BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-06-2016, 11:19 AM   #1
ChillFill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport Coupé

Exclamation "Full Engine Power No Longer Available"

Hey all, I'm sure many of you have experienced the same gut-wrenching feeling of an unexpected dash warning symbol popping up (after all, we are BMW owners. A BMW without problems/faults in no BMW at all).

So I was on my way back from my doc appointment, approx 120 miles altogether. When merging onto I95, I accelerate and this funny symbol pops up:

(babybmw.net)

At first I thought, it might be a low tranny fluid notification. As it looked half filled. After looking it up:

"Fuel Engine Power No Longer Available", "You can continue your journey, but moderate your speed and exercise caution. Have engine checked ASAP."

You know, with the 1ers being famous for fuel injector problems, I panicked.. internally. After further research:

"This is a common problem with the petrol engines. The problem is down to a faulty Bosch Coil Pack. Indications that you may have this problem are:
Lack of power
Heavy engine vibration
Amber Engine warning light
Rough idle
Car goes into "limp mode"

BMW have released an 'enhancement pack' which BMW will fit for free most of the time. Take a trip to your local dealership and they'll arrange for this to be done. Eventually all four coil packs in the car will fail, so ensure BMW replace all four to prevent numerous trips to the dealership" (babybmw.net)

So is this just a coil problem? Anyone else ever experience this? Is it just a coil problem? I already had the water pump go out, so that's 1/2 of the "common" issues with these. Thanks all

Last edited by ChillFill; 07-06-2016 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 11:53 AM   #2
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillFill View Post
...I already had the water pump go out, so that's 1/2 of the "common" issues with these....
Don't forget to watch for the dreaded oil filter housing gasket to fail!
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 12:09 PM   #3
desertman123
E82 Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
1992 Honda Beat  [9.50]
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
2014 BMW 528i  [10.00]
Was your engine vibrating like hell? If so, probably a coil pack. Might even be spark plugs depending on the last time you changed those. I know the 135i has a spark plug interval of like 45k. If everything was still smooth, could it have been your hi pressure fuel pump?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 12:30 PM   #4
ChillFill
Private First Class
Rep

It was smooth, no noticeable change

What would be the symptoms of a hpfp acting up?

Though wouldn't a hpfp problem throw out a red symbol and automatically go into limp mode? As with the water pump.

Edit: I meant to put hpfp in the OP, got confused and wrote hp fuel injectors..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #5
ChillFill
Private First Class
Rep

There more I read into this the more frightened I become of the possibility it is a HPFP issue. Sure it can be a number of things, but as I know life, it's the HPFP..

If it is, I'm selling the car. As much as I love these cars they're no use if they keep breaking down every other day. Had my 1er since January, had to replace water pump maybe 3 or 4 months ago. BMW overall took a plunge in reliability in the late 00's. Never had a problem with my '04 325ci, heard many say the E46 was the last of the "reliable" BMWs.

I love BMWs, but I hate feeling paranoid in my own car. Being careful, "exercising caution" in a car that's meant to be driven vigorously.

Maybe I'd get a Subaru.. can't beat the reliability of the Japs.

Will bring a scanner back from work tomorrow, so I'll post the fault codes (Not that anyone cares ATM, but for future references for those that this will happen to, eventually).

EDIT: I've heard a recall was issued for the HPFP? Is it legitimate? Will BMW replace the HPFP? Or will they beat around the bush and give so bs excuse on why they cannot do it? Anyone deal with this before?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 07:21 PM   #6
SkullV
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
There more I read into this the more frightened I become of the possibility it is a HPFP issue. Sure it can be a number of things, but as I know life, it's the HPFP..

If it is, I'm selling the car. As much as I love these cars they're no use if they keep breaking down every other day. Had my 1er since January, had to replace water pump maybe 3 or 4 months ago. BMW overall took a plunge in reliability in the late 00's. Never had a problem with my '04 325ci, heard many say the E46 was the last of the "reliable" BMWs.

I love BMWs, but I hate feeling paranoid in my own car. Being careful, "exercising caution" in a car that's meant to be driven vigorously.

Will bring a scanner back from work tomorrow, so I'll post the fault codes (Not that anyone cares ATM, but for future references for those that this will happen to, eventually).

