BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-14-2015, 01:31 PM   #1
Holtdahooligan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35d

Brake Fluid Concern

Hello. I recently bought a 09 135i coupe MT and plan to upgrade to (ECS) SS brake lines. I'd like to switch to either Motul 5.1 or 600 brake fluid. I will be using a power bleeder to get the job done and will be replacing the clutch delay valve at the same time. My question is: Since I will be draining the clutch system during the CDV install, is it safe to introduce either of these brake fluids to my clutch system? I know the upgraded brake lines can handle the fluid but I'm concerned that the clutch system can't. I don't know a whole lot about cars so I would appreciate any input on this subject. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 06:04 PM   #2
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

It should be fine. I believe the supply all comes from the same brake fluid reservoir. Just make sure that the pressure on the power bleeder is maintained. To help lessen the loss of fluid, keep the cap closed until you're ready for bleed.

One helpful tool is a rubber mallet. I usually tap the calipers a few times while bleeding to help get the air bubbles trapped inside the caliper out.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 06:36 PM   #3
Holtdahooligan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PUTT View Post
One helpful tool is a rubber mallet. I usually tap the calipers a few times while bleeding to help get the air bubbles trapped inside the caliper out.

Great suggestion, will do this. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 12:36 AM   #4
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

I had a nightmare of a time bleeding my clutch because I didn't know the proper technique.

The clutch/brake reservoir has a divider in it for brakefluid/clutch and the clutch divider is very high up. That means you basically have to keep your fluid level above max while clutch bleeding, or your clutch will run dry.

Proper way to do it is to fill up your pressure bleeder with fluid and that keep it above max. Even after getting a clear stream of fresh fluid from the clutch bleed screw, your clutch pedal will still go to the floor. Just need to pump the clutch repeatedly and you'll see fluid moving from your power bleeder into the reservoir. When you get a firm pedal you're done.

Also if you want to be super pro with your brake flush you can use INPA to activate the DSC pumps so you can bleed the fluid out of your ABS system.