BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

09-16-2008, 05:22 PM   #89
sciamop
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235xi Convertible

Jalopnik and its 'commentors' are full of sh!t -- they only have affinity towards 5-door diesels, El Camino-ized sports cars, malaise-era barges and, most confounding, "Vulcan" V6 Ford Rangers/ Taurus/Tempos.

Whatever.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 05:09 PM   #90
whya1?
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
My last two cars were an E36 M3 and a WRX. The 1 series is faster than the M3 and you don't notice the handling differences until you start to lose grip. That is fixable with suspension bits. The WRX was bought to deal with snow.

So.. I did not come from a Camry and I doubt that most of the other posters here did if you look at the 'what did you own before' threads.

You suggest that a WRX and S2000 would be a better situation than a 135. Which one of these is going to be your daily driver? Which one is going to be for long trips? Which one is going to be your town car? The WRX is nice for the money but it's a raw choice and gets old every day. The S2000 is a nice sunny day car but what about when you're alongside a semi? Some like it for a daily car, most do not.

What do you like better for $36K? (what I paid for mine) An econobox and pure sports machine lacking in practical assets? Umm.. no thanks.
The WRX for daily driver/beater. Quick enough not to be boring and practical enough to be useful. The S2000 for any "fun" driving and weekend trips and autox/track days.

The point is that two used cars are better than 1 new car. No car can do everything; it can't be a GT, a sports car and a family hauler. You pay 36k for a 1 series and it is fast BUT it does not handle like a sports car and can't haul like a family car. 36k for a 135 is also a special order stripper with only sport and probably Euro delivery. Go to any dealership and find a 135 for under 40k.

If you want to keep things totally square I would say two NEW cars I would prefer is a Honda Fit and a Mazda Miata. Combined they are under 40k, or about the price or an averagely optioned 135. You have all the utility you want, plus an excellent handling convertible that you can have fun in. Sure, you won't win any drag races but you will have a ton of fun at legal speeds.

The insurance will be higher marginally but maintenance (since you are only putting half the miles on each car) should not be much at all. And once you are out of BMW warranty I expect them to be much less. The biggest cost will be depreciation but you will be WAYYY ahead getting two cheaper cars than a single BMW.

The FIT/Miata combo will be worth more simply because both cars hold their value better but also will have half the miles of the BMW. The BMW will have about 50k miles while each of the others will only have 25k.

If you expand the list to used cars there are almost infinite possibilities in car pairings for 40k. There is no reason to have one expensive car that trys to do everything but ultimately fails when you can get two cars that combined can do anything you possibly want.

PS I know the BMW has a nicer interior but if you are worrying and status and interior why are you getting an entry level 1 series instead of a used 3 or 5?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 05:12 PM   #91
whya1?
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
2 cars to insure and maintain - just so one of them can essentially be a toy. Unless you're rich enough not to care (in which case why by used cars?), that's the joke.
If you are rich enough to buy a 36-45k 1 series you better be rich enough to maintain two barely used cars. Unless you are leasing the 1 with your last dollar and eating PB&J every meal.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 05:22 PM   #92
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

Quote:
Originally Posted by whya1? View Post
PS I know the BMW has a nicer interior but if you are worrying and status and interior why are you getting an entry level 1 series instead of a used 3 or 5?
I think if anyone here was buying for image and interior, they should consider an Audi. I'm not at all knocking BMW, but Audi interiors rock!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 06:11 PM   #93
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
If you want to keep things totally square I would say two NEW cars I would prefer is a Honda Fit and a Mazda Miata. Combined they are under 40k, or about the price or an averagely optioned 135. You have all the utility you want, plus an excellent handling convertible that you can have fun in. Sure, you won't win any drag races but you will have a ton of fun at legal speeds.
I would rather have the 135i for my daily driver than a Honda Fit and I would rather have the 135i for the track than a Mazda Miata. I know the Miata has great handling, but it is just too girly and slow for my taste. In other words, I would rather have one nice car than two cheap cars.

