BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #1
jimswanson
Rep
Drives:

ANyone else having these problems???

Today, I visited my BMW dealer to have a couple of problems corrected. The driver's side window is inoperative (luckliy in the up position) and the driver's side mirror has a crack in it. I notified the dealer of the issues I had and made an appointment for today.
When I got to the dealer, I pulled right in to their service bay and to my surprise, there was an identical 128 convertible right in front of me. What was really interesting is that it too had an identical crack in the mirror and I mean identical! Obviously, BMW has a problem to fix and just replacing the existing mirror is not going to work.
After leaving the car at the dealer for a few hours, I returned to pick up the car. I was disapointed to find out that even thought they knew the problems I had, they had neither the replacement mirror or the window lift motor I now need. This is particulartly inconvienent because I have a 1:45 drive one way. Also of interest is that the parts are not available in the US and are back ordered to Germany. They could not give me an ETA. I suspect there is a serious problem with these parts failing and the stock has been depleted.
I also had questions on using the memory feature for the seats and mirrors using the two different key fobs. It turns out one of the fobs is not working correctly. And a brand new problem started just today at the dealer when the trunk no longer opens from the remote release of the key fobs. They are to look in to these issues when I return for the other problems.
The car is a blast to drive but I am surprised with the problems I have had already. Is anyone else having these issues???

Jim
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
Severious
Private
Rep
Drives:

Wow that sucks, an hour and forty-five minute drive one way? I guess its just all pain in a 1'er that's got issues.

I haven't noticed any issues with the door mirror but pics would be the easiest way of checking against what issue you might have. Plus I couldn't help but notice your in NH and you have had some cold weather, and this is winter number 1 of the 1...so could their be an issue with your mirror and the cold? Especially, sense you said their was an identical mirror that you saw? Cold weather folks have any input?
Black Boston Leather
Walnut Trim

Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Ipod/USB interface, Premium Audio, BMW Security System

Ordered: March 8, 2008
RE-ordered: June 20, 2008
Production complete: July 7, 2008
Delivered: August 5, 2008

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

We've had some bone-numbing cold here this season and I have had no problems except for a couple low tire pressure lights after leaving it parked in the cold for several hours (expected).
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
turner23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

sucks

sorry to hear 'bout the problems. As the mirrors on our cars are heated, I would guess the mirrors are cracking in this cold winter due to thermal shock.

Any pics of said mirror?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 04:44 AM   #5
White1
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 128i AW/Prem/PremAudio

Im not sure what the mirror issue might be, im not thinking its the cold, because i live in Saskatchewan/Canada, and im 1.5 months into winter, and our winters are nasty. Im not sure how to convert to fahrenheit from celsius, but our temps this month have been a constant 35 below zero, add to that a windchill factor, and my mirrors are holding up fine.
BMW might just be having issues with glass period. I got a stone chip in my windshield, and it cracked 3 inches instantly. I had it replaced, and the new glass had a ripple effect thing going on the passenger side; i took it back, the winshield has been warrantied, and this one also has a bit of a ripple effect, which im just gonna live with cuz if its a bad batch, im probably the first 1er to go thru 3 windshiels, and who knows how many bad ones are left in stock.
I guess this is the kind of thing that first year models must go thru, in order to be perfected.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 04:50 AM   #6
123D-M
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 123d M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
My car is sitting outside in between -10 and -20 degrees centigrade and everything is fine except the windscreen washer keeps freezing. Needs some anti-freeze I think.

Very occasionally I hear a small clunk when my drivers window goes down so hopefully that is not a sign of impending failure...
2009 123D Coupe | Sedona Red | Black Boston Leather | Brushed Aluminium Trim | Tinted Windows | M-Sport Package | 6M | Comfort Access | Heated Seats | Navigation | Park Distance Front & Rear | USB | Bluetooth | Voice Control | Efficient Dynamics | Rain & Light Sensors | Xenon Lights
My blog: http://urbanemusings.wordpress.com/
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 07:10 AM   #7
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!
Canada
Rep
Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
Mine has been outside in temps of up to -41.9 Celsius (roughly -40-something Fahrenheit -- we set a record low this past Sunday) this winter and it's fine.
2011 BMW 1-series M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange (sold)
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 07:31 AM   #8
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

-40 deg C and -40 deg F are exactly the same temperature (very damn cold)

0 deg C and 32 deg F are the same temp (water freezes).

100 deg C and 212 deg F are the same temp (water boils).

10 deg c is 50 deg F - a cool day
20 deg C is 68 deg F - a nice summer day.
30 deg C is 86 deg F - a hot day

To convert from deg C to deg F - multiply by 1.8 and add 32.
To convert from deg F to deg C - subtract 32 and divide by 1.8
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2009, 01:07 PM   #9
jimswanson
Rep
Drives:

Here's a picture

For those of you that wanted a picture of the mirrir crack, I am attempting to add one here. From what I'm reading in this thread, maybe I need to move to a colder climate to avoid problems though I'm more likely to move to Key West. I will be driving the car there toward the end of February so I hope I get the window fixed so I can put the top down. After all... that is why we have convertibles.

It just so happened that the day I drove to the dealer, it was snowing like a blizzard and I must say I was very impressed with the performance of the 1 in snow.

I also got to drive a 2009 328 while my car was in the shop. I was surprised with the difference in feel between the two cars. My 128 just felts so much more in tune with me and the road. The 328 just seemed heaver and the stearing was less responsive. Of course, the loaner was an automatic and maybe that was a lot of the problem as I have become quite fond of the 6 speed manual gear box and the joy of shifting.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #10
jimswanson
Rep
Drives:

ooops

I guess I need to work on my image loading technique.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #11
Guildenstern
or Rosencrantz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 128i

Garage List
2008 128i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
-40 deg C and -40 deg F are exactly the same temperature (very damn cold)

0 deg C and 32 deg F are the same temp (water freezes).

100 deg C and 212 deg F are the same temp (water boils).

10 deg c is 50 deg F - a cool day
20 deg C is 68 deg F - a nice summer day.
30 deg C is 86 deg F - a hot day

To convert from deg C to deg F - multiply by 1.8 and add 32.
To convert from deg F to deg C - subtract 32 and divide by 1.8
Or type into Google (our dear and glorious leader):
"10 C to F" and hit search.:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 07:20 PM   #12
jimswanson
Rep
Drives:

Date: Nov 2008

Mein auto: US
View My Garage

I returned to the dealer yesterday and had a very good experience that solved all my issues. They replaced the window motor with one from a car on the lot and also replaced outside driver side mirror. I also learned that there is a switch inside the glovebox that disables the trunk from opening. And I also learned that there is a setip option for how nthe key fobs work. Bottom line... everything is fixed and I am ready to enjoy this very special car once again. It sure sounds good in second gear as the RPMs creap up near 7500. I can't wait to take this car on our vacation in March to Key West. Hoping for some top down miles. Jim

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 12:09 PM   #13
riguy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X3 M-Sport 28i

Garage List
I picked up my car on Wednesday and just noticed this morning my passenger mirror has a nasty crack down the middle. I haven't even had the car 48 hours...I don't want to drop it off yet, I'm having too much fun! LOL I guess I'll call to make an appointment though, or at least log it with them so they are aware and can order the part.
Appreciate 0