EDIT: I've heard a recall was issued for the HPFP? Is it legitimate? Will BMW replace the HPFP? Or will they beat around the bush and give so bs excuse on why they cannot do it? Anyone deal with this before?
I believe it is a warranty extension, not a recall on the HPFP. I believe your car would not be eligible due to the salvage title. Generally that voids any and all warranty regardless of the type of damage. Individual states may have different regulations on that front however.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 07:32 AM   #7
ChillFill
Private First Class
Rep

Yes it is unfortunate. That's why I was wondering if it is a recall
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 08:10 AM   #8
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Pull the BMW specific code. Otherwise this is all just conjecture. I use the Carly app on my iPhone w/ a wifi dongle. Easy as can be.

The code will tell you what it is most likely.

Your 08 is an n54 version motor. It has a few quirks but is not inherently unreliable. Did you have a walnut blast done? It's needed about every 45k on the n54 (or more often if your buying crap gas at the corner store). Spark Plugs are due at that mileage also. If you haven't replaced them then if they are old it wears the coil packs which are fairly expensive.

Performance cars require maintenance on schedule. Personally I change my oil more often than BMW recommends + stick with a regular maint schedule.

BMW reliability is really not different from other luxury/performance/sports car brands in its class. If you want a car with less maintenance & reliability, yes you can buy them. Drive a civic. But don't compare it to a BMW.

My 04 545i was the highest maintenance car I've ever owned. It was also the most fun to drive!! The e82 135i n55 is far more reliable and just as much fun imho.

Oh and Watch what you wish for. Some of the Subaru performance spec models have their own issues too....
      07-07-2016, 08:16 AM   #9
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

As Gankplank said, pull the code... The recall and extended warranty, btw, I believe was only for N54 models. You should probably put into your forum sig some info about your car so folks can deliver a more appropriate response.
      07-07-2016, 08:24 AM   #10
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullV
Quote:

I believe it is a warranty extension, not a recall on the HPFP. I believe your car would not be eligible due to the salvage title. Generally that voids any and all warranty regardless of the type of damage. Individual states may have different regulations on that front however.
How would a dealer know if a car has a salvaged title?

Check the code & if it's a HPFP or anything else that's under a warranty ask the dealer to cover it.
      07-08-2016, 12:10 AM   #11
ChillFill
Private First Class
Rep

The car has a "Florida Rebuilt Title" sticker on the inner drive door jam, plus I think they could see it when checking the vin.

Got a "Fuel Pump Plausibility" code, P2AAF. I cleared the code.

When the warning signal initially came on, it stayed on for a couple of minutes. Car ran fine, I stopped at my local pharmacy, waited there for about 40 min. Got back to my car, started fine, drove home fine. Though I have not driven it for a day now, honestly I'm paranoid of it breaking down on me, and having to call a tow truck..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 12:56 AM   #12
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Are you running a tune?

Seems it might be a phantom code or any of a few other issues.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672571

At 45k your n54 is due for plugs as probably a walnut blast. Just sayn. Don't expect it to run perfect if you lag on the maint.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 07:29 AM   #13
ChillFill
Private First Class
Rep

No I am not, gave up the idea of mods after my water pump incident.

Yes a walnut blast is definitely due

So do people get this code when their HPFP is about to go? Under the actual "Fuel Pump" section there were no fault codes. This one was under "drive".
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 08:01 AM   #14
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Did you see/read this part posted in that thread?

Suggests the code doesn't mean much by itself. Not sure why you got the warning message w/ out any other codes if you not running tuned. Have you been running hard/doing drag pulls?

Just clear it and see if it comes back or comes back w/ other codes.
Attached Images

07-08-2016, 05:19 PM   #15
Playnice
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i M Package

I'd actually clean off the mass airflow sensor and see if that helps. Obviously pulling a code would be your best bet, though.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 06:17 PM   #16
ChillFill
Private First Class
Rep

No I have not been running it hard at all, especially since I got the error.

But you know, it's a '35, the car literally begs for you to punch it. An occasional "yellow light" or slow driver is dealt with accordingly.

I also got a "low turbo pressure" fault along with it. But I did not think much of it, since when I was changing out my bad water pump from underneath (that was a bitch), I noticed one of the turbos was leaking a little bit. Which that in itself is a death warrant, though it's not something that will cause the car to break down immediately.

This definitely gave me more insight about newer BMWs. I don't think I'll ever buy one again without a warranty..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 09:20 PM   #17
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Sounds like the turbo may be going.

You can still buy a good aftermarket warranty. Can't u get one in a discount through your dads business?
Appreciate 0