BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-01-2021, 11:02 AM   #1
Unsavedone
Rep
Drives: 17 330i Sport Wagon

Best Ride Quality Question

My 2012 135i M Sport is getting super rough over bumps. I assume my suspension is just getting clapped out.

I’m looking for recommendations on the best riding suspension components. I don’t need to lower it but I don’t want to raise the height over the stock ride height. I just want it to ride well and not crash over all the NE Ohio potholes and frost heaves in our roads.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 02:43 PM   #2
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsavedone View Post
My 2012 135i M Sport is getting super rough over bumps. I assume my suspension is just getting clapped out.

I’m looking for recommendations on the best riding suspension components. I don’t need to lower it but I don’t want to raise the height over the stock ride height. I just want it to ride well and not crash over all the NE Ohio potholes and frost heaves in our roads.

Any suggestions?
Take a look at the suspension & brakes forum. A starting point:

- Look at Koni FSD (I think they are called sport active shocks now), pair them up with you stock M-sport springs
- Refresh all rubber components like shock mounts / strut mounts etc when you are in there
- You can also look into Dinan rear upper shock mount kit, supposedly adds another 10mm of shock travel before the bumpstops are engaged, allowing for a better ride
- If you are still driving on stock run-flats....you'll gain very noticeable ride quality improvement by switching to a non-runflat tire. I you want a summer tire, the Conti ExtremeContact Sport is a very smooth riding tire in stock sizing.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 12:37 AM   #3
fast1eddy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Lemans Blue

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Quote:

Any suggestions?
Take a look at the suspension & brakes forum. A starting point:

- Look at Koni FSD (I think they are called sport active shocks now), pair them up with you stock M-sport springs
- Refresh all rubber components like shock mounts / strut mounts etc when you are in there
- You can also look into Dinan rear upper shock mount kit, supposedly adds another 10mm of shock travel before the bumpstops are engaged, allowing for a better ride
- If you are still driving on stock run-flats....you'll gain very noticeable ride quality improvement by switching to a non-runflat tire. I you want a summer tire, the Conti ExtremeContact Sport is a very smooth riding tire in stock sizing.
All good advice. Add in Whiteline rear subframe bushings and your car will be transformed.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 10:25 AM   #4
Unsavedone
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. I am not running on run flats. Those made it unbearable.

Are there aftermarket bushings and rubber parts that work better than stock or should I just stick with stock for those?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:25 AM   #5
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I am not running on run flats. Those made it unbearable.

Are there aftermarket bushings and rubber parts that work better than stock or should I just stick with stock for those?
You can buy OE/OEM parts for things like spring pads, Strut mounds, shock mounts etc. Usually lemforder makes the BMW part but you save money buying the Lemforder branded part and have the same/similar quality.

I can't say that they work "better" - they will work the same as a new/OE part, as that is the intent. The part you're "improving" for ride comfort in this scenario is the shock absorber if you use something like a Koni FSD/Sport Active or other ....
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 10:01 AM   #6
NorthernDancer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 Sedona 128 & 06 330xiT 6MT

Buy your parts from either FCP Euro or Pelican Parts. You may be able to actually talk with a sales rep who will guide you. This assumes you have the skills to install yourself.

If you have a very good BMW indy garage, talk with them.

If you don't have the good indy garage, consider joining BMWCCA and then talking with these guys: https://rmcbmwcca.org/. They are quite close to you and would be a huge help (and likely save you a bunch of money.)
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 11:07 AM   #7
Samuel Wikerson
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i M Sport

To get a soft comfortable ride you need a lot of suspension travel to soak up the bumps, and of course a shock that matches the spring rate. Replacing bushings and eliminating any slop in the suspension just makes the ride firmer.

The only way to get a truly comfortable ride is to get something like Mercedes Active Body Control, ABC, or some similar system that keeps the vehicle body level regardless of the condition of the road.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 03:49 AM   #8
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:

Any suggestions?
How many miles are on the car?

The Koni FSD special actives are a good suggestion. So is replacing any worn out rubber pieces.

If you want the best riding suspension get the Ohlins Road & Track coilovers. Yes, they cost quite a bit more but it truly is a smooth and sublime set up that allows you to dial in the shocks dampening to match your driving and intended use.
      08-12-2021, 10:56 AM   #9
Unsavedone
Rep

The car only has 40,000 miles and it has never been in an accident. I used to want to tear up twisty roads but I'm too old for that now. I need it to still look good and sit right like it does but I just don't want to crash over everything.

I feel like the door panels rattle, the passenger side windsheild trim rattles... It's like it's too harsh to hold up to it's own ride.

I appreciate all the input. Does everyone else have crazy rattles over every bump?

I am finding all kinds of upper and lower shock mounting kits at ECS but nothing for the front except for the strut mount. What should I be looking for?