Quote:
The WRX for daily driver/beater. Quick enough not to be boring and practical enough to be useful. The S2000 for any "fun" driving and weekend trips and autox/track days.
As was mentioned, it is more expensive to maintain two used cars than a 135i (which is free with the exception of tires). I would never feel comfortable driving the S2000 on the highway because of its small size and I would not want the WRX (too rough) for a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 06:25 PM   #94
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

Quote:

PS I know the BMW has a nicer interior but if you are worrying and status and interior why are you getting an entry level 1 series
LOL WUT?

the 1 series has a great interior, that is where we spend all our time in these cars you know, it's one of the most important things about a car IMO
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 08:26 PM   #95
Spook
Bring Bail Money
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

<snip>

If you want to live in a beater every day.. fine. I don't. They have too much noise, vibration, and roughness compared to the alternatives. Part of enjoying driving a decent quality GT is quiet, smoothness, and comfort. It's part of why they build them.

And in regards to your other comment, the part about if someone wants an interior with nicer materials and build quality it's for prestige? One can only say :bs: We're talking about a 1 series here.. not the proletariate reaching for the trappings of the bourgeoisie. 1 series drivers are not seeking status. They're seeking a fast car the blurs the edges of practical and fun. Of course, one would hope that you don't really think interiors have anything to do with status. More likely you were just seeking to propagate the BMW/ urban professional stereotype in an effort to be annoying. Whatever. I'm not drawn to the argument. Or to Honda Fit's.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 08:29 PM   #96
Spook
Bring Bail Money
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by uofmtiger View Post
I know the Miata has great handling, but it is just too girly and slow for my taste.
I have no opinion on this.. but it did crack me up. :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 11:54 PM   #97
Guibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Miata...Sure, you won't win any drag races but you will have a ton of fun at legal speeds.
Why even mention a Miata when just about any $1000 used motorcycle will give you many more thrills (and will win you a lot of drag races)? Ultimately, it doesn't make much sense to debate the value of a brand new car on the basis of what's available on the used market. A used Miata and Fit are horrible, horrible values, if fun+utility/$ is your only criteria.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2008, 03:18 PM   #98
napoletani99
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan, Space Grey, Sport

get out of traffic and take it to the country where you can open it up. boring is as boring does.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 10:42 AM   #99
LeoHammer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

It is as boring as being raped by 4 older-but-decently-shaped-women.
      09-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #100
emm3tt
Out Driving
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibo View Post
Why even mention a Miata when just about any $1000 used motorcycle will give you many more thrills (and will win you a lot of drag races)? Ultimately, it doesn't make much sense to debate the value of a brand new car on the basis of what's available on the used market. A used Miata and Fit are horrible, horrible values, if fun+utility/$ is your only criteria.
Disagree about the Miata. To be honest, I have more fun flogging my 93 Miata around corners than I do my 135i.

01 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2008, 12:24 PM   #101
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm3tt View Post
Disagree about the Miata. To be honest, I have more fun flogging my 93 Miata around corners than I do my 135i.
I think his point was that if all you wanted was one vehicle for utility and one only for fun, a motorcycle would give you more fun for less money than a Miata. After spending less on a motorcycle (when compared to a Miata) for your fun vehicle, you would be able to get a better utility vehicle than a Honda Fit with the money left over.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 02:04 AM   #102
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5/E92 335/HUMMER H2

Quote:
Originally Posted by x97Melbourne View Post
anyone who says the 135i is "boring" or "not fun" is either on crack, or probably has the automatic
If you think this. I know some companies that make a few things for the N54 that may change your mind :headbang:
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 05:03 PM   #103
whya1?
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by napoletani99 View Post
get out of traffic and take it to the country where you can open it up. boring is as boring does.
You are still bumping up against the fact that the limits of the 1 series are high that you can't legally have as much fun as in a lower powered car. There is a lot of truth to the adage "it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow"

True, the 135/335 is very fast. Undeniably. But how often can you plant your foot and really wind out the engine? Throw the car into a corner? The fun of the miata is that you can wind it out and throw the 2400lb car around a lot better than you can with a 3400lb 1 series.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 05:05 PM   #104
whya1?
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony@rissracing View Post
If you think this. I know some companies that make a few things for the N54 that may change your mind :headbang:
The car does not need to be faster in a straight line. Giving a open differential equipped car 400+hp has no point. Let me know when Riss Racing invents an anti-gravity device that makes the car 2500lbs.

