BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-08-2022, 01:38 PM   #1
Almuliman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LMB 6MT 128i

'11 128i just sold for $16.6K on BaT

Well documented and super clean, but no sport, no comfort access, no HIDs. 79K miles. Maybe it being a slicktop added some value <shrug>.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-bmw-128-11
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 01:51 PM   #2
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Those auction sites have a certain type of people who shop them. I don't think those prices reflect the average market. It's in the realm of sending a car to Mecum vs a dealer lot. You get people with more money than sense and the seller profits well.
Appreciate 2
Almuliman483.50
chris82827.00
      04-08-2022, 06:34 PM   #3
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Those auction sites have a certain type of people who shop them. I don't think those prices reflect the average market. It's in the realm of sending a car to Mecum vs a dealer lot. You get people with more money than sense and the seller profits well.
Remember, anyone can use BaT to sell. All it takes is a collectible car with a good story. If someone pays it, that's a market price. Of course it's not "average", because only the exceptional end up on BaT.

Remember when they wouldn't take a 1-series on BaT?
Appreciate 1
Almuliman483.50
      04-10-2022, 07:39 AM   #4
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almuliman View Post
Well documented and super clean, but no sport, no comfort access, no HIDs. 79K miles. Maybe it being a slicktop added some value <shrug>.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-bmw-128-11
Yea, prices are just ridiculous out there.

Back in 2011, I bought my 2009 128i 6MT with 10k miles on it for $17,500, it has a rebuilt title which is why I got the deal I did. To think a 128i with 8x the miles, and now 11 years old, could go for close to what I paid, wow!
Appreciate 1
Almuliman483.50
      04-10-2022, 10:26 AM   #5
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Low supply + high demand + easy credit = higher prices.

1983 E21 Delphin, M10, 5 speed, LSD, MSW wheels, recaro seats, Hartge strut brace, rear sway bar.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 1
chris82827.00
      04-10-2022, 10:43 AM   #6
..Rush..
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E88

Wait, they wouldn't take a 1 series in the past?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
Remember, anyone can use BaT to sell. All it takes is a collectible car with a good story. If someone pays it, that's a market price. Of course it's not "average", because only the exceptional end up on BaT.

Remember when they wouldn't take a 1-series on BaT?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 11:18 PM   #7
racerhawk
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i

A few days ago I traded in my 2012 128i with 82k miles for $8000. Most dealers were trying to offer me $7k. The car was basically one owner, totally corrosion free and in good condition. Dang I probably could've private sold it for more but didn't think anyone would pay much more than $8k.

I didn't want to ever sell the car. It was a beautiful looking car and should've been the perfect car but I couldn't stand the valvetronic's throttle response in combination with the auto transmission's programming and various other things BMW went about how things functioned. My 1 series was like a frustrating love/hate relationship with beautiful but difficult woman lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 05:54 AM   #8
Allen Aquino
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWM8 Gran Coupe

Yeah bruv….prices are just kinda ridiculous out there this days
Appreciate 1
Mosset0.00
      06-27-2022, 06:55 AM   #9
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerhawk View Post
A few days ago I traded in my 2012 128i with 82k miles for $8000. Most dealers were trying to offer me $7k. The car was basically one owner, totally corrosion free and in good condition. Dang I probably could've private sold it for more but didn't think anyone would pay much more than $8k.

I didn't want to ever sell the car. It was a beautiful looking car and should've been the perfect car but I couldn't stand the valvetronic's throttle response in combination with the auto transmission's programming and various other things BMW went about how things functioned. My 1 series was like a frustrating love/hate relationship with beautiful but difficult woman lol.
The manuals are the only E82s bringing the money on BaT.

You need to drive that GM-auto in "sport" to make it even tolerable.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 10:35 AM   #10
racerhawk
Private
Rep

Quote:
The manuals are the only E82s bringing the money on BaT.

You need to drive that GM-auto in "sport" to make it even tolerable.
Is it the manuals only going for money? I still think what I was saying about geting top kbb price for a clean auto is probably true.

