BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-07-2022, 07:13 PM   #1
Macj0hn
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128i Msport

*** edit *** it's the battery. When it gets too low, the short drop feature is forgotten. Getting a new battery and expect it to go away.

I have an 08 E82 coupe. The short drop feature on the windows constantly needs to be reset after being parked for anything longer than 5 min. I thought it might be the battery but it's sitting at 12.6V after sitting overnight in the driveway.

I'll get in, have to manually drop the window to close the door otherwise it hits the door trim and won't close (also risk breaking the glass). Then I roll it back up and start driving. I'll do the window reset (hold up for 10-15 seconds and hold down for same). It works great and when I park, both windows do the 1/4 drop as they are supposed to. Super happy.

But then I leave it parked and come back, open the door and no movement. If I need to close the door without starting the car and resetting it again, I have to carefully push on the window as I close the door so it slips into the trim without hitting it. Very frustrating. And as I said, every time I go to drive, I have to leave the drivers door open, wait for the electronics to kick in, roll down the window a bit then close the door. Sucks in the rain.

Anyone else have a car that keeps forgetting the short drop instructions and needs to be reset every time you use it?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 08:07 PM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

That's just strange. Any chance it is doing something like not even realizing the door is being opened? Do you get any interior lights on, a chime if you still have the key inserted, thigns like that?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 08:17 PM   #3
Macj0hn
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
That's just strange. Any chance it is doing something like not even realizing the door is being opened? Do you get any interior lights on, a chime if you still have the key inserted, thigns like that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post

Unfortunately/fortunately the door knows it's open. If I reset it right away, it starts working properly again. And if I drive an hour to work, turn off the car and get out, it still works. It will keep working if I get back in the car within a few minutes too. As long as power is running or had been running for a while, the memory sticks.

Only if it's turned off for a 5-10 minutes or more does it forget the process. That's why I thought it was the battery.
Appreciate 0