BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-18-2023, 04:41 PM   #45
karmatose
Rep
Drives: '09 182i

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1987 BMW 325is  [0.00]
I gave up waiting for AKG to manufacture their DSSR again and ended up picking up one of the 22RPD pieces. Seems very well made. Way better than the Garagistic one I put in my E30. Nicely machined links on the ends, good welds, etc. Can't comment on fitment yet as I haven't installed it yet but I will update when I have it in the car and some time with it.

Thanks for doing the homework and letting us know about it's existence, Bambambambee.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 05:54 AM   #46
sq86
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i E92 LMB

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambambambee View Post
It does not fully eliminate the play, or at least I dont think so? Is that even possible in a shifter that uses linkages?

It seems like there has to be some level of "looseness" in order for the linkage ends to be able to rotate within the bushings. I tightened down the bolts in the DSSR pretty snug in an effort to minimize the "play", but all it ended up doing was restricting movement and caused higher effort to shift gears. I played around with this for a bit and set it to what I thought was optimal.

Perhaps what I'm experiencing isnt actually play, but I'm comparing this to my Miata where the shifter sits directly in the transmission and has no linkages. It has a very direct feel and is quite fantastic in that department.

The best I can describe my current setup is it has a little loose side to side wobble, maybe 2mm or so, but you'll definitely know when youre engaging the transmission as the "neutral shake" takes a little more effort. My car is still on jack stands and havent yet been able to drive on the road, but it's cleaned up the slop quite nicely. I should have no more trouble shifting into 3rd gear

I changed tranny oil using Redline D6 ATF. I'd recommend changing the shift shaft seal while you're in there. It was a major PITA because I wasnt willing to remove the driveshaft, exhaust, and heat shield at first, but it is worth it to do so! It is really difficult to get the seal out/in with the driveshaft in the way!

Not the best view, but here's the DSSR in action -
I found the 22RPD DSSR option via Google when looking for options since AKG has been out of stock. I found this post when looking for the shift rod length. Thanks for the help and info. I’m in an E92 328 but our lengths are the same. Greatly appreciated!

BMW CCA Member# 481791
Current: 2013 E92 328i LMB/Saddle Brown (1 of 21 for E92 LCI in that combo), 2018 F31 330xi AW/Saddle Brown
Sold: 2011 1M BS/Black, 2008 E90 328xi AW/Beige, 2001 E46 330xi SG/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 12:18 AM   #47
Bambambambee
Rep
Drives: 128I

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootloops View Post
Nice find! I was losing hope on the DSSR search but this looks like a good solution.

Have you had a chance to drive the car yet? Would you say it feels any better with this DSSR? I have a chassis mounted Condor shifter I'm about to install and I'm wondering if it's worth doing this at the same time.
Sorry for the slow follow up, I don't check in here too often.

It's been a few months, and I've street driven the car a good amount by now. Shifts continue to feel nice and tight, and my only complaint is that the shifts are too notchy when the transmission is cold. I cannot get it into 1st gear sometimes, so I find myself rowing through the gears at red lights to ensure that it'll go into first when the light turns greens. In my experience, this is typical Redline fluid behavior, but I don't know if another fluid will make it that much better? I guess I'll find out in 30K miles (when I'm due for a transmission fluid change lol).

When the fluid is hot, the notchiness tones down and is more tolerable but I think the BMWP shifter is too notchy for my liking. It just feels weird having a notchy shifter but a super smooth clutch engagement (CDV delete).
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 08:55 PM   #48
karmatose
Rep
Drives: '09 182i

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1987 BMW 325is  [0.00]
So I finally got mine installed after letting it get better with age on the shelf dor about 3 months. My thoughts on it are that it is a good piece at a reasonable price and unlike AKG (which is still oos!) actually available. Would buy again.

The 22rpd dssr is paired with the Turner poly shift arm bushing, ECS Teflon bushing kit for in the front of the shifter arm and a BMW Performance shift lever. There's zero slop in the shifter now (my detents are still in great shape!) and while the Performance Shift lever is a bit notchy, it's not too over the top for daily driving.

Bottom line, good buy and would purchase again.
Appreciate 2
WrathOTM542.50
sq86363.00