BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-11-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Tail Light Issue (Solution...?)

So a few months ago... back in April or so I had my car go into the shop for a recall of the tail lights which they put new seals to keep water (moisture) out. However after a couple months I am starting to notice moisture and residue that dries up on the inside of my tail lights...

I am going to bring it in to the dealer to ask about it, but what are the chances that they will replace the entire tail light since they have already replaced the seals..? I would hate for my warranty to go out and the seals to fail again and blow out my lights.

If in fact they do warrant a replace do you think I could convince my SM to go ahead and put in the new LCI lights?
      09-12-2011, 01:48 AM   #2
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '14 435i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
So a few months ago... back in April or so I had my car go into the shop for a recall of the tail lights which they put new seals to keep water (moisture) out. However after a couple months I am starting to notice moisture and residue that dries up on the inside of my tail lights...

I am going to bring it in to the dealer to ask about it, but what are the chances that they will replace the entire tail light since they have already replaced the seals..? I would hate for my warranty to go out and the seals to fail again and blow out my lights.

If in fact they do warrant a replace do you think I could convince my SM to go ahead and put in the new LCI lights?
They replaced my seals too, but my one light still went out after they did that.. And I noticed moisture in the one light by the tubes that didn't go out so it might be related..

So make a fuss and get them to replace it if you can.

Regarding LCI instead of the replacements; No I tried that LOL...They say they have to replace with same parts.. So I purchased LCI and told them to install those instead of the old ones when I take it in Then give me the brand new pre-LCI lights in a box.

But I had already DIY'd my LCI tail lights, and they wouldn't just give me my new pre-LCI tail light parts :/ So i had to change them back to pre-LCI, book+ take the car in, then give them my LCI lights, let them install them, and then let them give me the new pair of pre-LCI tail lights...lol

You may have better luck though
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

BMW changed the internal design of how the LED tubes attached inside of the tail light lens. This changed occured in Dec, 2010. IF your tail ights were installed before this date... they most likely will fail. I had both of mine replaced in Jan, 2011 - even though only one side was defective. I have no problems with condensation - never did though.

My dealer told me that BMW requires them to make a print out of the LED failure with the car hooked up to the GT1 scan tool. I think this is why dealer just can't give you new tails IF you have gone with the new LCI ones. IF you paid for new tails COD - you should still have a two year parts warranty on the part(s).

Appreciate 0
      09-12-2011, 05:12 PM   #4
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aacabriolet View Post
They replaced my seals too, but my one light still went out after they did that.. And I noticed moisture in the one light by the tubes that didn't go out so it might be related..

So make a fuss and get them to replace it if you can.

Regarding LCI instead of the replacements; No I tried that LOL...They say they have to replace with same parts.. So I purchased LCI and told them to install those instead of the old ones when I take it in Then give me the brand new pre-LCI lights in a box.

But I had already DIY'd my LCI tail lights, and they wouldn't just give me my new pre-LCI tail light parts :/ So i had to change them back to pre-LCI, book+ take the car in, then give them my LCI lights, let them install them, and then let them give me the new pair of pre-LCI tail lights...lol

You may have better luck though
Thanks for the responses guys. I am hoping to have my car in by the end of the week and will see what they can do for me. I just don't want to get another set of lights that will fail or need to be sealed...

I have already had multiple problems with my car caused by the dealer so hopefully they will consider this option of new tail lights which I believe are 300$ USD for the set?

Just got off the phone with my SM and he told me they are going to order new tail lights to fix the issue when I go in and they check out the moisture. I am going to see then if I can just swap them out since their is little - no difference in price?

Last edited by Satalite; 09-12-2011 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 03:02 AM   #5
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '14 435i Coupe

Thing is motorplan pays them to replace with existing part, not for diff part numbers so not sure if they will get reimbursed.. Sure they can come up with a plan though.
Appreciate 0