BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-22-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
juniormint
Private
Rep
Drives: soon to be 135i

Camber Adjustments?

Anyone know how much camber adjustments will be available in the 1, I'm not really expecting much from the factory but I know on my mini that I have know of all the suspension work I have on it, it was the camber that made the most corner hugging difference.

Also I know the theories for FWD but with RWD what are you looking for? My mini has -1.9 in the front and -1 in the rear with a 25mm rear sway so it claws through corners. I want to get similar cornering ability from the 1 but I need to learn how to work with RWD dynamics

When I drive my dads E46 M3 it seems that the front wheels are not to edger to turn and the rear wheels are seemingly lifting up the back end, especially the inside, pulling the car out of the turn. My mini on the other hand, the front is seemingly throughs out grappling hooks to pull through the turn while the rear is following a nice arch working the car through the turn. So my opinion is basically my mini wants to corner while the M would rather not. Now I know comparing a factory car to a heavily mod'd car like my mini is kind of apples to oranges and so is FWD to RWD but what I want to know is if I can get a 1 to through out the hooks like my mini?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2007, 10:14 PM   #2
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

It will be interesting to see what this platform really likes in terms of negative camber.

On the e46 M3 race car we have darn near -4 up front (the e46 M3 really loves negative camber up front), but close to OEM camber in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2007, 10:52 PM   #3
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottn2retro View Post
On the e46 M3 race car we have darn near -4 up front (the e46 M3 really loves negative camber up front), but close to OEM camber in the rear.
OOOOF -4?!?!?

I hope the 135i likes a LOT less than that cause mine has to do street AND track duty and I don't want to be eating tires on a monthly basis.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 11:50 AM   #4
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford View Post
OOOOF -4?!?!?

I hope the 135i likes a LOT less than that cause mine has to do street AND track duty and I don't want to be eating tires on a monthly basis.
If the 135 really likes -2, that would be ideal (but we race, so it would probably take a little more than to be perfect)
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 12:29 PM   #5
juniormint
Private
Rep
Drives: soon to be 135i

^^ on your race car how are the settings different than the factory car? you said you have more neg camber in the front but just about factory in the rear. What have you done with right height and sway bars? what about spring rates? I dont need exact numbers, im just trying to get an idea how to make a RWD car pull through the turns better.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 02:20 PM   #6
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorMint View Post
^^ on your race car how are the settings different than the factory car? you said you have more neg camber in the front but just about factory in the rear. What have you done with right height and sway bars? what about spring rates? I dont need exact numbers, im just trying to get an idea how to make a RWD car pull through the turns better.
The things above are all inter-related with the weight of the car, the suspension design (how much the car understeers from the factory), and the type of tires (as far as max spring rates).

For example, the e46 M3 does not need a lot of rear sway, so we just have the OEM rear sway bar. We do have an aftermarket front sway. We have great tire grip (Nitto NT01 R-comp tires in large size), so we can run spring rates that you will not see on any street kit. But our springs do lower the car quite a bit (this race car has coilovers).

Some tricks for reducing understeer (along with more negative camber) are bigger front tires (like same size as the rear tires) and spacing out the front wheels for a wider track.
Appreciate 0