bmwzone
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black 5.0 (ordered), 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
If you think that $50k is a lot try moving to another country! In Australia base 135i will set you back $72k. The M1 will end up being in the $100-$110k mark here! Our $ is 92US cents for crying out loud...

I am 28 and my car cost me $86k, we had a small 1 series meet last night and 5 out of the 7 that came were under 30... We work hard for our cars, but yes, we probably are on the higher income scale than most our age...
GOD BLESS AMERICA BABY
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #135
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Cars will hit the markets by mid 2011. Production will end possibly early 2013. [/i]
This would make it the shortest run for any M car ever.
      03-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #136
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
So that would be technically three model years, right?

What is the average for ///M cars? I would guess 4 or so, based on the typical 7 year lifecycle of most BMW models....

The last Z4 M Coupe was only three years, wasn't it? 07-09....
      03-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #137
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post

Thus why I am still quite the cynic here. I don't beleive it is really coming.

Answer me this.

If the intent is to draw younger customers to the M brand......Then why would you do that with an aging platform that will have only 2 years of production in its lifecycle? And why would you then start calling it a 1M (Scott's recent post) instead of a real M car name like M1.

I am a doubter....just does not fit with regard to timing and also with regard to BMW's current theme of greener more efficient vehicles.

Furthermore....why hasn't anyone yet done and IP address search on Scott's more recent posts to find out of there really are out of BMW Munich? So as to insure we don't have an impostor to the real Scott26.

Last edited by Mark M; 03-12-2010 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #138
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post

Answer me this.

If the intent is to draw younger customers to the M brand......Then why would you do that with an aging platform that will have only 2 years of production in its lifecycle? And why would you then start calling it a 1M (Scott's recent post) instead of a real M car name like M1.

I am a doubter....just does not fit with regard to timing and also with regard to BMW's current theme of greener more efficient vehicles.

Furthermore....why hasn't anyone yet done and IP address search on Scott's more recent posts to find out of there really are out of BMW Munich? So as to insure we don't have an impostor to the real Scott26.
So that the M1 might have history and so hemp the reputation of the next M1. Also this will be the first and the last M1 (not M1 Original) having an I6, as the next M1 will get I4.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #139
Amalfitano
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i STEP, Future //M2012

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Draw to the brand and buy the car are in fact two different things.

There are people that are in love with a Shelby GT, can't afford IT, then buy the mustang they can afford. Not saying it's smart but people do that.

whether 55,000 is too much (first off, he did not say that, he avoided quoting a price over base 135 for the us and simply referenced the market, which i took as all three the conversion rate at the time, the differences necessary to satisfy regulations in our market, and the sales point. Supply and Demand will shift from market to market, THEY KNOW THAT) in your opinion for other people to buy is i guess fun to speculate, but i doubt too many people on these forums are actually professionals in marketing or supply and demand.

The only real thing each of us can do is decide if we're buying the car or not.

I guess you can try to threaten BMW through Scott if you'd like...

IF i can't have this car in 2012 i won't buy it(?) I doubt that.

I'm buying this car so long as...

My situation doesn't change drastically
BMW finances at a rate better than 4% at the time i'm trying to purchase (otherwise i might try to wait for that deal to pop up)
and i don't have to buy entire packages for what i want.

I am most likely an exception to the rule (in a lot of ways), but the reason i didn't get an M3 is because i'd have to get the navigation system to get the premium audio. I'd love for them to have a minimalist's option as that's what i'll be doing. paying for metallic paint and upgraded audio and that's about it. I don't need power seats if that can be avoided, and the idea of wrapping carbon products into the MSRP is nice but not necessary. If the car ends up in the performance range speculated, i'll be holding onto this car for a long time, which means it doesn't need to be *LOADED* for resale value. So if these Carbon options seem too pricey i might opt to wait until the aftermarket catches up or can confirm the total weight savings.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #140
Beemer323
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30 330i, e39 530i ESS e61 M5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwzone View Post
GOD BLESS AMERICA BABY

Just dont ask what a 760Li starts at...prolly why BMW Aus rarely mention prices...

AU$364,000
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2010, 11:57 PM   #141
djspeed_330i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

What target market is BMW attempting to entice with the M1?

I'm a newbie, but I've been keeping up with the posts regarding the on again and off again discussions regarding the M1.

Many a board members have stated that BMW is attempting to attract a "younger" crowd with the proposed M1.

My question is this: What are these "target buyers" presently driving?

Its only reasonable to assume that BMW does not want to cannibalize sales from its own product line, so if potential M1 buyers are not presently driving Bimmers, then what are they driving?

Another way to put it is, what car(s) does BMW hope to steal market share from with the M1?

For better or worse, I can't think of too many sporty cars in this market price. The only car that comes to mind is a Porsche Boxter, with a base price of $47,600.

Any ideas?

