BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-05-2022, 09:51 AM   #1
Grainwashed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

M3 control arms + monoball bushings

Anyone done this? Seems like a no-brainer to me if its possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 10:41 AM   #2
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park

Not sure if you mean front, rear, or both. I did front M3 arms and I also have spherical/monoball bushings in the front tension strut. It feels a lot better than the stock setup. Turn in response is very sharp. I have only done part of the rears, being spherical spring/camber arm bushings (from kit Bimmerworld) and a bimmerworld spherical toe arm. I have not messed with the remaining 2 rear arms yet.

Fe1rx has a very detailed writeup:
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1615006
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 04:34 PM   #3
Grainwashed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootloops View Post
Not sure if you mean front, rear, or both. I did front M3 arms and I also have spherical/monoball bushings in the front tension strut. It feels a lot better than the stock setup. Turn in response is very sharp. I have only done part of the rears, being spherical spring/camber arm bushings (from kit Bimmerworld) and a bimmerworld spherical toe arm. I have not messed with the remaining 2 rear arms yet.

Fe1rx has a very detailed writeup:
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1615006
Sorry i wasnt more specific. I meant the front control arms. I was looking at the Dinan spherical bushing kit because I've heard around (and also in that writeup) that there have been some buyers having problems with the bimmerworld kit
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 03:56 AM   #4
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
I have Turners monoball for front control arms. They can add some vibration/harshness at top speed (100+ mph) but overall they are very responsive and taking turns is very satisfying.
      06-06-2022, 12:33 PM   #5
wootloops
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainwashed View Post
Sorry i wasnt more specific. I meant the front control arms. I was looking at the Dinan spherical bushing kit because I've heard around (and also in that writeup) that there have been some buyers having problems with the bimmerworld kit
Due to reported issues with other brands (BW, Turner) I went with German Auto Solutiuons. Their design is very similar to Dinan, but less expensive and can be ordered pre-isntalled into new arms. Highly recommend them. I know a few others running the same and none of us have had issues.

https://germanautosolutions.com/stor...ntrol-arms-v2/
Appreciate 4
Biginboca3763.50
WrathOTM542.50
houtan707.00
      07-21-2022, 01:15 AM   #6
135i_Life
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135is

Just installed a set of these GAS monoballs - hoping to get a chance to test them out this weekend. I pressed out the m3 bushings in the trw arms I have and pressed these in without much trouble. They seem good quality and the amount of thought that went into their supplied install kit for this price point was a nice touch.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2022, 04:30 PM   #7
135i_Life
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135is

I gained a very small amount of negative camber after installing this, about .1 from removal of spring rate in the bushing, but ride seems very compliant, hope to give a good test after alignment next week.

Last edited by 135i_Life; 07-21-2022 at 09:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 09:27 PM   #8
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Anyone done this? Seems like a no-brainer to me if its possible.
You can install the SPL caster rod bushing in your factory none M control arms if you ball joint end is still sound. The lower control arm can be upgraded to M3 which has a bearing in it already.

https://www.hpashop.com/SPL-Front-No...L-CRBN-E9X.htm

Adjustable version for more or less caster or just simply to square up the car:

https://www.hpashop.com/SPL-Adjustab...8X-SPL-FKS.htm
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 02:29 AM   #9
woahitsholland
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
I might be a bit late on this but have you heard of burkhart engineering in Germany? I have TONS of chassis parts (all of them haha) from them, made by Millway, and they make SICK under-chassis parts that are for the e82 e90 and so on. They kick ass and they ship worldwide and their prices are totally cool. It’s all top-notch performance parts. A lot of stuff no one else sells, especially in the US. They even have all the nice lithium batteries and racing parts I haven’t seen anywhere else ever. You should check them out for options if you haven’t already done the e9x m3 arms. Those are great, but I’d totally recommend doing all the rest of the stuff with the e9x m3 millway subframe bits. It made my cars handling insane. Burkhart was one of the best things I’ve ever discovered lol. Cheers and good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 03:17 PM   #10
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by woahitsholland View Post
I might be a bit late on this but have you heard of burkhart engineering in Germany? I have TONS of chassis parts (all of them haha) from them, made by Millway, and they make SICK under-chassis parts that are for the e82 e90 and so on. They kick ass and they ship worldwide and their prices are totally cool. It’s all top-notch performance parts. A lot of stuff no one else sells, especially in the US. They even have all the nice lithium batteries and racing parts I haven’t seen anywhere else ever. You should check them out for options if you haven’t already done the e9x m3 arms. Those are great, but I’d totally recommend doing all the rest of the stuff with the e9x m3 millway subframe bits. It made my cars handling insane. Burkhart was one of the best things I’ve ever discovered lol. Cheers and good luck
FWIW, I purchased directly from Millway.
      08-16-2022, 12:39 AM   #11
woahitsholland
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
FWIW, I purchased directly from Millway.
Nice! They’re definitely a friggin amazing company at making performance suspension-parts. It was a HUGE difference in handling and the way the road feels and I never thought it would be such an important suspension upgrade They look awesome too because they’re black with the little brand labels on each piece. People always ask me where I got them haha. Sometimes I’ll get lost on that burkhart site I mentioned because they sell soooooo many race and performance parts that no one in the US typically has or never has at all. They sell those sick lithium batteries that are just shiny black with gold hardware and look super clean, and then they have the LithiumNext race, track, and street batteries too. They also have cool nets and Matt’s for people with cages to have the seats down or removed and still look good. There’s a lot of interesting parts that I could spend hours just looking at stuff for friends’ cars I’m helping them build as well hahaha.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 07:35 AM   #12
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by woahitsholland View Post
Nice! TheyÂ’re definitely a friggin amazing company at making performance suspension-parts. It was a HUGE difference in handling and the way the road feels and I never thought it would be such an important suspension upgrade They look awesome too because theyÂ’re black with the little brand labels on each piece. People always ask me where I got them haha. Sometimes IÂ’ll get lost on that burkhart site I mentioned because they sell soooooo many race and performance parts that no one in the US typically has or never has at all. They sell those sick lithium batteries that are just shiny black with gold hardware and look super clean, and then they have the LithiumNext race, track, and street batteries too. They also have cool nets and MattÂ’s for people with cages to have the seats down or removed and still look good. ThereÂ’s a lot of interesting parts that I could spend hours just looking at stuff for friendsÂ’ cars IÂ’m helping them build as well hahaha.
I had forgotten about Burkhart Engineering before reading your post and after checking them out their replacement 135i brake caliper pistons are now on my list. About half the price of a Stoptech replacement set. Thanks!