BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-01-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
akmana
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Clear Coat

I have a BSM 135 and the clear coats on these cars is a f*cking disgrace. I will never buy another black car. As i was drying the car this morning i could see it swirling. I was using a brand new microfiber. I have tried a microfiber chamois and absorber towel and all of them swirl. Can someone please provide me with some guidance.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
Qunadry
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Never use anything other than 100% cotton towels. Also, do not use any type of fabric softener when you wash them. If you use new towels, wash at least three times to remove any chemicals from the manufacturing process.

You will most likely have to clay bar, polish and wax to get rid of the swirl marks. Dark colors are hard to maintain (my 135i is Monaco Blue metallic) but worth the effort.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
I used Eagle One Wax-as-U-Dry. Works wonders on a black car. Even after swirling.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 09:05 PM   #4
04Enthusiast
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Cpe

I have a Jet Black 128i and I feel you pain. I have yet to buy a microfiber towel that did not cause swirling. I use Menzerna Final Polish II to remove the swirls and Menzerna FMJ for protection. After trying microfiber towels and waffle towels I switched back to using The Absorber to dry my car off. I cut up a high quality 100% bath towel to wash my car using the two bucket method. One bucket for clean water to rinse you towel and the other bucket for your soap. As I am washing my car I have a constant stream of water on or by the towel as I am cleaning.

And yes, I'll will never buy a black car again.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Zaino - it will prevent the swirls. Three times per year and you are done with swirls.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #6
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Zaino - it will prevent the swirls. Three times per year and you are done with swirls.
Zaino will not prevent swirls, sorry, been there, done that.

If you used a new microfiber, I hope you washed it first.

Next, the best way to minimize swirls is to blot the car dry with the microfiber.
      08-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

You've had good advice, I have two non metallic paints, including Jet Black and know it can be tricky to avoid swirls. Skip the cotton towels though, I was a holdout for years until switching to waffle weave microfiber, and I've had much better luck than the most well worn, softest cotton towels.

Make sure you're not using dryer sheets, that you've thoroughly cleaned and rinsed your car and that you're not applying direct pressure when wiping. Use a second waffle weave to blot any standing water and rinse it often, using the second towel to lightly dry any remaining water. If you're still getting swirls, I'd guess that you have very hard water, consider a water filter, they make ones that attach to a hose reel that do a pretty good job. You can't go wrong with using too many towels and frequently rinsing your blotting towels. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

The other option is to go one step further...use a leaf blower and blow off the water instead of using any towels. My father does this on his Audi S5 and swears by it. I still get good results with a microfibre towel myself.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 12:51 AM   #9
supraking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2009 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Wash carefully with sheepskin and blot dry. My monaco blue 1er is a month and a half old and I've got some light swirling so far, but it's not excessive. 2 polishes a year and you should be good, if you're getting a lot more swirling than that you're doing something wrong...

But hey, dark colors may be a pain to keep swirl free, but they look absolutely stunning when washed and waxed. No matter how someone polishes and waxes a light color like silver, it will never look as wet and ultra-sexy as ours
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 05:04 AM   #10
nikku
Detailing Nerd
Canada
Rep
Drives: Infiniti G35

1. Use two buckets to wash your vehicle ( quality products sheepskin, etc.). Use very minimal amount of pressure when washing the paint. Let the chemicals and cleaners do the work for you and definitely follow the dwell time instructions for some of these cleaners.

2. Sheet the water so you do less drying and less chance of causing micro marring.

3. Use quality waffle weave or non waffle weave microfiber towels. From my experience I have yet to find quality over the counter towels at local stores. When using a drying towel instead of pulling if you know your clear is very soft try blotting as members have mentioned in above posts.

Good luck !
Appreciate 0