BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-04-2016, 11:28 PM   #1
Level3
1/2 Asian Sensation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 e92 ZCP

Garage List
Popping sound from under dash - FIXED

I'm a relatively new 1 series owner. My cars a 2008 135i. Ever since I purchased it, it's had this thumping, popping, creaking sound whenever I would hit humps or dips at an angle. Only at an angle... straight on it wouldn't do it. I thought it might be a subframe bolt or something because it made the noise when the cars body would flex going into dips and stuff. Anyways, the sound seemed to be coming from somewhere in or under my dash. I was pretty certain it wasn't anything suspension related. After looking ALL OVER for anything loose underneath I checked the the brace that runs in a V in the engine bay... sure enough... these bad boys were loose. I gave them a good tightening and hopped in to test. Sound gone. WHEW! So anyways, if you have similar symptoms... perhaps it's these bolts. Sorry, I have no idea what these bolts are called or attached to... some sort of brace. (I'm a car n00b). Picture below shows the ones I tightened.

Last edited by Level3; 05-05-2016 at 12:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2016, 11:52 PM   #2
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Good job on the write-up. Fyi the picture you posted is of a n55, some people may get confused since you stated you have an 08 which uses the n54. Nonetheless good job.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 12:04 AM   #3
Level3
1/2 Asian Sensation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 e92 ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
Good job on the write-up. Fyi the picture you posted is of a n55, some people may get confused since you stated you have an 08 which uses the n54. Nonetheless good job.
Oopsies, you're right. I just scanned pics on the web and found a good one that showed those braces good. Fixed with correct engine... but applies to either... n54 or n55.
      08-12-2019, 08:21 AM   #4
WindUp
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Every day I pull into a parking lot that causes the body to flex and get a "pop" or a "thump" in the area of the dashboard. It is strong enough to be felt in the steering wheel. Can someone post a picture of which bolts I need to tighten under the car? TIA
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 06:25 PM   #5
Bam002
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 Dinan M5, Stage 2 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level3 View Post
I'm a relatively new 1 series owner. My cars a 2008 135i. Ever since I purchased it, it's had this thumping, popping, creaking sound whenever I would hit humps or dips at an angle. Only at an angle... straight on it wouldn't do it. I thought it might be a subframe bolt or something because it made the noise when the cars body would flex going into dips and stuff. Anyways, the sound seemed to be coming from somewhere in or under my dash. I was pretty certain it wasn't anything suspension related. After looking ALL OVER for anything loose underneath I checked the the brace that runs in a V in the engine bay... sure enough... these bad boys were loose. I gave them a good tightening and hopped in to test. Sound gone. WHEW! So anyways, if you have similar symptoms... perhaps it's these bolts. Sorry, I have no idea what these bolts are called or attached to... some sort of brace. (I'm a car n00b). Picture below shows the ones I tightened.

can we get a repost of the photo?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 02:29 PM   #6
WindUp
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

I got under the car and found the bolts that hold the brace on the underside of the car. I'm afraid to over-torque them and snap them off. How many pound feet of torque should I put in those bolts? A lot of them thread into the aluminum subframe in the front.
Appreciate 0