About the auto trans. The shifts smoothed out after I drove it more. Putting it in sport would just made it more surgey and only compounded what I feel is wrong with the transmission program. The GM transmission is a fine transmission it's the BMW programming. The torque converter was a little low stall, and never unlocks when throttling up making it lag. I didn't care for engine braking in 1st gear onward. Often engine breaking is only programmed in for higher gears. It operated more like a manual trans that shifted automatically than a typical automatic. But the bigger or compounding problem was the non linearality of the valvetronic throttle response. The nonlinear throttle and abrupt up and down shifts just upset the car making it impossible to drive smoothly and seamlessly in my view.

The powertrain just didn't drive like about every other good automatic car like say the new Camaro my younger brother just got with more linear throttle and seamless up and downshifts etc and I believe it's the trans program and valvetronic. I think an automatic needs seamless shifting because the autoshifts will upset driving the car if the shifts are abrupt. It's like with my sportbike, if I don't rev match shifts going into tight corners the bike will be upset and unstable, but at least I know when the shift is coming since I'm shifting unlike with . the BMW auto's abrupt shifts. I view as the standard in drivability a cable throttle, naturally aspirated, unobtrusive shifts.

I understand now why people either run the automatic in sport mode to get around the lag and surpise downshifts, or just get a manual, but it doesn't really fix the auto trans programming or the throttle response.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 08:05 PM   #11
mizzourahslim
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Without a radar detector.

Garage List
I had some issues when I first got mine. Oddly timed and abrupt shift shock. Seemed to drive/shift based on the previous owners driving style and habits.
I do not pretend to know the magic behind this, but I followed these instructions, lo and behold, within a handful of my normal driving trips, the whole experience changed.
This car is so smooth, responsive, quick, no throttle lag.
Altogether a different beast.
I believe it simply learned my driving style and acts accordingly.
See the picture for the instructions.
All apologies if you have already tried this.
Maybe it will work for you or others with similar issues.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 12:03 AM   #12
racerhawk
Private
Rep

Yeah I did try that when I first got it. The shifts didn't seem to improve from it, but a couple thousands miles later and before I traded it off the shifts had become fairly smooth. The previous owner was my brother who owned since new. He had just replaced the battery that went dead before I bought it so maybe it lost the shift wear adaption.

But the laggy valvetronic throttle up to 1500 rpm and surge above 1500 rpm, the tight torque converter feel and the trans programming not to my liking prevailed. The basic platform and concept was my idea car and I wished I could've kept it but there were too many things to overlook that weren't done right on it for me. I stil sort of miss the car and it hasn't even been gone a week lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 08:12 PM   #13
racerhawk
Private
Rep

Man, the dealer I traded in my 128i already has it listed for sale and they only had it for about two business days. I'm not sure they even changed the oil or serviced anything and have it listed for $14,116, $6k more than they gave me. I just didn't think anyone would give me more than about $9k in a private sell but feeling like a sucker now lol.

https://www.ricartchevrolet.com/Vehi...-OH/5356072410
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 10:02 PM   #14
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Yeah, you probably could have gotten more. But then it is a base car without power seats or leather or xenons or sport package, though the color is great! I got our insurance to pay $11,700 for my wife's 2008 Sport Auto with 120k on it when she ran it into a tree backwards at around 45-mph. Their first offer was $7700. Now her's did have leather, sport pkg, power seats, Nav, xenons, and PDC. It all adds up. Did you take their first offer?

And then you might still be dealing with low-lifes with no money asking you dumb questions and making lowball offers. Just move on.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 12:41 AM   #15
racerhawk
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, you probably could have gotten more. But then it is a base car without power seats or leather or xenons or sport package, though the color is great! I got our insurance to pay $11,700 for my wife's 2008 Sport Auto with 120k on it when she ran it into a tree backwards at around 45-mph. Their first offer was $7700. Now her's did have leather, sport pkg, power seats, Nav, xenons, and PDC. It all adds up. Did you take their first offer?

