BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #1
blue_135i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

135i center driveshaft removal

Any advise on how to remove it. I saw a post from a 3 series and said to remove a retaining nut but I dont see one on mine. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 05:55 PM   #2
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_135i View Post
Any advise on how to remove it. I saw a post from a 3 series and said to remove a retaining nut but I dont see one on mine. Thanks
I followed this thread (and the link) to pull the drive shaft. Once the whole drive shaft is removed, you should be able to pull back the boot and pull the two sections apart to get at the center bearing. The two sections fit together on splines. It is VERY IMPORTANT to mark the each drive shaft so that the two sections of the drive shaft are rejoined in the exact same location. The drive shaft is balance at the factory, and if they are not put back together in the same location, you will get a major vibration.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=619618&page=3

Here's the link to the drive shaft diagram on RealOEM...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=26_0233
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 08:22 AM   #3
wook
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Bumping this because it's relevant and I didn't want to start a new thread.

My carrier bearing is shot and I'm going to replace it, my question is do I have to remove the whole driveshaft to replace the bearing? I don't have the wrench for the rear nut. Also, how do the two halves separate? MT if that matters. Thanks!

edit: For anyone searching this I just finished replacing the carrier bearing and flex disc. you don't have to pull the entire driveshaft out to replace the carrier bearing. Once you disconnect the front of the shaft, pull the rubber boot near the carrier bearing back exposing the splines, and the front half will slide out. I was looking for a lock nut or something holding the front half on but there isn't one.

Then you pull that rubber boot all the way out, and with a bearing puller you can get the carrier bearing out.

If you are replacing the carrier bearing, it's suggested to replace the flex disc (guibo) as well, because it softens over time.

Last edited by wook; 03-21-2018 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 03:45 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by wook View Post
Bumping this because it's relevant and I didn't want to start a new thread.

My carrier bearing is shot and I'm going to replace it, my question is do I have to remove the whole driveshaft to replace the bearing? I don't have the wrench for the rear nut. Also, how do the two halves separate? MT if that matters. Thanks!

edit: For anyone searching this I just finished replacing the carrier bearing and flex disc. you don't have to pull the entire driveshaft out to replace the carrier bearing. Once you disconnect the front of the shaft, pull the rubber boot near the carrier bearing back exposing the splines, and the front half will slide out. I was looking for a lock nut or something holding the front half on but there isn't one.

Then you pull that rubber boot all the way out, and with a bearing puller you can get the carrier bearing out.

If you are replacing the carrier bearing, it's suggested to replace the flex disc (guibo) as well, because it softens over time.

Also be sure to pre-load that new center driveshaft bearing...

See 04:14...

Appreciate 1
wook0.00