BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-07-2020, 06:43 AM   #1
Upshotbravo
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Alignment settings after suspension overhaul/upgrade

Hi Guys,

Doing a bit of an upgrade on my 2012 135i next week. Just waiting on one last part getting in.

Bilstein B14 PSS Kit (also an ECS coilover/cup install Kit)
E93 front swaybar/install kit and new endlinks
Dinan camber plates
1M/M3 control arms, front and rear (GAS monoball kit for the fronts)
New tie rod assemblies
New rear wheel bearings
New rear tires (fronts have 60% or better) Michelin pilot sport as3+ all around

Already have 1M/M3 subframe bushings in the car. Not that it is relevant but doing new pads and rotors all around at the same time.

The car has 90,000km on it (~55,000 miles)

Obviously it will need an alignment after all this. Was wondering what you guys would suggest?

The car is used for quite aggressive street and highway driving, lots of twisties here in coastal BC Canada. usually one or two track day events a year. Would like to dial out understeer, get sharp turn in but maintain high speed stability. I do daily the car but my commute is very short... about 10mins on good roads. i should mention i dont drive this car in the winter very much. So im looking for an aggressive setup but with a degree of safety and driveability in mind.

Thoughts?

PS any thoughts on ride height settings? I read somewhere that the dinan plates help keep the front from sitting too low on the B14s but i would like to see a bit of rake and im pretty patient with f@&$ing speed bumps.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 10:05 AM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upshotbravo View Post
Hi Guys,

Doing a bit of an upgrade on my 2012 135i next week. Just waiting on one last part getting in.

Bilstein B14 PSS Kit (also an ECS coilover/cup install Kit)
E93 front swaybar/install kit and new endlinks
Dinan camber plates
1M/M3 control arms, front and rear (GAS monoball kit for the fronts)
New tie rod assemblies
New rear wheel bearings
New rear tires (fronts have 60% or better) Michelin pilot sport as3+ all around

Already have 1M/M3 subframe bushings in the car. Not that it is relevant but doing new pads and rotors all around at the same time.

The car has 90,000km on it (~55,000 miles)

Obviously it will need an alignment after all this. Was wondering what you guys would suggest?

The car is used for quite aggressive street and highway driving, lots of twisties here in coastal BC Canada. usually one or two track day events a year. Would like to dial out understeer, get sharp turn in but maintain high speed stability. I do daily the car but my commute is very short... about 10mins on good roads. i should mention i dont drive this car in the winter very much. So im looking for an aggressive setup but with a degree of safety and driveability in mind.

Thoughts?

PS any thoughts on ride height settings? I read somewhere that the dinan plates help keep the front from sitting too low on the B14s but i would like to see a bit of rake and im pretty patient with f@&$ing speed bumps.
Shoot for -2.2 to -2.5 degrees camber front, zero toe. Rear shoot for -1.8 camber, 1/8-3/16" total toe in.

Tires are important for turn in.

Once you get a LSD you'll want to go back to stock front bar, if not before. Play around with it. I ran barless up front with my TCK SA kit for a long time with adequate front camber. A big front bar like that with high front spring rates will increase understeer. Body roll is a good thing for grip!

Have fun!
      05-07-2020, 08:01 PM   #3
Upshotbravo
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Shoot for -2.2 to -2.5 degrees camber front, zero toe. Rear shoot for -1.8 camber, 1/8-3/16" total toe in.

Tires are important for turn in.

Once you get a LSD you'll want to go back to stock front bar, if not before. Play around with it. I ran barless up front with my TCK SA kit for a long time with adequate front camber. A big front bar like that with high front spring rates will increase understeer. Body roll is a good thing for grip!

Have fun!
Thanks very much! Appreciate the advice. Have read so many opinions on the swaybar that i decided to try it... its not too tough to remove later if i find i dont care for it.
Appreciate 0