BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-09-2018, 12:05 PM   #1
b3turbo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 FBO 135i

HELP!! Which clear bra brand to choose

Hello
i am thinking about installing clear bar on bmw space grey 135. I still thinking if i should do the whole car or just the front end with bumpers mirrors and door handles, but which clean bra brand should i go with? :
Suntek
Xpel
LLumar
Avery
3M

i would prefer a clear bra with self healing coat and a good looking finish.
thanks in advance
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2018, 10:01 PM   #2
what have i got into
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i, 2013 X5d

I have 3M (I forget which series it was) on the car and have the Xpel on the SUV. I literally can't tell a difference between the two. Both have had rock chips, door dings, bumper dings and have held up well for 6 years and 5 years respectively.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 12:26 PM   #3
b3turbo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by what have i got into View Post
I have 3M (I forget which series it was) on the car and have the Xpel on the SUV. I literally can't tell a difference between the two. Both have had rock chips, door dings, bumper dings and have held up well for 6 years and 5 years respectively.
Which is more durable from you experience ? and how do they look installed any difference in shine ?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 06:29 PM   #4
what have i got into
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i, 2013 X5d

Shine-wise, I would say the 3M is a bit more reflective, so with a normal wash, you can tell there is a bra on the car. When the car is really polished and shiny, then the bra blends right in and you don't even notice it.

The Xpel is definitely thicker such that it develops a lip between the edge of the bra and the painted surface where the dirt and grime likes to build up and so you see this dirt line.

Durability wise, I haven't noticed any difference. The door edges are wrapped and one of the door dings on the car shows a bit more, but the car is dark blue, but it didn't damage the paint which to me is more critical. On the SUV, I hit a 2x4 on the highway and it scraped off a dime-sized area on the front bumper and that's starting to get dirt in it and peel away a bit of the wrap, but it's also been that way for a couple of years and now it's probably about the size of a quarter. So still happy with that. Other than that, I can guarantee both have been subjected to rocks, gravel, sand.... And none of that is visible in the wrap and definitely not visible in the paint.

So I am happy with both.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 06:46 PM   #5
b3turbo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by what have i got into View Post
Shine-wise, I would say the 3M is a bit more reflective, so with a normal wash, you can tell there is a bra on the car. When the car is really polished and shiny, then the bra blends right in and you don't even notice it.

The Xpel is definitely thicker such that it develops a lip between the edge of the bra and the painted surface where the dirt and grime likes to build up and so you see this dirt line.

Durability wise, I haven't noticed any difference. The door edges are wrapped and one of the door dings on the car shows a bit more, but the car is dark blue, but it didn't damage the paint which to me is more critical. On the SUV, I hit a 2x4 on the highway and it scraped off a dime-sized area on the front bumper and that's starting to get dirt in it and peel away a bit of the wrap, but it's also been that way for a couple of years and now it's probably about the size of a quarter. So still happy with that. Other than that, I can guarantee both have been subjected to rocks, gravel, sand.... And none of that is visible in the wrap and definitely not visible in the paint.

So I am happy with both.
Glad to hear some positive feed back, thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 06:20 PM   #6
vape_on
Rep
Drives: e82 120

interested
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 05:46 PM   #7
b3turbo
Private First Class