BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #23
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I would get the Boxter. Such a good looking car.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #24
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X6M

Just watched this video with a MINI JCW GP behind the new M5 on the Ring. HOLY MOLY! I can't believe how well the MINI goes toe-to-toe with the 560HP M5. Unsurprisingly, the M5 pulls away like a rocketship on the straights, but the M5 really struggles to compete on the corners. I know that the M5 weighs a huge amount more, but it's still surprising just how good the MINI JCW is against the M5. Bearing, this is the GP version, which has a few more HP (only 3 more horsepower, actually) and bigger brakes (6 piston vs. 4 piston on the regular JCW), but I'll bet the JCW non-GP would come very close to what a GP version can do as it's only marginally better.

Quite impressive video!

I guess the reality though is that I'll be driving on the road and not a track and that straight line speed (from the 135 in this case) would be much appreciated. However, there's no denying that the MINI JCW can tackle the corners much better than the 135. Then again on the other hand, the JCW is FWD and the 135 is RWD, so you can turn into the corners better with the JCW, but you'll probably have more fun coming out of them with the 135.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #25
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I would get the Boxter. Such a good looking car.
I'm almost certain I will... IF I get approved on the financing. I'm putting $25K down, so I need to get approved for a loan of $39.9K on the Boxster, whereas I would only need $30K for the 135i, and just $22K for the JCW.

The Boxster is perfect for me in every way except one... horsepower. I only wish it had about 50 more horsepower. That's what the Boxster S has got (which is literally *the* perfect car for me), but I can't afford that right now (or more accurately... can't get approved for that right now because it would of been a loan for $54k and no one wants to give a $50k+ loan to anyone with no previous auto history on their credit).

Last edited by BMWCali; 02-02-2013 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #26
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep

Just got approved by BMW FS to buy the 135. So I'm good on financing for the BMW or MINI. Just comes down to whether I can get approved for the Boxster. If not, it will be between the 135 and MINI JCW.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #27
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

46K for a mini is absurd to me, and I can be counted as one of the biggest mini fanboys there ever was. How will you tell the difference? Build quality. Plain and simple. I know that doesn't sound like much, but the materials that make up the car, the buzzes and rattles it makes, all matter when you're driving and living with it. 1 series is CLEARLY an entry-level BMW in regard to build quality, materials, general quality. MINI is WELL below that. Porsche, I can't say, because I've never driven one.

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #28
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
46K for a mini is absurd to me, and I can be counted as one of the biggest mini fanboys there ever was. How will you tell the difference? Build quality. Plain and simple. I know that doesn't sound like much, but the materials that make up the car, the buzzes and rattles it makes, all matter when you're driving and living with it. 1 series is CLEARLY an entry-level BMW in regard to build quality, materials, general quality. MINI is WELL below that. Porsche, I can't say, because I've never driven one.
The $47k MINI JCW Roadster I spec'd actually has a bit better interior quality than a regular MINI. The one I spec'd has the full leather dash and that amps up the feel of the interior quite a bit. I absolutely understand what you mean about build quality in general though. The MINI just feels much more rugged versus BMW. Even the doors when you open and close them, it feels a lot more like a Jeep. The doors open and close very loud.

That said, the steering and turn-in on the MINI is so precise (probably the best of any car I've ever driven) that it makes me want it. And the JCW has an exciting little engine and some great brakes that pull it to a halt from 60MPH in only 110 feet.

I don't mind spending $47k on a MINI, I just wish there was more literature on why it's so expensive. There's got to be a reason. MINI's do seem like they are expensive for the quality of the build materials. Looking at and touching a MINI in a dealer lot and it seems like an overpriced car, but it definitely has the driving chops for that price.

The build on the 2013 Boxster is fantastic and at least a step above the 1 series and much closer to the build quality of the 5 or 6 series. Literally the only thing that wouldn't be perfect about the Boxster is that it takes 5.4 seconds to get to 60MPH. I would also love comfort access and active cruise control, but those are just tech gadgets and I can easily live without them. Interestingly, the new 2013 Cayman has both comfort access and active cruise control as options while the Boxster with the same chassis doesn't, except the Cayman isn't a convertible which kills it for me.