Fun is more than a straight line from A to B.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 05:09 PM   #105
whya1?
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Motorcycles are fun but useless in practicality. I have owned bikes but they are only good for nice weather and you can only bring the most minimal of gear. Even a miata trunk dwarfs what you can bring on a bike.

I don't see how you can say a Miata/Fit combo is not good for fun+utility/$. Straightline speed holds no special appeal for me, both of those cars are quick enough. They are also lightweight and nimble. I prefer flogging slower cars that are engaging and have some soul to them. Like an old E30/E36 BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 06:02 PM   #106
robboblobbo
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

Honestly, is it me or are you guys a bunch of whiners. I don't know why you're on this forum unless you are either deciding whether to buy a 1-series or already own one. And, if you already own one and are sour grapes like some of you, too bad. Should've done your homework.

I know you're all smarter than me, but I love this car, feel great driving it and don't regret it at all. Would I like a Lambo or even a M6? Damn right, but I think I made a pretty good decision. And I think many owners here will agree about their own 1s. At least I hope so!
      09-22-2008, 06:18 PM   #107
Spook
Bring Bail Money
Rep
Drives:

Dead thread. Just folks being argumentative at this point.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2008, 07:27 PM   #108
Guibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Motorcycles are fun but useless in practicality.
I don't see how you can say a Miata/Fit combo is not good for fun+utility/$.
So, you would grant the Miata virtues of practicality, but you're not willing to do the same for the 135i. Hmm...interesting double standard!:wink: Applying your own logic of 135i vs Miata to Miata vs sportbike, you should see what a poor choice the Miata is in fun/$.
As for practicality, the sportbike gets better economy, you can split-lanes or use carpool lanes even w/o passenger, and find infinitely more parking space. But if your measure of practicality is solely cargo carrying capacity, the 135i has the Miata trumped.
How can I say a Miata/Fit combo is not a good one? Simple. I'm using your own line of reasoning (and taking into account your new vs used value judgement): a $1000 used sportbike is vastly more involving than a Miata (good luck leaning a Miata into a corner), and any number of good used minivans can be had for less than $2000 (Previa, MPV, etc). Those alternatives make your Miata/Fit combo look absolutely ridiculous if all you're after is a combo of (fun+utility)/$.
If you want an old E30/E36, then go ahead and get one. I have driven various examples, some fun, some not so fun, some that would require a small fortune to put right due to owner neglect/abuse. Their existence in the used car market should have no bearing on the worth of a brand new $35K+ car. That is why most reputable mags rightly compare apples to apples (new vs new).
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 09:28 AM   #109
whya1?
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
That is why most reputable mags rightly compare apples to apples (new vs new).

Apples to apples I feel that the miata/fit combo is a much better deal for fun than a 135. Both of those cars are lightweight and fun to drive.

The Fit is much more practical than a 135 (better fuel economy, more space, cheaper to maintain)

The Miata is more fun than a 135 (convertible, lightweight, nimble handling).

I never compared the 135's practicallity to a miata; only a miata to a sport bike.

True, the 135 is greater than either car individually but combined they are better. The BMW will be faster on a track but if you are looking for fun everyday at LEGAL speeds I argue it is hard to beat a miata. You can't mock a miata until you have driven one; having driven and owned both i can honestly saw the miata was more fun.

Last thought..image of the cars. Miatas might be gay but sportbike drivers have a negative image as well as BMW drivers. Just have to pick your poison. I prefer gay over the alternative (ever here about the only difference between a porcupine a BMW?)
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 10:27 AM   #110
silversh
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Apples to apples I feel that the miata/fit combo is a much better deal for fun than a 135. Both of those cars are lightweight and fun to drive.
Along the same lines, I suppose you could recommend a 128i and a sportbike for the money -- all the luxury and ride for 95% of driving, and when you really need to feel that rush....
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread