BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-15-2020, 11:58 PM   #23
bchalks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olgeezer1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchalks View Post
I agree with ShocknAwe, what are your goals?

If you're tracking the car: Get a CSF radiator and put a couple bottles of water wetter in. Swapping out the radiator is not hard and you will never run into coolant problems again. It is a "one n done" modification that I personally really like.

Another thing you can do is run an MHD flash tune to lower your target coolant temps.
Wondering about upgrading to a CSF radiator. As I understand it, coolant temps. are controlled completely by computer module so would the CSF radiator actually lower my operating temps. or do I have to do some coding(something I know nothing about) as mentioned above.
No coding necessary. The CSF radiator is plug n play. Your operating temps might take a little longer to "come up to temp" but likely not noticeable in your climate. The DME will do all the work for you.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 11:10 AM   #24
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
Quote:
No coding necessary. The CSF radiator is plug n play. Your operating temps might take a little longer to "come up to temp" but likely not noticeable in your climate. The DME will do all the work for you.
Thanks for your response. I guess what I'm really asking is about the CSF's effect on normal running temps. I typically see 100 degrees C (212 degrees Fahrenheit) cruising, which dips to maybe 85 C when I'm pushing. I can see how the CSF would help prevent overheating on a track day but what I'm after is getting my cruising temps. down to the 85-90 C area. Wondering if the CSF will help with that or if something like the MHD flash tune mentioned earlier would be necessary to lower cruising temps.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 11:34 AM   #25
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olgeezer1 View Post
Thanks for your response. I guess what I'm really asking is about the CSF's effect on normal running temps. I typically see 100 degrees C (212 degrees Fahrenheit) cruising, which dips to maybe 85 C when I'm pushing. I can see how the CSF would help prevent overheating on a track day but what I'm after is getting my cruising temps. down to the 85-90 C area. Wondering if the CSF will help with that or if something like the MHD flash tune mentioned earlier would be necessary to lower cruising temps.
I think the ECU is going to tell the car to get to whatever it considers to be the appropriate temperature. I think the benefit of a better radiator would be the water pump would have to work less and therefore may last longer.
      04-16-2020, 12:59 PM   #26
bchalks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

I agree with gjm120. The computers have a "target" temp they are trying to hit so you will not see lower numbers while cruising unless you modify these "target" numbers in the DME.

You can use MHD to lower your target temps regardless of whether or not you upgrade the radiator.
Appreciate 2
Olgeezer1177.00
lab_rat394.50
      04-16-2020, 04:16 PM   #27
Olgeezer1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6MT Sport Pkg. 18"

Garage List
Quote:
I agree with gjm120. The computers have a "target" temp they are trying to hit so you will not see lower numbers while cruising unless you modify these "target" numbers in the DME.

You can use MHD to lower your target temps regardless of whether or not you upgrade the radiator.
OK, that's pretty much what I'm coming to understand. Not really computer literate, know nothing about MHD but can talk to a local coding guy who should be aware of it. Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0