Last edited by BMWCali; 02-02-2013 at 11:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #29
BMWCali
Expect the Unusual
United_States
Rep

Just got back from driving the 135is convertible and 135i convertible back to back. And, surprisingly, I actually liked the 135i more. The exhaust note on the 135is was nice, but to be honest, I couldn't tell a difference in power between the two and I floored each at least 3 times during the test drive. And while the sound on the 135is was definitely nicer, it seemed like the exhaust pipes stuck out almost to the point where you could burn your leg if getting something out of the trunk -- almost looked like they stuck out too far and definitely further than the exhaust pipes on the 135i. I also felt the stiffer springs on the 135is, but it didn't seem to make anything more than a 5 or 10% difference going through the corners and it felt about 20 or 25% less comfortable over bumps in the road over the 135i.

What's funny is that I saw a really nice looking Z4is as I was leaving and it got me thinking that maybe I should of test drove that, too, since I'm really looking for a roadster. The biggest problem with the Z4 though (without having driving it yet) is that due to the new refresh, there aren't any allocations out there until April, I believe. So I guess they aren't making new Z4s for a couple of months? Which means I'd have to find one I like in inventory with a dealer, which might be impossible because I'm pretty specific and it would also have to be a dealer that agrees to my terms.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #30
NavyChop93
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is Convertible

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
[QUOTE=BMWCali;13417421]Just got back from driving the 135is convertible and 135i convertible back to back. And, surprisingly, I actually liked the 135i more. The exhaust note on the 135is was nice, but to be honest, I couldn't tell a difference in power between the two and I floored each at least 3 times during the test drive. And while the sound on the 135is was definitely nicer, it seemed like the exhaust pipes stuck out almost to the point where you could burn your leg if getting something out of the trunk -- almost looked like they stuck out too far and definitely further than the exhaust pipes on the 135i. I also felt the stiffer springs on the 135is, but it didn't seem to make anything more than a 5 or 10% difference going through the corners and it felt about 20 or 25% less comfortable over bumps in the road over the 135i.

Interesting and thanks for sharing. Did the 135i have the M-Sport package?

If yes, my understanding is that there was no additional suspension mods made to the 135is and so I would expect the ride and handling to be similar unless a difference could somehow be attributed to the actual wheels. The tires are appratenly 10mm larger in the rear on the 135is but, again, not super significant.

I could have my facts wrong on suspension mods done in addition to the inclusion of the M Sport package as standard on the 135is, so I'd be interested for the community to confirm that thought or set me straight?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #31
foghat
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCali View Post
The build on the 2013 Boxster is fantastic and at least a step above the 1 series and much closer to the build quality of the 5 or 6 series. Literally the only thing that wouldn't be perfect about the Boxster is that it takes 5.4 seconds to get to 60MPH. I would also love comfort access and active cruise control, but those are just tech gadgets and I can easily live without them. Interestingly, the new 2013 Cayman has both comfort access and active cruise control as options while the Boxster with the same chassis doesn't, except the Cayman isn't a convertible which kills it for me.
Not sure what the elevation is where you are located, but keep in mind the higher the altitude, slower things go. NA engines are affected by altitude more than forced induction engines - so...something to think about, I guess, if performance is important.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #32
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Does the 135iS include the additional cooler on the left side and upgraded cooling fan?

If so that would be a big + over the I. And, if it's only a couple grand more for the IS consider you can sell the BMW performance Exhaust and wheels and make most of it back. That's of course if you planned on modding anyways.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #33
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Yes it does as those are part of the PPK 2.

For confirmation, you can check out the press release which has all the specs here:

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...9d-Models.aspx

And of particular interest for you on the radiator fan and the additional driver's side auxiliary radiator (you can see it if you look in the lower air vent):

"The engine cooling system has been upgraded to match the additional performance output by adding a larger, and more powerful radiator fan and an auxiliary radiator."
Appreciate 0