Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #24
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of690 View Post
Will someone send me an M button so I can push it!!! My car is never going to be here! Then I can sit and push push and dream on . Hahaha
There's a sport mode mod you can do on the S54 and (I think) the S52 M Roadsters and Coupes.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 07:12 PM   #25
evoiii90
Private
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

Even though I enjoy the whole concept of the ///M button, I was a little disappointed coming from an E90 M3 with iDrive where you can setup what the ///M button will change in terms of settings...

On E9x M3s with iDrive, you can change the following settings:

- Throttle response: Normal, Sport
- Traction Control setting: Normal (ie, fully active), MDM, Off
- Electronic Suspension or EDC if equipped: (Confort, Normal, Sport)

Since my 1M came with iDrive, I was expecting the same kind of adjustability like with the M3, I mean, minus EDC.

When I realized there is NO option to set the ///M Button, I was disappointed... reason being I don't like the very sensitive response of the throttle in Sport mode, it's too sensitive.

On my former M3 I had the ///M Button set to:

Throttle: Normal
Traction Control: Off
EDC: Sport.

I just wish they would have done the same with the 1M, at least with cars with iDrive. At the end it's just software they have to change, actually, not even change, just use the one from the M3. It's probably the same iDrive software architecture sending commands to the different controllers, in this case probably DME and ABS controllers.

I know, I know, I could just use the DSC button and turn traction control off ... But since the ///M Button is there, why not use to its fullest potential...

Sold: 1990 Euro Brilliant Rot Sport Evolution E30 M3
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 07:44 PM   #26
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

For a supposedly back to basics car it is still too complex. To drive just about anywhere I have to press the starter, press the idrive, press the MDM, press the M. Not to mention press the seat belt and press the seat memory, but these would be done in any car anyway.
The M button on is a little too touchy in stop start traffic and the M off is too sluggish just about everywhere so just one default setting somewhere in between the M on and M off would be ideal. And while I'm at it, the brake pedal is too touchy as well as the pedal being too high relative to the throttle pedal, consequently with M off it is difficult to apply smooth heel and toe, especially at lower speeds. M on changes the throttle response enough to enable h & t fairly smoothly which is why I use M on all the time. I can understand the need for MDM but the intermediate setting does not allow the "limited drift angles" I was led to expect. More leeway in this setting would delay frustrated owners trying the full off mode and thereby increasing the chances of a "big moment" for the unwary and/or unskilled. And this car is very very capable of "BIG moments". You do need to be alert and quick to catch the 1M when it lets go. Some training on a closed course with traction off should be a prerequisite for first time owners at this performance level. Don't know about other countries but in Australia when you buy an M car, any M car, it comes with a driver training course.

Edit - Rereading this prompts me to add that the above is intended for BMW to note as an owner's comments on an otherwise fantastic car. Future owners need not be put off as you will not be disappointed.

Last edited by gazz; 07-29-2011 at 08:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #27
UNO///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW BMW 1M

I'm in serious trouble my wife drove my car tonight and press the M button and she said that she is hooked. I knew i shouldn't let her tried.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2011, 07:06 PM   #28
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: fast, but could be faster

On the 1M doesn't the M button do nothing more than change the mapping of the throttle pedal?

Meaning, wouldn't you get the exact same effect as the M button just by pressing the gas pedal more?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 02:56 AM   #29
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnm View Post
On the 1M doesn't the M button do nothing more than change the mapping of the throttle pedal?

Meaning, wouldn't you get the exact same effect as the M button just by pressing the gas pedal more?
No, not really. With the M button pressed I found the throttle response a LOT sharper....almost as sharp as my Lotus Exige!

You could press the throttle harder, but it wouldn't make the response any sharper. In M-mode it feels more instant and on the power immediately.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 09:13 AM   #30
Ky1M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Z3-M///Coupe ,AW1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of690 View Post
Will someone send me an M button so I can push it!!! My car is never going to be here! Then I can sit and push push and dream on . Hahaha
There's a sport mode mod you can do on the S54 and (I think) the S52 M Roadsters and Coupes.
No button on my s54 M///Coupe, maybe it was a option or just another thing the cars in the US didn't get.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2011, 07:49 PM   #31
oldBMWguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 1M [Finally !]

I think I am a "+1 for Late Oct"... My AW is suposed to be built starting 15 Aug... am hoping for PCD somtime in Oct-- cant wait,,, but will have to!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 03:21 AM   #32
kmpowell
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
No, not really. With the M button pressed I found the throttle response a LOT sharper....almost as sharp as my Lotus Exige!

In M-mode it feels more instant and on the power immediately.
Yup, exactly what it feels like. The whole car comes alive and feels eager to go, even the slightest touch on the loud pedal and you're off into the sunset!
      08-01-2011, 03:33 AM   #33
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpowell View Post
No wonder M3 drivers are on the major defensive!

Yep. Knew I bought the wrong car. Your M button is better than mine.
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 03:36 AM   #34
kmpowell
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totti View Post

Yep. Knew I bought the wrong car. Your M button is better than mine.
Congratulations - you win the "taking something completely out of context and turning it into something it isn't" award.