BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-22-2021, 08:28 PM   #1
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E88 and 2016 F85

135i Headlight options

So, my 2008 135i (E88) was in an accident and the headlight unit got cracked. The adaptive stopped working and I got an error message on the dashboard. After that I noticed a lot of moisture in the headlight so I investigated and found a hole in the back of the unit. So I bought a used unit from someone on EBay and put it in. I also replaced a ballast (Amazon $60) because it was literally full of water when I pulled the old headlight unit out as well as two new Osram bulbs. When I put everything back together I immediately noticed a slight flickering when I pulled up behind someone or up to my garage door. I didn't actually check to see which side was flickering, wish I had now. Anyway, fast forward a year and now one of my main beams doesn't work. The halo and turn signal both work on that unit, just the main beam, whether it's dipped or not. I also noticed that it looks like that bulb is now pointed all the way to the right....almost like the adaptive started to reset itself then stopped. What's weird is that when I coded it out (adaptive) the light worked as a normal headlight (just no adaptive) for several weeks afterwards then suddenly stopped. I immediately assumed the bulb was dead and switched it....but it still doesn't work. Any ideas what this is ? Does that sound like a ballast issue and is the ballast that metal pack that plugs in underneath the light unit ?

I'm getting tired of the issues I have with these headlights, are there any plug and play alternatives to these ? Complete units.

I do not know if this is pre LCI or not - if that matters. I expect I can find out if I need to. Looking at the BMW VIN Decoder it was manufactured in June 2008.

Thanks.

Last edited by Mandinca; 07-22-2021 at 08:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 10:36 PM   #2
Emanyankee
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i e82

Sorry it doesn't really help but the m2 looking style one are sharp af
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 07:03 AM   #3
Jorgensen54
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW/AG 135i 6MT

2008 is indeed pre-LCi. The faults you're describing sound more like a contact problem. The individual wires inside the light are very thin (18AWG IIRC) and very brittle after so many heat cycles. The bottom of the light has a removable panel that holds both the ballast and AHL module. Removing that gives access to the internal harness for inspection. Also make sure any socket connectors are properly seated. A small paintbrush + 70% isopropyl alcohol, followed by dielectric grease to all contacts wouldn't be a bad idea.
Appreciate 0