And then you might still be dealing with low-lifes with no money asking you dumb questions and making lowball offers. Just move on.
I loved the Montego blue color and the cars styling. I had been to three other dealers and they were all offering me $7k so I took the $8k the last dealer offered. I would've been happy to let it go in a private sell for $9500 to make it worth the trouble, which would've been a lot better deal for someone than $14k the dealer is asking. It was a low mile, corrosion free car, basically one owner with a clean history. My brother had recently changed the real wheel width and rear tire size to the sport size with the summer Continentals as the only modification. $14k is not going to be a good deal especially when the buyer finds out the summer tires aren't going to work well in a few months, but $7k trade in and $14k retail seems to be the numbers for even an auto 128i in good condition.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 08:01 AM   #16
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
If you only ask wholesale buyers, you're only going to get wholesale offers. Did you check with Carmax or Carvana?

They can ask whatever they want, even if the price is substantiated by CarFax. There are so few around, if someone is interested they'll just have to get over the lack of options if they're really looking for a 128i auto. The joke is the "books" value the auto around $2000 more than the stick, and we all know that's not right.

If they get an offer of $12k, they'll likely sell it in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 11:38 AM   #17
racerhawk
Private
Rep

Quote:
If you only ask wholesale buyers, you're only going to get wholesale offers. Did you check with Carmax or Carvana?

They can ask whatever they want, even if the price is substantiated by CarFax. There are so few around, if someone is interested they'll just have to get over the lack of options if they're really looking for a 128i auto. The joke is the "books" value the auto around $2000 more than the stick, and we all know that's not right.

If they get an offer of $12k, they'll likely sell it in a heartbeat.
Carmax offered me a tentative offer of $9k when I first bought but that was tentative and 6months ago and 3k less miles.

From going to dealers, they will not drop the price on cars they are selling. If the 128 doesn't sell within a month or two, they will probably reduce the price a few hundred maybe up to $1000, and if still doesn't sell they send it to auction before coming down on price. It's almost like price fixing.

Maybe most BMW shoppers want more options but I didn't and liked how this car was optioned with just the necessary cold weather package and I think an upgrade radio. I might've wanted additionally just the sport package but not really.

Anyway I think even 128i autos in good condition are going for around $14k retail for anyone wondering their cars value. Just the fact that if a car's trade in is $7-k-$8k, dealers are always looking to make at least $5k or more. Getting some of the $5k+ spread over wholesale value in a private sale might not be easy though.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 09:03 PM   #18
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Your car's history shows only three charged options:
Heated seats
Heated steering wheel
Metallic paint

That's it. There wasn't even an up-charge for the automatic in that year.

MSRP $32,290 plus $895 "destination and handling" in that year.

You seem fully aware of the value of such a car so I don't understand why what the dealership is charging comes as a surprise to you—or why you gave it up for so cheap if you knew it was worth more!!

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 12:07 AM   #19
racerhawk
Private
Rep

Quote:
Your car's history shows only three charged options:
Heated seats
Heated steering wheel
Metallic paint

That's it. There wasn't even an up-charge for the automatic in that year.

MSRP $32,290 plus $895 "destination and handling" in that year.

You seem fully aware of the value of such a car so I don't understand why what the dealership is charging comes as a surprise to you—or why you gave it up for so cheap if you knew it was worth more!!

Well any used car's value is mostly about condition and history, milage and year moreso than options that not everyone even wants.

I wouldn't say I'm fully aware of 128is value especially in a private sell. All I know is according to KBB and from shopping around I got a good trade in price and that the dealer is listing it a few thousand over KBB retail value and did no reconditioning. I'm just trying to pass along some pricing info and personal experience no reason to be a little condescending.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 07:08 AM   #20
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Well any used car's value is mostly about condition and history, milage and year moreso than options that not everyone even wants.

