassis is doing most of it instead of dampers.
So I'm looking for advice, do I get aftermarket shocks, if so which? With no research I'm thinking koni DA's. The other thought is just get used coilovers and sell the springs, it seems I can get used KW V3's for sub 2k all day in M3 fitment, are these springs to hard to be ideal? Input from anyone with experience with these springs or track guys?

Background: I have added lots of power to the car so would love a setup that adds traction at the back. It's my DD so nothing track only, but I don't mind a bit stiff, I track the car a couple of times a year and whatever chosen needs to have a meaningful improvement at the track.

A member was selling AST 4000's I believe, rear only, on here and I was thinking about picking those up and adding something else like koni DA's to the front but I also feel like I might just be better off with a matching set of shocks? I'm open to ideas, but having never had an adjustable suspension before, I'm a bit lost, help me make the right choices!

Last edited by SpencerMH; 02-10-2014 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: Title had spelling error
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

If I were you I would scrap the springs and go with a coilover setup. The V3 would be a fine setup for most peoples needs. They are more geared for a street setup than track. Many have been satisfied with the V3, others not so much. Really depends on your intended use. I personally wouldn't buy a set that was made for the M3 as their spring rates are different. Alternatively, you could purchase a used setup and add linear springs from Swift to tune them more appropriately for the 1M. Also, I think you should be able to get brand new V3s for close to $2000. I think running two different dampers front/rear would create a nightmare when trying to get everything setup the way you want it.

My plan, for what it is worth, is to wait until I can justify one of the higher end single adjustable coilover setups such as the Ohlins Road and Track or the JRZ RS1. The JRZs can be bought as just a damper if you are interested in utilizing your H&R springs. From what I have read, these two offer a great track setup while retaining a certain level of comfort on the street (many report BETTER comfort on the street with these setups compared to OE).
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I assumed that would be the case on mixing dampers, but as adjustable I also thought it would likely just mean I couldn't ask forums for advice and use their settings, I would have to come up with my own settings that work; but I'll scrap that idea as I have no experience tuning shock settings.

I'm still curious if a $2,000 coilover such as the KW's are superior to a good DA shock and the H&R springs and if so why? I don't really need corner balancing and am happy with the ride height. Those shock suggestions are all in a bit higher price range I believe, but are Koni DA's or bilsteins just not competitive anymore? Are the H&R springs junk compared to a linear spring on coilover? Sorry for the broad range of questions but having the springs, the easiest is to just get a set of shocks that match them well and can be adjusted to be a bit stiffer for track days, but if the end result will be inferior to a rather inexpensive coilover system than I should just make the jump?
      02-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #4
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMH View Post
I assumed that would be the case on mixing dampers, but as adjustable I also thought it would likely just mean I couldn't ask forums for advice and use their settings, I would have to come up with my own settings that work; but I'll scrap that idea as I have no experience tuning shock settings.

I'm still curious if a $2,000 coilover such as the KW's are superior to a good DA shock and the H&R springs and if so why? I don't really need corner balancing and am happy with the ride height. Those shock suggestions are all in a bit higher price range I believe, but are Koni DA's or bilsteins just not competitive anymore? Are the H&R springs junk compared to a linear spring on coilover? Sorry for the broad range of questions but having the springs, the easiest is to just get a set of shocks that match them well and can be adjusted to be a bit stiffer for track days, but if the end result will be inferior to a rather inexpensive coilover system than I should just make the jump?

I rather doubt that the OEM setup is failing at this point.. it is probably far more likely you have made things slightly worse by using springs alone. Keep in mind that if your " HUGE TIRES" are of a different height than OEM, that they also can be affecting your ride quality negatively as well.

You should go with a matched system of shocks and springs... your choice on whether or not they are coilover or not. Since you have springs.. yes.. you could add replce the OEM shocks and try and dial things in from there. To answer your question.... yes... good adjustable shock like a KONI shock should be able to work with your H and R springs.

A coilover setup is certainly nicer than springs and shocks alone.. and of course one of the primary advantages of a coiliver setup is that typically the dampers and springs ARE a matched set and of course height is adjustable. I have seen KW mentioned a lot recently... with a lot of mixed reviews. Personally, I am not impressed with KW basic models, although I have heard the V3 is better... I would probably look for a better quality setup than KW overall.... It sounds like you are probably thinking... wouldnt a hig quality damper with the current H and R springs be better than a low quality entry level coilover setup... and I agree in that I that think the answer is yes.

Since you are not racing, I would say a high quality Single adjustable shock is all you need.. and of course you can also go double adjustable if you want a small amount of overkill or " future proofing" should you decide to do more with the car later. Keep in mind that more knobs to turn can help... but can also hurt as well. It's going to take a fair amount of experimentation with settings to get the setup tuned for varied conditions... and if you don't take a very methodical approach then you can easily go backwards before forwards by just making indiscriminate adjustments.

After taking a quick look... I concur with Lcrain.. perhaps the JRZ RS-1 would really be a good option with your current springs. In the past, I have used AST, and have been very happy with the RIDE QUALITY from those shocks/struts. The ride can be adjusted from CADILLAC smooth to RACE CAR firm.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 02-13-2014 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 07:25 PM   #5
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Great response, thank you, that's exactly what I was trying to assess; am I better with a cheaper coilover setup without a progressive spring setup or investing nearly as much as the coilovers in just shocks and accept the ride height which I'll be happy with anywhere near where it is now. That's the front running option now, and the last time I was in the market was years back, then it was common to buy springs and high quality shocks, I think the availability of cheap coilovers has everyone passing on that option from my searches. I say that it seems the stick shocks are failing because as time had passed bumps are more abrupt on compression and it feels the chassis is absorbing it vs the shocks and it seems to float a bit more after a bump. In my limited knowledge it seemed that the dampers were overworked by the springs and more so than the past.

Thanks for the answers, too much info out there to sift through before I would've figured anything out.