Martin
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 01:36 AM   #142
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Quote:
GOD BLESS AMERICA BABY

Yes, thank you so much for screwing the world economy!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 01:46 AM   #143
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
^^^We can't help it if the rest of the world are lemmings ....LOL...J/k
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 04:22 AM   #144
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by djspeed_330i View Post
I'm a newbie, but I've been keeping up with the posts regarding the on again and off again discussions regarding the M1.

Many a board members have stated that BMW is attempting to attract a "younger" crowd with the proposed M1.

Its only reasonable to assume that BMW does not want to cannibalize sales from its own product line, so if potential M1 buyers are not presently driving Bimmers, then what are they driving?

Another way to put it is, what car(s) does BMW hope to steal market share from with the M1?

For better or worse, I can't think of too many sporty cars in this market price. The only car that comes to mind is a Porsche Boxter, with a base price of $47,600.

Any ideas?

Martin
Those who are going to buy Audi RS3, Audi TT-RS and Porsche Cayman S.

Last edited by BMW269; 03-13-2010 at 05:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 04:40 AM   #145
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post

You're also not going to get it without power windows, because the door cards and crank assemblies don't exist, and they're not going to design and produce them for a few thousand units.

Actually they do exist. Other markets get manual windows .

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 06:21 AM   #146
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Thank you scott!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RäDIOCLäSH View Post
Yes!BMW needs to be realistic about price point and potential new ,young buyers,who enjoy driving.As for stripped interiors and their function:this makes up half of the quotient for a high performance car....weight loss.(I think the new M3 GTS shows the beauty of minimalism).The other half being power.Thats what I want in an M car!
The plus of the M is about performance, drivability and practicality, aka, previous and current incarnation of M3, M5, M6, X5M, X6M. Only the GTS and CSL has been stripped down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trahsub View Post
I hear you, but at 50 grand does it shift the buying base that much? It's probably no achievable, but if BMW could price this thing in the 40s then it really would shift the base to a younger demographic.

Now how can they make money with the performance we demand? Bares bones interior - no nav, basic stereo with CD/aux jack, no electronic this or that, non power seats, etc . . . If they want this to be the spiritual sucessor to the E30M3, here's a good direction to go.
What the M1 will do is what the M3 did in the 90s - a "halo" car that performs well and equally reachable in comparison to other halo cars from other manufacturer. It doesn't mean that every young 20 year olds can buy it - but certainly they don't see it as an astronomical figure such as R8 or sls that they can never achieve. M3 moving up market means there needs to be a car that feels in that gap. That is what it meant by accessible from the younger market. I certainly bought my first BMW because of the M3. M1 will do what M3 did in the 90s and early 00s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post

Answer me this.

BMW has done that before with an aging platform previously, aka M coupe and the M roadster. The next 1er coupe won't be in till 2013, which is earlier in normal BMW cycle as the 1er coupe wasn't introduce till after the LCI of the 1er hatches. The M version happens differently in each model anyway, re the previous M3, M5, X5M, X6M. Although it didn't happen this time round at Genenva, if the 1er coupe happens in 2013, then the concept of the new M1 won't be in Geneva till 2014, which makes the new M1 not available till late 2014-2015. The E46 M3 productions continues right into the E90, and E92 cycle, and didn't stop production till it was replaced by the E92 M.

Scott has answered that he has called 1-M to save confusion.

Re Scott's IP, I would assume the mods had been doing their job .

Quote:
Originally Posted by djspeed_330i View Post

Any ideas?

Martin
It is a car that people aspire to - I bought the E46 M-pack 318i as I aspire to own the M3. I would say it makes perfect sense for current 135i drivers wanting to upgrade as their lease would be finishing then. As for the target market for the actual M1 - successful youngsters who want to drive something nicer and quicker than the Japs .
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 06:28 AM   #147
BMWDAD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Porsche Macan

should you wait for the F 20? maybe so................from autocar

Should I buy one?

The 335i is quick, focused and well balanced. However, the age of the basic E90 3-series is beginning to show through
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #148
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
Actually they do exist. Other markets get manual windows .

What market has a 1 Series coupe with manual windows?

Or any 1 Series at all?

I'd be surprised if there are any BMWs built anywhere without power windows, unless maybe they're being sold as fleet cars somewhere, and even then I doubt they can justify the cost.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 09:56 AM   #149
bmwzone
Captain
Rep
Drives: Black 5.0 (ordered), 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
I would say it makes perfect sense for current 135i drivers wanting to upgrade as their lease would be finishing then. As for the target market for the actual M1 - successful youngsters who want to drive something nicer and quicker than the Japs .
Huh? Someone getting out of a 135i LEASE is now going to jump into a 55k M1 PURCHASE?

Show of hands please.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #150
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Huh? Someone getting out of a 135i LEASE is now going to jump into a 55k M1 PURCHASE?

Show of hands please.

Why couldn't they be getting into an M1 lease?