Last edited by Unsavedone; 08-12-2021 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: Added a question
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 07:45 AM   #10
fast1eddy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I'm extremely picky when it comes to ride quality. I sold my old E36 M3 because I couldn't stand the harsh ride even though the handling was incredible. With this car I really wanted to find the best ride possible without sacrificing handling and for me I've found it. Here's what I've done. M Performance springs they lower the car around 10mm. Dinan rear shock mounts for 10mm more travel in the rear. If I had to do those again I'd get the Monroe ones as I think they're the same thing for way less money. Whiteline rear subframe bushings. These added zero NVH but eliminated 90% of the rear end wiggle over bumps. M3 control arms front and rear. These again help the car feel more planted and solid. The only disclaimer here is the front tension arms. They added a lot of NVH and I went back to stock. M3 front sway bar for less body roll. New upper front strut mounts and lower rear shock mounts as mine were worn. Lastly I did Koni Special Active shocks when one of my M Performance rear shocks broke. The ride with the complete M Performance suspension was very good and I had no complaints but the Konis are just better. I just finished an 800 km trip to the mountains and they soaked up everything the roads threw at them. I would see harsh pavement ahead and cringe but when I hit it , nothing. The suspension would just soak it up.

For your goals I'd just do the Whiteline rear subframe bushings. Monroe rear shock mounts. Koni special active shocks. Lower rear and upper front mounts are wear items so replace those as necessary.
Appreciate 2
Almuliman483.50
gorilla16.50
      08-13-2021, 10:14 AM   #11
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
I am finding all kinds of upper and lower shock mounting kits at ECS but nothing for the front except for the strut mount. What should I be looking for?
For the Front, there aren't too many "upgradeable" pieces. New Strut Mount "Top Hat" to make sure the bearings are good, and the rubber spring isolators that go between the strut and the spring are the only pieces really. Don't forget about a gasket at the top strut mount too.

In general, I think our car has never had the smoothest ride, not near anything like a 5 series for example. I imagined it was designed more to the sporty side if anything with accommodations in ride comfort for that. Other than adding an active body control system (does anyone actually make a kit for a 1 series?) or going to air bags, I wonder if someone can chime in on the difference switching to 17" wheels has made.

Most of the accounts going to 17"s are for track use, but I have to imagine there's at least a couple people out there that have gone that way for comfort?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 11:57 AM   #12
fast1eddy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Lighter wheels in general help ride quality and handling. When I first got my car I tried the 17" BBS wheels from my E36 M3. They made an immediate improvement. Sadly they also rubbed so I sold them with my car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 05:43 PM   #13
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

I'm one of the very few (I've seen 3 of us) on Koni FSD.

I thought I was buying setup that was soft but would stiffen up. That isn't the case. It's stiff but softens as frequency increases.

The best analogy I can give for how it feels is it's like the difference between a low profile tire and a mid height sidewall. The taller tire is more forgiving and comfortable.

It's actually a really nice ride and I'm not upset by my purchase at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 09:48 AM   #14
blue135
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

I also appreciate the Koni Special Actives (nee FSD) on my E88.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 01:04 PM   #15
MAMSport
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i M-Sport coupe

I'm happy with the Special Actives as well. My car came to me with 19" wheels/tires, but they rubbed at all corners and were stiff (Pilot Sports, I believe). Went to 18" with Pilot Sport AS, which were ok, but I decided to go to 17" with 225/45 Bridgestone RE980 AS for softer ride. I wouldn't consider going back to 18"s. See sig for suspension mods.
E9x M3 front & rear suspension arms; BMW Performance brakes upgraded to drilled rotors in rear; BMW performance shifter; BMW Performance Exhaust; Wave Trac LSD with modified 'nannies'; BMW Euro Intake box; BMW Aluminum Strut Tower bar; ECS front and rear sway bars; 3 stage intake with BPC software; BMW style 78, 17 x 8" wheels with Bridgestone RE 980AS 225/45-17 tires; Koni Special Active struts/shocks, E9x M3 RTABs.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 02:51 PM   #16
WeryPert1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

OP: what tires are you on?

The biggest ride quality improvement you can make is ditching the Run-Flat tires for (good quality!) non run-flats. Do that before considering any suspension mods, if you haven't already. Not sure what a decent performing but comfortable tire would be for the 135i, but I'm sure others can make recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 09:44 AM   #17
Unsavedone
Rep

I am currently on Bridgestone 980s. I ditched the run flats immediately.

It seems pretty clear to me that the Konis are the fan favorites. I appreciate all the help. You guys have given me a great shopping list to start with!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 05:59 AM   #18
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
I am currently on Bridgestone 980s. I ditched the run flats immediately.

It seems pretty clear to me that the Konis are the fan favorites. I appreciate all the help. You guys have given me a great shopping list to start with!
They are not as common as other suspension set ups on the forum but most people are looking for a lower stiffer ride.
      08-28-2021, 06:34 AM   #19
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
Quote:

I feel like the door panels rattle, the passenger side windsheild trim rattles... It's like it's too harsh to hold up to it's own ride.

I appreciate all the input. Does everyone else have crazy rattles over every bump?

I was having this kind of noises as well at 50k and currently nearly all gone.

I replaced the runflats as many mentioned, with oem suspension the car rode super soft like a 90's Buick bouncy and soft. Still had some structure noises, jolts still some too.

few days later replaced the shocks and struts Koni orange, Turner/ECS bearing kit, 1M/M3 control arms, alignment. Left the orig oem springs on. It's been 41k miles since very satisfied with ride quality. Hindsight I'd wish I had added camber plates on the front I think would have perfected this setup.

This resulted in a perfect feel for daily driver, handles perfect. Next spring I'll replace the suspension at 100k area, not sure yet what tho.
Appreciate 0