BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-11-2016, 03:48 PM   #45
Broken135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Black 6 Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_N55 View Post
My buddies 2011 335i was doing the same exact thing. Blowing coolant out at high load, no oil or gas smell no mis fire. Bmw replaced every possible thing ended up being a stripped head stud bolt, bmw replaced his motor. Take it with a gain of salt since I didn't personally talk to the tech and heard it second hand a few years back. It first started after installing JB4 running map 5 on e40. The car had 25k ish miles bought it CPO a week before it started.
:s i was kinda thinking the same thing, perhaps i should pull the valve cover and see whats up! Gonna test for combustion gases today
      12-11-2016, 03:50 PM   #46
Broken135i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post
They sell a kit at auto part stores with a liquid that tests for combustion in the coolant (which you would have if your gasket was leaking) might be worth a try
NAPA sells a kit like that...

NAPA #700-1006
Leak Detector Kit / Engine Block, Test Tools Inc

OP - have you tried going to a BMW dealer and asking for a print out of the car's history at all US bmw dealers. Something sounds fishy - since you have only owned the car for a month. Also have them check for the "vanos" recall(IF it was done) that all "early"(<2013) N55's. (but I don't see how that could cause a blown head gasket).

It sure sounds like your HG is leaking. Maybe remove the oil filter cap and make sure coolant is not leaking/mixing in with the oil. Its time like these I wish our cars had a oil dip stick.

Good Luck,
Dackel
No milkshake yet! I should go to a dealer and get the history- good idea! Perhaps if they do the vanos bolt recall they can check the headbolts while they're in there!
      12-11-2016, 11:55 PM   #47
Broken135i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
They sell a kit at auto part stores with a liquid that tests for combustion in the coolant (which you would have if your gasket was leaking) might be worth a try
NAPA sells a kit like that...

NAPA #700-1006
Leak Detector Kit / Engine Block, Test Tools Inc

OP - have you tried going to a BMW dealer and asking for a print out of the car's history at all US bmw dealers. Something sounds fishy - since you have only owned the car for a month. Also have them check for the "vanos" recall(IF it was done) that all "early"(<2013) N55's. (but I don't see how that could cause a blown head gasket).

It sure sounds like your HG is leaking. Maybe remove the oil filter cap and make sure coolant is not leaking/mixing in with the oil. Its time like these I wish our cars had a oil dip stick.

Good Luck,
Dackel
So i got to talking with my friend who's been in the bmw game for like 20+ years that owns a local shop, he told me to bring it by his shop when im off work tomorrow and he'll fire up his gas analyzer for me and sniff the gasses that whoosh out of my cap when i open it after driving the fuck out of it HOT. I guess we shall see, gonna buy a Honda Civic as a beater if it tests positive and theres no broken/loose headbolts :s F$&@
      12-12-2016, 07:04 AM   #48
Sam_M
Tea wot?
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 135i 6MT

Could be a stuck thermostat, i.e. stuck shut, not opening when it should putting additional pressure into the system.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 02:05 PM   #49
Lamar Vannoy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i, 2016 328d

I have a similar issue with my Jetta TDI, think boost pressure is lifting the head slightly and pushing into the coolant. There's no coolant in oil or vise versa. I am going to try replacing the head bolts as it's likely the issue is that one or more has stretched in the 200k miles it has and hopefully avoid a head gasket job.

My cooling system holds pressure and leak is coming from the overflow...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 02:44 PM   #50
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM_UK View Post
Could be a stuck thermostat, i.e. stuck shut, not opening when it should putting additional pressure into the system.
The DME would store a code for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Vannoy View Post
I have a similar issue with my Jetta TDI, think boost pressure is lifting the head slightly and pushing into the coolant. There's no coolant in oil or vise versa. I am going to try replacing the head bolts as it's likely the issue is that one or more has stretched in the 200k miles it has and hopefully avoid a head gasket job.

The problem is... coolant is under 1bar (max pressure) before the cap opens up. Engine oil is under 5bar(max). So... IF your head gasket is leaking... you will have oil in the coolant. Not vice versa. Btw... TDi's use stretch head bolts(I believe) so you will need new ones. And use a good quality triple square bit with a good tq wrench. I would change the HG is your gonna do new head bolts. But I think your problem is elsewhere.

Use a pressure tester for the res cap AND cooling system(exp tank/hoses etc) for leaks.

OP... that NAPA HG tester is better bc the fluid will change color when CO2 is introduced to the coolant. Using a CO2 "sniffer" might work. It also might not... especially since you only have this coolant leaking problem under heavy boost.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 07:42 PM   #51
Broken135i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM_UK View Post
The DME would store a code for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamar Vannoy View Post

The problem is... coolant is under 1bar (max pressure) before the cap opens up. Engine oil is under 5bar(max). So... IF your head gasket is leaking... you will have oil in the coolant. Not vice versa. Btw... TDi's use stretch head bolts(I believe) so you will need new ones. And use a good quality triple square bit with a good tq wrench. I would change the HG is your gonna do new head bolts. But I think your problem is elsewhere.

Use a pressure tester for the res cap AND cooling system(exp tank/hoses etc) for leaks.

OP... that NAPA HG tester is better bc the fluid will change color when CO2 is introduced to the coolant. Using a CO2 "sniffer" might work. It also might not... especially since you only have this coolant leaking problem under heavy boost.

