BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-02-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Exclamation Shipping to Australia: A Fact Sheet

Information about Customs, GST, Duties and shipping to Australia contained herewith.

General Rule of Thumb
The rule of thumb to follow when ordering parts/items from overseas is that if you pay less than $1000AUD (the Customs Value - CV)) for the items exclusive of shipping, you will not pay duty and GST.

If your items are over $1000AUD, then you may be subject to GST and duty. Some members have received items that have been valued over $1000AUD and have not paid GST or duty; it is the luck of the draw. However, you are more than likely going to be stung with GST and duty.

Calculation of Value
Australian Customs may calculate the value of your items using a number of methods. Usually, you will not have to worry about any of the methods as your parts will usually contain an invoice with the amount that you paid for it from the vendor. This will suffice for Customs.

Internal and External Shipping
The exception to the general rule of thumb is shipping. Any costs associated with transport from the vendor to Australian shores is not included in the valuation of goods.

However, costs associated with transport inside Australia are included in the valuation of goods. The costs won't be much, but if you are edging towards $1000AUD then one of the following procedures may save you a large amount of money.

Splitting Shipments and Multiple Shipments
Some people think that it may be worth splitting shipments (ie: four tyres in two separate packages). You should be aware that Customs will combine packages sent from the same vendor to the same addressee and calculate them as one package.

One technique to get around this is to have the vendor list your business as the recipient as one, and your home as the recipient of the other. Customs may also check the name and vendor, but they are unable to combine the packages and treat them as one as Duty laws require the addressee and the vendor to be the same.

All you are doing here is avoiding the 'gotcha' clause that Customs have by having two different addresses.

Example of Duty - How is Duty and GST Calculated?

The Import Duty for your goods is calculated as a percentage of the price you paid for goods (CV). While some rates differ (tobacco, liquor etc.), the majority of goods attract a 5% duty rate.

Then, GST is calculated at 10% (normal rate) of the Value of the Taxable Import (VoTI). The VoTI is calculated by the addition of the Customs Value (CV) PLUS the Duty PLUS the value of the International Transport and Insurance (T&I).

An example of how the duty and GST is calculated on goods valued at AUD$1,500 which attract a 5% duty rate would be:

If the Customs value (CV) of your tyres = $1,500.00
Then the Customs Duty @ 5% of the $1,500 (CV) = $75.00 (Payable)
Assuming the international transport and insurance (T&I) = $125.00
Then the VoTI = (CV) + Duty + (T&I) = $1,700.00
GST = 10% of the VoTI = 10% x $1,700 = $170.00 (Payable)
Therefore the Total Duty plus GST payable = $245.00

Links
For more information on all this stuff:

Customs FAQ on Importing: http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re...sbypostfaq.pdf

Detailed Customs info on Importing: http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5549.asp
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #2
Orlin
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Some very useful info there nice work Tay, Someone sticky this bad boy!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 11:30 PM   #3
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Well done. Now for the mods to sticky it...

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #4
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlin View Post
Some very useful info there nice work Tay, Someone sticky this bad boy!
Let me sticky your avatar!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 11:44 PM   #5
Orlin
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
Let me sticky your avatar!
my avatar is already sticky enough
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 12:57 AM   #6
Hawkeye 135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Great work Tay. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 01:31 AM   #7
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

Good work Taymaishu!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 01:34 AM   #8
Alpha Trion
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Convertible

Great work!

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 01:53 AM   #9
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

There should not be duty on some items where we have a free trade agreement I.e car parts made in the USA
Vishnu PROcede V5 | VK Motorworks FMIC | AR Design OCC | Forge DV's | Bilstein PSS9 | M3 Lower Control Arms & Caster Rods | Quaife LSD | HiTech Exhaust | BMW Performance Illuminated Door Sills | BMW Performance Gear Selector & Boot | BMW Performance E-Brake Cover
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 01:54 AM   #10
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Good stuff Tay. Mods sticky this.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 02:01 AM   #11
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

Don't let Mr Harvey or other retailers see this.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 02:41 AM   #12
Dec540
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Nice write up. You might also want to include details about Vendor to Dock or Airport shipping. It doesn't include clearance, holding or processing fees so you get stung hardcore. Most people think that Vendor to Airport/Dock shipping simply means they need to go pick it up but it means far more than this.

Your always best off getting door to door shipping to avoid any nasty fees.

I don't know if i got ripped off but when i ordered my wheels i paid 900 US plus 400 postage. I distinctly remember that 900US at the time was just under 1000AUD. I ended up paying all my fees on 1300US converted to AUD. Maybe i was just unlucky that i didn't know the right laws back then and just paid the 400 fkn dollars to release the goods
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 04:23 AM   #13
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOPALX View Post
There should not be duty on some items where we have a free trade agreement I.e car parts made in the USA
Good point.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #14
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Stickied.
      06-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #15
Orlin
Major
Australia
Rep

Thanks BForbes!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2011, 02:23 AM   #16
130iWanted
Captain Slow
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive20D

Awesome work Tay! THANKS!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 09:20 AM   #17
CrustyNoodle
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

A bit off topic but maybe you guy's can give me a bit of advice for bringing my bike in from the UK?

UPS seem to be the best option price wise but they have a lot of options that can be added to their base service and I can't quite work out what I need and what I don't need.

These are the options:
  • Pickup - self explanatory means they pick it up.
  • Delivery - I presume this means delivered to my door
  • Customs Clearance - adds quite a bit to the price
  • Hold at Airport for pick up - It would be easier for me to pick it up than to try to be at home when they attempt a delivery.
  • Delivery Duties Paid
  • Delivery Duties Unpaid

My bike is currently at my Brothers house in London and it's value is about 3000 GBP (but would cost around $10k if I had to buy it here) so it's going to be well worth my while to get it here.

I've tried to call UPS to get them to explain it all but couldn't get on to anyone with a brain!

What do you think would happen if I were to tick the Delivery option but not the Customs Clearance? I would imagine that Delivery should include Customs Clearance otherwise how could they deliver it to my door?

Thoughts and suggestions??
      07-18-2011, 01:50 AM   #18
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle View Post
A bit off topic but maybe you guy's can give me a bit of advice for bringing my bike in from the UK?

UPS seem to be the best option price wise but they have a lot of options that can be added to their base service and I can't quite work out what I need and what I don't need.

These are the options:
  • Pickup - self explanatory means they pick it up.
  • Delivery - I presume this means delivered to my door
  • Customs Clearance - adds quite a bit to the price
  • Hold at Airport for pick up - It would be easier for me to pick it up than to try to be at home when they attempt a delivery.
  • Delivery Duties Paid
  • Delivery Duties Unpaid

My bike is currently at my Brothers house in London and it's value is about 3000 GBP (but would cost around $10k if I had to buy it here) so it's going to be well worth my while to get it here.

I've tried to call UPS to get them to explain it all but couldn't get on to anyone with a brain!

What do you think would happen if I were to tick the Delivery option but not the Customs Clearance? I would imagine that Delivery should include Customs Clearance otherwise how could they deliver it to my door?

Thoughts and suggestions??
If you don't do Customs Clearance you will have to pay the fee to a customs broker that UPS will choose.

I suggest for ease of transport and hassle (and possibly a few dollars by not involving yet another shipping partner), to get UPS to handle it all including clearance.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 08:06 AM   #19
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
Rep
Drives: bmw135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taymaishu View Post
If you don't do Customs Clearance you will have to pay the fee to a customs broker that UPS will choose.

I suggest for ease of transport and hassle (and possibly a few dollars by not involving yet another shipping partner), to get UPS to handle it all including clearance.
Nicely bumped - lol
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2011, 11:28 AM   #20
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by banglemangle View Post
Nicely bumped - lol
Very subtle

Doesn't need bumping I guess, guaranteed "top three"!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 01:08 AM   #21
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Just had this emailed to me;

"The government was planning to lower the GST importation threshold for overseas purchases from $1000 to $500 in October 2010, documents released under Freedom of Information (FOI) revealed.
These documents, obtained by lobby group the Fair Imports Alliance, indicated that the government was giving serious consideration to reducing the GST threshold on imports prior to the announcement of the Productivity Commission Inquiry. It showed that 1 July 2011 was nominated as the start date for a lower threshold and that Customs provided advice that a reduced threshold was administratively feasible.
Fair Imports Alliance spokesperson Brad Kitschke said the documents released under the FOI showed the Government went so far as to ask for advice from Customs and Treasury as to the earliest possible start date for a threshold reduction.
“The Government has always claimed a lower threshold would be administratively unfeasible but these documents reveal otherwise. They show that it could be done, that plans were in place to reduce the threshold and advice was sought as to the earliest possible start date,” he said.
“Now that we have proof a lower threshold is both administratively feasible and economically beneficial we eagerly await the Productivity Commission’s recommendations when its draft report is released in August.”
The Productivity Commission Inquiry is expected to release a draft report in August on the economic structure and performance of the retail industry, which is expected to cover issues regarding the GST-threshold.
RetailBiz July 21, 2011"
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2011, 03:22 AM   #22
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Just had this emailed to me;

"The government was planning to lower the GST importation threshold for overseas purchases from $1000 to $500 in October 2010, documents released under Freedom of Information (FOI) revealed.
These documents, obtained by lobby group the Fair Imports Alliance, indicated that the government was giving serious consideration to reducing the GST threshold on imports prior to the announcement of the Productivity Commission Inquiry. It showed that 1 July 2011 was nominated as the start date for a lower threshold and that Customs provided advice that a reduced threshold was administratively feasible.
Fair Imports Alliance spokesperson Brad Kitschke said the documents released under the FOI showed the Government went so far as to ask for advice from Customs and Treasury as to the earliest possible start date for a threshold reduction.
“The Government has always claimed a lower threshold would be administratively unfeasible but these documents reveal otherwise. They show that it could be done, that plans were in place to reduce the threshold and advice was sought as to the earliest possible start date,” he said.
“Now that we have proof a lower threshold is both administratively feasible and economically beneficial we eagerly await the Productivity Commission’s recommendations when its draft report is released in August.”
The Productivity Commission Inquiry is expected to release a draft report in August on the economic structure and performance of the retail industry, which is expected to cover issues regarding the GST-threshold.
RetailBiz July 21, 2011"
Appreciate 0