BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-01-2021, 06:23 AM   #1
thailand
Rep
Drives: 128i

Codes after valve cover replacement

Hello all,
I'm at a loss, and hoping to pick your brains.

I did a VCG replacement, and after a lot of cursing and swearing, got that sucker in. Reconnected everything, checked twice, and now have multiple codes and a rough running engine.

Codes are misfires in every cylinder, the multiple cylinder misfire code, intake vanos code, and 29e1. All per carly.

Checked the seating of all plugs, coils, electrical connections, the line on the back of the valve cover, and all look good. Checked plugs in e-box to make sure I didn't pull any, and re-installed the valvetronic on a whim. I also did the relearn process with the valvetronic. I cleaned the intake vanos too, while I was at it. (maybe I'll try switching them...)

Next step is to pull the cover again and re-do. Anyone have any insight, or something I can try before I pull the whole cover again, and re-trace my steps? I didn't mess with the injectors, or intake side of the engine at all.

Another odd thing, is that the car was running fine when I parked it last night after a test drive, then this morning, with a cold engine, decided to throw all those codes again...

I'm at a loss, missing work, and generally not happy with the whole situation!!! Any thoughts guys and gals???

Thanks!
      11-01-2021, 02:36 PM   #2
thailand
Rep
Drives: 128i

Well, I threw in the towel.

I re-did the entire job, cleaned every connector, reseated every bolt, gasket, coil, plug, and injectors. Took me about 5 hours, all to the same result.

There is a very good indy pretty close, so off to them it goes. I'll update with the results.
      11-04-2021, 04:01 PM   #3
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Did you replace the ESS when you had the engine open? I would always recommend replacing it because they almost always foul from oil contamination. It could explain your symptoms and simply unplugging the connector might be enough to trigger a failure.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 0