Dack
Sooo this is it
Attached Images

12-12-2016, 11:00 PM   #52
Broken135i
Private
Rep

Iv read most shops will be 100% without a doubt certain if they read anything over 100 ppm Of HC... can anyone get me torque values for reassembly..? Or does anyone know of a write up, i have SEARCHED but it seems im the only person trying to pull their N55 cylinder head off....
      12-13-2016, 01:25 PM   #53
Lamar Vannoy
Private
Rep

Quote:

Dack
Yes, TTY bolts. I am picking up new ones today and @ $25/set, I will replace those one at a time before paying labor on HG. Shop pressurized the system overnight and it held before driving around with gauge hooked up. They have a video of pressure building when on boost. Shop also tested coolant for combustion and was negative.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10538.50
      12-13-2016, 01:58 PM   #54
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken135i View Post
Iv read most shops will be 100% without a doubt certain if they read anything over 100 ppm Of HC... can anyone get me torque values for reassembly..? Or does anyone know of a write up, i have SEARCHED but it seems im the only person trying to pull their N55 cylinder head off....
I haven't seen any threads on 1Addicts for DIY head gasket repair. Sorry to hear about your results... but at least you know your HG is bad.

I would also replace the oil filter housing gasket and de-carbon the head/valves while the head is off the car. And take a good look at the valve cover bc those can develop cracks.

OFH gasket DIY...
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476419

You might check over on the e90post.com forum. But I tried a few searches and did not come up with any DIY threads on head gasket repairs.

Good Luck,
Dackel

PS: Please keep us updated. We all can learn from this tough situation.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 04:18 PM   #55
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i M-Sport

Well I've had to deal several times with blown head gaskets. This video is a little long winded, but the guy points out that fixing the problem may involve more than replacing the head gasket. It could be a warped block or head. Maybe a bad or cracked valve or ?

I suspect this engine has been run very hard, and maybe tinkered or tampered using after market performance junk like a JB4.

According to the owner, if he drives it sanely, there doesn't seem to be any problem, or at least it isn't blowing any coolant. He could likely trade it off to an unsuspecting dealer for another car. It may very well be the way to go depending upon how much your conscience might bother you.

My own experiences were very expensive mainly due to old German cars. I had to have both the block and head resurfaced and all the valves and seats replaced. I had to pull the engine and tear it down. What I'm saying is the repair may involve more that pulling the head and replacing the HG.

That's why my philosophy is to enjoy the car but don't flog it every chance you get unless you have very deep pockets.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 05:53 PM   #56
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

If I had a blown head gasket issue, I would at a minimum, have the head checked at a machine shop to ensure the mating surface is fine. The extra check to me is money well spent to ensure piece of mind. As going back in again isn't a simple matter in terms of all the labor involved.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2016, 06:07 PM   #57
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
If I had a blown head gasket issue, I would at a minimum, have the head checked at a machine shop to ensure the mating surface is fine. The extra check to me is money well spent to ensure piece of mind. As going back in again isn't a simple matter in terms of all the labor involved.
Yes, do this. It's extremely important. If your HG let go because of overheating there can be warpage, if it let go because of detonation there can be all kinds of other damage that may not be visible like cracking...although if you blew your head gasket from detonation which is fairly unlikely in these cars you've probably got some other obvious concerns.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 08:14 PM   #58
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

If you replace the head gasket and end up having the head resurfaced Bmw has thicker head gaskets to make up the difference (this way you don't end up increasing the compression). There are specific specs on how much material to remove etc... if the gasket is blown then If say chances are the heads warped
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2016, 08:33 PM   #59
Broken135i
Private
Rep

Quote:
If you replace the head gasket and end up having the head resurfaced Bmw has thicker head gaskets to make up the difference (this way you don't end up increasing the compression). There are specific specs on how much material to remove etc... if the gasket is blown then If say chances are the heads warped
Haha yes everyone, i know the routine (iv blown more headgaskets in 2 years than you guys have owned cars your entire lives!)

Its looking like the dealership (not bmw) may actually take some steps to help cover the costs!

They asked i bring a quote and a statement from bmw (even though i already diagnosed the problem) what the problem is and how much it would cost to fix if:

1. The head gasket only needs to be changed (plus machining where required )

2. The head needs replacement

3. The block needs replacement
      12-13-2016, 08:34 PM   #60
Broken135i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken135i View Post
Quote:
Haha yes everyone, i know the routine (iv blown more headgaskets in 2 years than you guys have owned cars your entire lives!)

Its looking like the dealership (not bmw) may actually take some steps to help cover the costs!

They asked i bring a quote and a statement from bmw what the problem is and how may it would cost to fix if:

1. The head gasket only needs to be changed (plus machining where required )

2. The head needs replacement

3. The block needs replacement
Holy crap thats the best emoji ever!
      12-23-2016, 03:57 PM   #61
Broken135i
Private
Rep

Bmw is trying to tell me i have a stuck thermostat :/ they said they found a similar bmw tested at idle ran 8-10 degrees cooler than my car :/ is that seriously the conclusion they're going to draw? It sounds like they're just throwing parts at it cause no one wants to believe a head gasket/crack somewhere :/
      12-23-2016, 04:22 PM   #62
HyeWarrior
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

It honestly could be. And a thermostat is only like a $150 part
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 05:15 PM   #63
Broken135i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
It honestly could be. And a thermostat is only like a $150 part
Even with the car only ever hitting 95 degrees C while driving it hard? Only once i let off does the temperature rise up to 112 degrees C?
      12-24-2016, 12:16 PM   #64
Broken135i
Private
Rep

Here is what they gave me... they tried to tell me i needed a water pump, i told them iv already looked into that and its not the case. They came back and said oops never mind, it stored a code because the coolant level was low and the pump actually doesn't need to be replaced :/
Attached Images

12-25-2016, 12:00 PM   #65
Silenus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

What a shitty diagnosis.

Rip off the cylinder head cover and see if there is a broken head bolt.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 10:25 AM   #66
Lamar Vannoy
Private
Rep

Head bolts fixed the issue on my Jetta, might be worth a shot...
Appreciate 0