BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-29-2021, 11:55 AM   #1
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E88 and 2016 F85

Weird tire wear, failing strut ?

I really hope someone can help me with this....

I have an E88 with style 264 rims on BMW performance suspension. I recently took the car to have something looked at and the mechanic told me that my passenger front tire was worn to the wire on the inside shoulder. I got home and took the wheel off and sure enough it was worn to the wire, but only in one place, about 6 inches of the total circumference. The rest of the tire went from being just scuffed to worn like this, then back to scuffed again. I just had the tire replaced and the tire guy thinks it could be hitting the suspension because the tire gap on that side (between tire and perch) is quite a lot less than on the other side. Now, I know it's not hitting the perch because the perch and rim/tire are static but could it be hitting the spring ? I looked to see if anything was polished from the rubbing but couldn't see anything.

The wear looked like someone took a 90 degree angle and scraped it along the shoulder of the tire, like an L shaped step was cut into it. Seems to me it has to be rubbing. Has anyone ever seen anything like this ?

Also, if I just put stock struts back on it but keep the BMW PS springs, will I keep my ride height or do the BMW PS struts themselves help to lower the car ?
      07-29-2021, 02:48 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Tire clearance to suspension components is pretty static. Do you have a reason to believe something is broken? Do you hear rubbing on compression?

The tire is worn 6" along the width of the tire itself, or 6" of the radial circumference?

Post a photo, this would be a first for me.
      07-30-2021, 08:25 PM   #3
fast1eddy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Lemans Blue

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
If the tire is hitting the spring or the strut there should be wear marks on those items. I'd take the wheel off and have a good look around everywhere in the wheel arch. I've had Mperformance springs and struts with zero problems. I've recently changed to Koni Special Active struts again with no problems.
Appreciate 0