I wouldn't say I'm fully aware of 128is value especially in a private sell. All I know is according to KBB and from shopping around I got a good trade in price and that the dealer is listing it a few thousand over KBB retail value and did no reconditioning. I'm just trying to pass along some pricing info and personal experience no reason to be a little condescending.
Yes, and it's probably true that those looking for an automatic aren't as picky about anything else on the car. Unless it's me shopping for my wife and her arthritic left knee. I went to Texas to get her 128i auto in a color I wanted, with the sport seats, power seats, heated seats, and xenon lights I required for her. Now that her 128i is totaled and replaced with an E90, I know Comfort Access Keyless entry will forever be on her required list.

My wife and I are a foot-difference in height and memory seats are important just so I can get in her car, and so when she opens with her key she doesn't have to readjust from my use. To each their own, but having been in the BMW biz for over 45-years, I know what options people want on their cars. I once paid for heated seats on a customer's X3 lease order because I was so tired of getting her cars back in at maturity and having to do some crappy after-market seat heaters just to get anyone to consider it. After two E82s with sport seats, I won't have one without them. That's not being critical or condescending to you. You already sold your car and then came back to bemoan what the dealer is asking for it. I got my insurance to pay me $11,700 for my wife's 2008 128i Sport Auto with over 100k on it when it was totaled earlier this year. They started at about what you got for yours but I gave them a dose of reality and they upped their offer. Nothing personal. Like you, I'm passing along information.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 09:24 AM   #21
racerhawk
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes, and it's probably true that those looking for an automatic aren't as picky about anything else on the car. Unless it's me shopping for my wife and her arthritic left knee. I went to Texas to get her 128i auto in a color I wanted, with the sport seats, power seats, heated seats, and xenon lights I required for her. Now that her 128i is totaled and replaced with an E90, I know Comfort Access Keyless entry will forever be on her required list.

My wife and I are a foot-difference in height and memory seats are important just so I can get in her car, and so when she opens with her key she doesn't have to readjust from my use. To each their own, but having been in the BMW biz for over 45-years, I know what options people want on their cars. I once paid for heated seats on a customer's X3 lease order because I was so tired of getting her cars back in at maturity and having to do some crappy after-market seat heaters just to get anyone to consider it. After two E82s with sport seats, I won't have one without them. That's not being critical or condescending to you. You already sold your car and then came back to bemoan what the dealer is asking for it. I got my insurance to pay me $11,700 for my wife's 2008 128i Sport Auto with over 100k on it when it was totaled earlier this year. They started at about what you got for yours but I gave them a dose of reality and they upped their offer. Nothing personal. Like you, I'm passing along information.
I don't disagree with any of that really. But I could also imagine someone looking for a manual 128i wanting to keep the options simple too except maybe for the sport package. Like I said the steering wheel and seat heater option is an absolute necessity anywhere but the deep South, and for some owners there's other options that are basically essential.

Maybe you are reading less passing on information and more bemoaning in my posts about the sale than there really is. But you have to put yourself in my shoes, and if your insurance company never came up in their offer you'd probably bemoan too. I didn't have the leverage selling the car that you had with the insurance company. No dealer was going to come up from the $7k-$8k they were all offering and probably not even a private buyer would much either. I didn't entirely want to sell the 128 but certain situations were pressuring the sale. And one has to agree for the dealer to turn right around and list that car at a $6100 mark up without having to do any recondition is a little much not just for my sake but for anyone looking to buy it.

Hmm, I think I see what it is. I am not to a degree taking a jab at just the dealer so much as the private seller market where i think it's hard to find a reasonable buyer and get a cut of the retail value of your car.

Last edited by racerhawk; 06-30-2022 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 12:36 PM   #22
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Man, the dealer I traded in my 128i already has it listed for sale and they only had it for about two business days. I'm not sure they even changed the oil or serviced anything and have it listed for $14,116, $6k more than they gave me. I just didn't think anyone would give me more than about $9k in a private sell but feeling like a sucker now lol.

https://www.ricartchevrolet.com/Vehi...-OH/5356072410
I imagine they are hoping to get 12.5k for it.