BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #23
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Artemis, above post: 1M is 4380 mm. length not 4373.
Also, none of the other cars actually have 50/50 weight distribution, more like around 52/48 like the 1M.
Accurate remark, Oz. Size matters. Corrected it.

Source of the inaccurate 1M length figure: http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/05/13/bmw-1m-full-specs/.

Attached: specs excerpt from the official 1M catalogue.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW_1M_Specs.pdf (135.9 KB, 86 views)
      07-20-2014, 01:21 PM   #24
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
BMW would be fools to not bring out an M2.

As the hype around the M4/M3 fades a year to 18 months from now they will need a new benchmark vehicle to promote. In the past it has always been m3 and then the m5. But the 1m changed that...

They could sell tons of 1ms right now if it was still out, so I don't buy that the m4 takes its place.

There is definitely room for an m2 that will be 10-12k less than the m3/m4. (recall 1M at 48K base vs E92 at 59K base... E90 was slightly less at around 56K... also keep in mind that a maxxed out 1M at 54,995 was very close to the base E92 at 59K).

The m4 currently is about 3550 lbs, so it's still quite a bit heavier than a 1m. And the M2 should be at least 100 lbs lighter than the 1m.
i agree with you about pretty much all which you've stated, BUT you need to remember that profitability is the priority of BMW and not excitement at the moment. BMW are heavily exploring profitability issues these days----hence the new FWD 2-series and the focus on expanding SUVs through every range.

I would like to think an M2 is coming, but will continue to think there is a solid chance it will happen only as a limited edition due to concerns regarding profitability.

In order to understand this idea, you should realise that the E8X 1-series and now the F2X 1 and 2-series have never been very profitable cars for BMW. Their architectures are based on more expensive 3-series platforms and hence the costs of producing them are high and the profits are low. This is, in turn, the reason why the 2-series is switching partially to FWD and that the next generation 1-series will be entirely FWD. Cheaper to make and more profitable.

this is why they are issuing statements like this:
http://www.motoring.com.au/news/pres...billions-44267

"New drivetrain technologies, expanded production in the USA, South America and China, and the development of smaller BMW models and the new MINI range (pictured) have all played a part in eroding the company's profitability."
You shouldn't cut quotes off mid sentence.

"New drivetrain technologies, expanded production in the USA, South America and China, and the development of smaller BMW models and the new MINI range (pictured) have all played a part in eroding the company's profitability. It's a short-term problem, it would seem, with the added production output in the Americas and China aimed at increasing global vehicle sales from two million currently to 2.5 million in 2016. "
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 05:25 PM   #25
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI
Quote:

As the hype around the M4/M3 fades a year to 18 months from now they will need a new benchmark vehicle to promote. In the past it has always been m3 and then the m5. But the 1m changed that...

They could sell tons of 1ms right now if it was still out, so I don't buy that the m4 takes its place.

There is definitely room for an m2 that will be 10-12k less than the m3/m4. (recall 1M at 48K base vs E92 at 59K base... E90 was slightly less at around 56K... also keep in mind that a maxxed out 1M at 54,995 was very close to the base E92 at 59K).

The m4 currently is about 3550 lbs, so it's still quite a bit heavier than a 1m. And the M2 should be at least 100 lbs lighter than the 1m.
i agree with you about pretty much all which you've stated, BUT you need to remember that profitability is the priority of BMW and not excitement at the moment. BMW are heavily exploring profitability issues these days----hence the new FWD 2-series and the focus on expanding SUVs through every range.

I would like to think an M2 is coming, but will continue to think there is a solid chance it will happen only as a limited edition due to concerns regarding profitability.

In order to understand this idea, you should realise that the E8X 1-series and now the F2X 1 and 2-series have never been very profitable cars for BMW. Their architectures are based on more expensive 3-series platforms and hence the costs of producing them are high and the profits are low. This is, in turn, the reason why the 2-series is switching partially to FWD and that the next generation 1-series will be entirely FWD. Cheaper to make and more profitable.

this is why they are issuing statements like this:
http://www.motoring.com.au/news/pres...billions-44267

"New drivetrain technologies, expanded production in the USA, South America and China, and the development of smaller BMW models and the new MINI range (pictured) have all played a part in eroding the company's profitability."
You shouldn't cut quotes off mid sentence.

"New drivetrain technologies, expanded production in the USA, South America and China, and the development of smaller BMW models and the new MINI range (pictured) have all played a part in eroding the company's profitability. It's a short-term problem, it would seem, with the added production output in the Americas and China aimed at increasing global vehicle sales from two million currently to 2.5 million in 2016. "
doesn't change anything to add those sentences...nor did i stop anything "mid sentence"...lol

Last edited by IEDEI; 07-21-2014 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 05:37 PM   #26
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:

The M2 is coming. I saw two, just this past weekend in Munich!! Both werkstestwagen's had the M235iRacing fenders tacked on. Interesting enough both test cars sounded just like the early 1M prototypes.

One of the M2 test cars I saw had the normal swirly camo on it... but you could see on the trunk and hood it was sort of a burnt Sedona red color. Not Sedona Red, but more copper and flat in color. It looked good!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 06:23 PM   #27
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
you could see on the trunk and hood it was sort of a burnt Sedona red color. Not Sedona Red, but more copper and flat in color. It looked good!
Quite likely there will be a benchmark color for the M2 too, just like the 1M got Valencia Orange Metallic (http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=401). So that might have been the color that you saw.

Back in 2010 one of the 1M test mules was red and sported a black roof (wrap or CF, or is that a moon roof ?) (if the picture quality is reliable, this looks a shade too dark for being VO):

07-21-2014, 04:11 PM   #28
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
LOL. NO DOUBT.

However. Just go look at all the dumb Americans that posted how " ugly" the f20 1 series is and you can see why BMW won't bring the hatches here. Never mind that they sell Mini.
The F20 is super ugly in the front to me. Uh oh, I guess I'm dumb now

I liked the old E87 better. Would have loved to have the 130i here. Oh well
Appreciate 0