Also, you seem to have the impression that people are leasing cars because they can't afford to buy them, and there's really no truth to that most of the time.

For someone who's going to trade cars every two or three years anyway, leasing can be a better option, depending on the numbers at the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 11:01 AM   #151
lacrosse
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 997 C2

Garage List
2006 Carrera C2  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
2002 Mercedes ML 320  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Why couldn't they be getting into an M1 lease?

Also, you seem to have the impression that people are leasing cars because they can't afford to buy them, and there's really no truth to that most of the time.

For someone who's going to trade cars every two or three years anyway, leasing can be a better option, depending on the numbers at the time.
Absolutely agree!

Gone: 2008 135i/2006 330i Arrived: 2006 997/Black/Sand Beige Leather/6MT/Sports Chrono Plus/19" Vorsteiner V-308s/Factory Nav/Sports Steering Wheel/Contrasting Mats/Heated Seats/Bose /V1/iPod adapter/Parrot Bluetooth/50% all around/Black "911" script/"Gundo Hack"/AWE black chrome tips/H&R adjustable front and rear sways/Rennline shift knob
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 03:11 PM   #152
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Hey Guys. I would appreciate it if you would keep this thread to questions only. It is difficult to trying to find your questions I would like to answer amongst off-topic debate.

@Ghostridethewhip.

Quote:
Scott, does this mean the current gen M3 WILL be getting a power bump for 2012? How much if so?
The M3 does not get any power updates within it's "Competition" package currently because of the M3 GTS. By purely a marketing view we cannot introduce a ltd edition car such as the M3 GTS and allow a Competition Package with similar update on the back of it's launch.
It is likely that towards the end of production that something will happen to the current car especially in light of increased competition. As for the M3 GTS?
The M3 GTS has sold out it's allocation and the media will be driving this car in the next few weeks.

@Pitkis

Quote:
Scott, just one question regarding F10 engines: when we should expect to see triple-turbo diesel in it? Any hint of xDrive - 3-turboD combination?
The Triple-Turbo is BMW's response to a V8 Diesel but only being six cylinders.
It is being touted as the Performance Diesel and will be placed in upper level cars from the 5 upwards.
The first outing of this powerplant will be communicated next year at the IAA in Frankfurt. The badging of these cars is still undetermined but they will be like Diesel versions of the iS car in concept which means a slightly more sporty appearance and individual aero packet.
This engine embodes everything about the "Efficient Dynamics" philosophy such as Great performance and excellent efficiency.

@RadioClash

Quote:
BMW needs to be realistic about price point and potential new ,young buyers,who enjoy driving.As for stripped interiors and their function:this makes up half of the quotient for a high performance car....weight loss.(I think the new M3 GTS shows the beauty of minimalism).The other half being power.Thats what I want in an M car!
You might want such a car and so might a few others but the majority want the performance and they want the luxury also. Unfortunately with this problem it does not justify the production of such cars to a market like North America. In the end of the day it comes down to the decision can a car like this be sold in such a market? Unfortunately the answer is no which is why BMW North America had to reject the M3 GTS because the dealer network did not think the car would find a consumer base.

@Dmboone

Quote:
So that would be technically three model years, right?
What is the average for ///M cars? I would guess 4 or so, based on the typical 7 year lifecycle of most BMW models....
The last Z4 M Coupe was only three years, wasn't it? 07-09....
Yes that is correct Z4 M Coupe/Roadster was available for just over 3 years.
The Z4 again was a low cost car to develop as the engine came from the E46 M3 and the car was originally designed as Coupe too but placed on hiatus.
Coupe was introduced to prop up the Z4 is some markets where the Roadster was not doing well than expected.
With the 1-M the basis engine for this car is where the major development has gine into this project as like the V8 from the X5M and X6M being the basis for the upcoming M5 , The 1-M powerplant will be the basis for the next M3 model.
When I say the basis they will be totally different in character and performance it will not be just one engine , one car The engine will be directed to accompany the car not be a simple transplant from one car to the next.

Last edited by SCOTT26; 03-13-2010 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2010, 04:54 PM   #153
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
[B]
@Dmboone

Yes that is correct Z4 M Coupe/Roadster was available for just over 3 years.
The Z4 again was a low cost car to develop as the engine came from the E46 M3 and the car was originally designed as Coupe too but placed on hiatus.
Coupe was introduced to prop up the Z4 is some markets where the Roadster was not doing well than expected.
With the 1-M the basis engine for this car is where the major development has gine into this project as like the V8 from the X5M and X6M being the basis for the upcoming M5 , The 1-M powerplant will be the basis for the next M3 model.
When I say the basis they will be totally different in character and performance it will not be just one engine , one car The engine will be directed to accompany the car not be a simple transplant from one car to the next.

Thanks Scott. As always, I appreciate the answers.

Well, I am officially excited again.....
      03-14-2010, 01:15 AM   #154
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

That is indeed good information. thanks
Appreciate 0